“Lovely Hotel in the Heart of Old Amsterdam”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #18 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely Hotel in the Heart of Old Amsterdam”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, with acres of history and culture. It is stylish, classy, historical, modern and old with great customer service. I was there speaking at a conference and so had two nights in a 4th floor room overlooking the canal. From arriving to departing, the staff could not help more, at the check in, to breakfast and just around. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and more could always be made for you. Lunch was lovely and light. Dinner was good. The rooms are all quite different, mine was nice, though it could have done with more plug sockets and the lighting was too soft to work easily. Bathroom was smart and clean and modern. I will definately go back on a social/holiday basis. The only downside was my spa treatment - massage - which was not bad, but not up to the quality of the rest of the hotel or any other top spa i have used

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NickMarsh
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Grand.

Perhaps next time you are in Amsterdam and hopefully again staying in The Grand, you would like to join the historical tour that is offered daily. This tour gives a little bit more insight of the hotel, for example on our Marriage Chamber that was painted in 1926 by Chris Lebeau.

I am sorry however to read that you are less satisfied with the quality of the spa treatment. Plese rest assured that I will share your comments with the Spa Manager.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back in The Grand !

Denis Dupart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed at The Grand on a recent business trip. My company was holding a conference at the hotel. I had a standard room, which was small but well-appointed and very comfortable. The location is central Amsterdam on one of the main canals, with a great deal to see and do within a short walk.
The hotel is upscale with excellent service. The dining room was excellent; I believe it has a Michelin star. The conference facilities were across the courtyard in a separate building and accommodated our needs quite nicely.
I enjoyed my stay, but I might look for something a bit less expensive if I were traveling with my family.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank leom5558
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in The Grand. We find it extremely important that each and every guest, regardless whether you are here for business or leisure, feels comfortable during his stay and that he will lack nothing !

We hope that, even though you might have found The Grand a bit expensive, you will consider staying with us on your next trip to Amsterdam, with your family.

Dubai
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The hotel has 2 great qualities:
1- It is a very high end hotel, with beautiful interior decoration, art pieces, etc.
2- It is very centrally located

One word of caution: you can walk from the central train station to the hotel, but don't be surprised/scared (?) if you find yourself walking through the red light district. The hotel is literally just at the edge of the district. Some nice restaurants around too.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and it’s location. It is a pleasure to read that you appreciated the design and art in the hotel.
Indeed we are super centrally located, which gives our guests the opportunity to easily explore Amsterdam.

We hope you will choose The Grand again should you visit Amsterdam in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Mr Dupart may I congratulate you on this exceptional hotel.The Sofitel achieves standards of excellence other 5 star hotels can only aspire to- indeed many will never reach !!Before our holiday Nathalie in reservations made a lasting impression with excellent communication but with a lovely personal touch.A true ambassador of the hotel.First impressions are lasting ones.
We were lucky enough to stay in a Junior Suite and were greeted by our butler ,Carlos who was very informative,helpful and professional.We had such reassurance our every need would be taken care of.The room was spacious with a lovely view over one of the canals.,,amazing bathroom with TV which my daughter loved,beautiful Hermes toiletries.The bed was so comfortable.The turn down service was a lovely treat with Evian water and a little waffle each night.
The staff in the hotel completely exceeded our expectations-they genuinely did care and worked so hard to ensure everything was perfect.Always a friendly smile.However whilst providing the excellent service still managed to maintain a friendly totally relaxed atmosphere.This is a unique gift and not only very difficult to reach but to maintain.However all the staff displayed the same consistent concepts of pure excellence.Amazing !!!
Breakfast was incredible,with a beautiful selection and the hot dishes were made to order.It is easy to see why Bridges has achieved their recent award.The girls at breakfast a special thanks and for making my daughter feel so special.They actually remember your plans for the day and ask all about them at breakfast the next day.They say it is the little things in life that make a difference but at the Sofitel there are so many extra little things that add to the experience.
The location is a quiet oasis of tranquillity ,nestled between two canals yet 3 mins walk from Dam Square.All attractions are within walking distance.
The history tour of the hotel was fascinating,again the member of staff made it so special.Michael Jackson stayed at the hotel and bought hot chocolate for hundreds of fans and press who were waiting outside in the cold.The hotel remembers this lovely gesture and has named the MJ hot chocolate in memory of the star.It was so relaxing to sit in the library and drink the delicious hot chocolate.
I looked at many hotels before I booked the Sofitel but after a few secs I realised it was certainly
the right decision.I don't think We could return to Amsterdam and stay anywhere else!!!
Thank you for the beautiful memories-priceless.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lesley A
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
It makes me so proud of the entire team of The Grand when I read a review like yours. I am very happy that we are able to provide a true five-star experience !

We believe that service above all is supposed to be in detail: even for just the small treat at the turn-down service or the MJ hot chocolate. I am pleased to read that all these little details conributed to the overall finding.
Your kind comments are much appreciated and I have shared them with the team.

Once again thank you for your lovely review and I hope to soon welcome you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Uberaba, MG
Reviewed 20 February 2014

If it is your first time in Amsterdam, this is the place to be. Located in the heart of the city, walking distance from anything you might want to see or do, in a quiet alley just off one of the main canals. The property is beautiful and quite impressive, specially when it is lit at night.
Some people might be concerned about the hotel being so close to infamous red light district and the very many coffee shops, but that is one of the most well kept, well lit and well guarded areas of the city, so there is nothing to worry about.
Being a Platinum Le Club member, I was upgraded to a larger room, which was lovely. Two reasons why I wouldn't give the hotel top score:

1) Doube bed was in fact 2 single beds put together. That makes the middle of the bed extremely uncomfortable to lie on. And also, I found the mattress way too soft, which gave me a bit of back pain in the morning. But Sofitel MyBed is world famous, so I suppose it is a matter of personal taste.

2) There is a small TV on the bathtube and it was frustrating to realize it didn't work after preparing myself a nice bath and getting ready to relax from a long sightseeing day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RodrigoHueb
Thank you very much for your review and I am glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel and your room.

However, I am sorry to learn that you think the bed was too soft. Should you decide to come back to The Grand, we will be happy to remove the surmatelas from the bed to make it less soft.
Thank you also for your remark about the tv in the bathroom; I have immediately notified our Chief Engineering about this issue.

I hope to welcome you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand on your next trip to Amsterdam.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here quite a few times now and it's by far my favourite in Amsterdam. Warm welcomes, small attentions in the room. Friendly and helpful staff.
Now that they've added a bistro I'm even a bigger fan. The food in the restaurant Bridges is amazing, but sometimes you want somethng a bit more simple. Although 'simple' doesn't do the bistro's food justice as it's truly exquisite as well. And the wines !
Only little downside is the morning breakfast. When you go early (I'm always there when it opens) the service is not yet warmed up so I do get frustrated from time to time having to wait 15 minutes for my first cup of the day. Last time when I had to check-out in a rush and had no time for breakfast they did bring me a cup for take-away while checking out. Loved the attention, thanks again. Super to start the day like that. So a big thank you to all the staff for the many fine stays and see you soon.

Room Tip: When you're on the top floor and it's raining you might hear the constant sound of the water...