The Grand was our final destination after a two-week vacation in Croatia. We only had a night in Amsterdam and wanted something a little special. Unfortunately, our experience as guests left us unimpressed.
First, it took more than 30 minutes to get the bags to the room, which made us worry they got stolen from the entrance where we left them at check-in. After we contacted reception, the bags were delivered.
Then we found the TV wasn't working properly. Maintenance staff responded promptly to our call but couldn't resolve the issue. Management was kind enough to move us to another room, and while this gesture was appreciated, the switch was a noticeable disruption. I realize no one goes to Amsterdam to watch TV, but when you're paying luxury hotel rates, it's reasonable to expect room equipment to function properly.
Both rooms had a slight but still unmistakable sewage smell. We thought it may have been the canal, but upon opening the windows, the outdoor air quality was fine. Also, the room we were moved to (406) had a very loud HVAC system that made sleep difficult and stressful.
Staff were cordial enough, but there was kind of an air of elitism, such as when we were offered a breakfast package for an additional 30 euros per person (regularly 37 euros). I can't imagine what we could possibly eat at breakfast that would cost almost $90.
When we inquired about transportation to Schiphol, staff said they could provide a limousine service. (We didn't bother to ask for a price quote). When we mentioned a cabbie who quoted us a flat rate of 40 euros, staff balked and said a cab ride to the airport would cost "much more" than that.
Luckily, we had the cab driver's card and arranged our own transportation. He came and picked us up the next morning at the hotel in a silver Mercedes and took us to Schiphol for 40 euros as promised, so obviously what staff told us isn't the case.
However, our stay wasn't entirely unpleasant. The bedding and robes were luxurious and the property itself is beautiful and centrally located. It's close to the Red Light district and cafes, but we felt very, very safe walking around.
We will return to Amsterdam at some point, but I am pretty certain we will select another hotel for our next stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, Booking.com, ACCOR, TravelUp, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel