I just got back from a Girls' Weekend with my daughter. We had a wonderful time at the Sofitel Legend and I am definitely coming back with the entire family.
The location is perfect - you are right in the middle of all the action, and the hotel itself is historic and lovely. There is a beautiful innenhof style garden area set up for dinner and drinks, and we had breakfast and also an early dinner here. Fabulous.
The rooms are new, modern-style and have every convenience. The bathrooms are great, everything was new, rain-head shower, all the things one needs were there. Beds were comfortable, our view was of the canals, it was pretty (not most spectacular ever but they can't control that), and we were very comfortable.
We didn't go to the spa but I am sure it would be great too.
The only recommendation I can make is that somehow, the photos on the website do not look as nice as the hotel actually is. The photos look very over-modern and impersonal; I saw a room that was very bright with red banquettes that should be the restaurant. Maybe it is. However, the actual atmosphere of the hotel is much, much warmer and cozier and more welcoming than what is shown on the website. I tried to book us into The Dylan based on the photos but they were full - I am glad that this worked out because I found the Sofitel Legend really, really great and I would have missed this experience otherwise.
Everyone who worked here was really kind and welcoming to me and to my daughter. We especially had a fantastic experience at the outdoor part of the restaurant / bar / lounge area, which is just off the main lobby. This area was very beautiful, an outdoor "hofje", a private space with tables and lounge areas that are tastefully separated by potted trees so that guests can enjoy themselves without sitting cheek by jowl. The service here was also amazing, as was the food. We had breakfast here, and also snacks before leaving for the airport. This area was always busy but never hectic, and the ladies and gentlemen who worked here did a great job of making guests feel welcome but never like a burden.
I also liked the neighbourhood in which the hotel is located. I am sure some people may be put off by the coffee houses right next door, but it really didn't disturb me at all. It just added character to the area; also, the buildings are so, so beautiful and historic, and the canal views make lovely photos.
My daughter and I never felt unsafe walking around the area where the hotel is situated, as I had booked reservations at a really great restaurant about ten minutes' walk away. Since Holland is so far north, it doesn't get dark until late, which may also make it feel safer as well.
All in all, we had a great stay at this hotel, and I am looking forward to my next visit. I also found the prices reasonable for the quality of the hotel and services offered.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, ACCOR, Odigeo, Ebookers, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel