“Outstanding!”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #14 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I spend three nights in this hotel on a weekend in October 2013 and I can only recommend it. The hotel is centrally located in the edge of the red light district in the old city. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable with huge, extra cosy beds. The bathroom was a bit on the small side but had all the luxuries one can expect. The only downside here was that it is only separated by a glass door from the room which does not provide too much privacy in certain situations. Apart from the that room was simply great.

The service is outstanding. The staff was always very attentive and friendly. The noticed by themselves that one of the days was my girlfiend's birthday and surprised us with a birthday cake in our room. Very thoughtful!

All in all: Location, rooms and in particular the service could not be better.

Only the spa left some room for improvement. This is the reason why I gave "only" four stars for this place. Sauna and pool are niche but there is no real chill-out zone available. You have to sit in one of the chairs by the pool which can be a bit noisy and there is no room to lie back. Also the massages service was not what we expected. The masseur did not speak much English (which is seldom in the Netherlands) and the massage session was interrupted several times by other people entering the room by mistake. Not very relaxing. These are all complaints on a very high level - but hey it is luxury hotel and the spa (and only the spa!) did not fully match our expectations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sodasan
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted to read your kind words about the service we offer. At The Grand it is our daily passion to create memorable experiences and it is pleasure to read we have succeeded in your matter.

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding our So|Spa. I would like to assure you that we will take your comments into action.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I recently stayed a week at this superb hotel. The entire staff (particularly those who served breakfast) were simply outstanding. The breakfast itself was exceptional, and the rooms were a delight to come back to after long walks exploring the city. The location is great, enabling us to easily explore one of the world's great cities. The building itself is lovely and historically interesting. We will be back (if the budget allows it!).

Room Tip: Our room (242) overlooks a canal and was perfect!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ndes
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam for your recent stay. It is most kind of you to leave such a lovely comment on TripAdvisor, especially your delightful words about our breakfast team are very much appreciated. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel that provided you quick access to the city centre.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back to The Grand next time you are in Amsterdam.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have just enjoyed a 4 night stay at this hotel and, although it is expensive, I cannot find any fault with it. It has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and I do travel a lot. The building itself is magnificent and full of historical interest (there are daily 20 minute tours explaining its history). The location is perfect - 5-10 minutes to Dam Square, the staff are wonderfully friendly and eager to help and the beds!!! What can I say?? I have never slept in such a big, comfortable, squashy bed before! It is a truly luxurious hotel and this is reflected in the price but I have stayed in other 5 star hotels that have not been so deserving. I hope to stay here again some day!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

I am very pleased to read your enjoyable stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. Your description of the Sofitel My|Bed is just a delight to read!

It is indeed correct that our building has a very rich history which goes all the way back to the 15th century. I am therefore very happy to read that you were able to join our daily historical tour.

The entire team and I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The warmest of welcomes and friendliest staff make you feel right at home from the moment you arrive . We were here as part of an anniversary trip and they sent champagne to help us celebrate within minutes of checking in . This historic building is beautiful and the fitout has done it justice . The room was stylishly decorated , spacious and light . Great bathroom and amenities .Wonderfully comfortable bed . The communal spaces - Bar , reception , breakfast room etc are again stylish and the floral displays stunning . The garden and terrace offer a quiet and beautiful retreat from the bustle and buzz of Amsterdam streets . A great place to stay . We'll definitely be back .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you very much for the effort you took to leave your lovely comment on TripAdvisor. It a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the historical building and floral arrangements by our award winning floral boutique the Floral Designers.

It was a honor to contribute to the special occasion you were celebrating with us and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We are just back from a fantastic 4 day break at this hotel. Brought our 4 children, booked 2 rooms. Expensive but worth it.

The staff are just lovely and couldn't have been more welcoming to our children. Even at breakfast when our toddler refused to sit down. The restaurant manager couldn't have been warmer or happier to see us in the morning and the breakfasts are luxurious and delicious. Definitely suggest a b&b rate as otherwise expensive.

Location is perfect for exploring and the hotel has great restaurant recommendations including casual and good value ones.

We would love to return.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Deirdre M
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your most kinds words on TripAdvisor, and I speak on the behalf of the entire team when I say they are a true motivator for everyone.

It is a true pleasure to read that you and your family have enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the recommendations given by my team. May I suggest that we also offer family rates which might be beneficial if we would have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our hotel.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

First of all, the staff make you feel special the moment you arrive.
I brought my car with me from home, which was whisked away by the concierge to be parked for the duration of my stay (Euro 50 per day), as the charm of this Hotel is it is so central.
Check in is immediate, and very smooth, and room 450 is a wonderful spacious suite, with a Bose music system, Huge walk in shower, large bath, plenty of free Evian water, a well stocked mini bar, and all the wonderful Hermes products you expect from Sofitel world wide.
I ate in the main restaurant, and I have to say the food was first class - I am quite surprised they don't have a Michelin star!, and the service is impeccable.
I did not find the time to use the Spa sadly, but the bar's and restaurants were all very good.

I have to rank this Hotel as one of the best I have stayed in world wide, perhaps THE best.
It's central position, and amazing service, coupled with superb food choices.

Well done Accor/Sofitel - now sort out your Paris Hotels please!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

I would like to thank you for sharing this lovely comment. Every day it is our passion to treat all of our guests with our products and services.

I am very pleased to read that the luxury room you booked was so comfortable for you. Moreover, we are honoured to read the grand words you dedicated to our restaurant Bridges.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

All was perfect : reception, room, restaurant (excellent fish food), breakfast. In the city center. Sofitel is a great quality made. It was the city hall of Amsterdam. The renovation of the hotel is very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

It is always a pleasure to read a wonderful review like yours on TripAdvisor, thank you! I am most pleased to read that you enjoyed our award-winning restaurant Bridges where we combine the French cuisine with local ingredients.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.