“We Spent a Great Night Here!”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #18 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kusnacht, Switzerland
“We Spent a Great Night Here!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I just got back from a Girls' Weekend with my daughter. We had a wonderful time at the Sofitel Legend and I am definitely coming back with the entire family.
The location is perfect - you are right in the middle of all the action, and the hotel itself is historic and lovely. There is a beautiful innenhof style garden area set up for dinner and drinks, and we had breakfast and also an early dinner here. Fabulous.
The rooms are new, modern-style and have every convenience. The bathrooms are great, everything was new, rain-head shower, all the things one needs were there. Beds were comfortable, our view was of the canals, it was pretty (not most spectacular ever but they can't control that), and we were very comfortable.
We didn't go to the spa but I am sure it would be great too.
The only recommendation I can make is that somehow, the photos on the website do not look as nice as the hotel actually is. The photos look very over-modern and impersonal; I saw a room that was very bright with red banquettes that should be the restaurant. Maybe it is. However, the actual atmosphere of the hotel is much, much warmer and cozier and more welcoming than what is shown on the website. I tried to book us into The Dylan based on the photos but they were full - I am glad that this worked out because I found the Sofitel Legend really, really great and I would have missed this experience otherwise.
Everyone who worked here was really kind and welcoming to me and to my daughter. We especially had a fantastic experience at the outdoor part of the restaurant / bar / lounge area, which is just off the main lobby. This area was very beautiful, an outdoor "hofje", a private space with tables and lounge areas that are tastefully separated by potted trees so that guests can enjoy themselves without sitting cheek by jowl. The service here was also amazing, as was the food. We had breakfast here, and also snacks before leaving for the airport. This area was always busy but never hectic, and the ladies and gentlemen who worked here did a great job of making guests feel welcome but never like a burden.
I also liked the neighbourhood in which the hotel is located. I am sure some people may be put off by the coffee houses right next door, but it really didn't disturb me at all. It just added character to the area; also, the buildings are so, so beautiful and historic, and the canal views make lovely photos.
My daughter and I never felt unsafe walking around the area where the hotel is situated, as I had booked reservations at a really great restaurant about ten minutes' walk away. Since Holland is so far north, it doesn't get dark until late, which may also make it feel safer as well.
All in all, we had a great stay at this hotel, and I am looking forward to my next visit. I also found the prices reasonable for the quality of the hotel and services offered.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank heavycat69
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
I am thrilled to read that you have had such a lovely time at The Grand on your ‘Girl's Weekend’ with your daughter.

By all means, whenever you are planning your next trip to Amsterdam with your family, please do think of us and we will be more than happy to have you !

Remco Groenhuijzen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lennox Head, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights and were so glad we did. The building in which the hotel is located has a long history from the time the original buildings were erected as two nunneries. If staying, make time to take the 11am tour of the building. The hotel is in the red light district and only a couple of minutes walk to Dam Square
Our suite was large with a separate guest toilet and top of the range furnishing. It overlooked one of the beautiful canals. Great bed, linen and towels plus the usual good toiletries. We even had a TV next to the bath!
Breakfast in Bridges Restaurant, while very pleasant, was to my mind grossly expensive and while I like my bacon crisp, carbon black to me is more than just crisp. There are too many reasonably priced cafés nearby not to repeat that experience. Dinner in the bistro at night was satisfactory but certainly not brilliant.
Staff were uniformly courteous, friendly and polite.
Would I stay there again? Like a shot.

Room Tip: Get one that overlooks the canal
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Schlepper1939
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent stay in The Grand.

I have well noted your comment about the bacon at breakfast and will definitely pass this on to the restaurant manager.

We do hope you will stay with us again on your next travels to Amsterdam.

Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Just spent 5 days at this hotel I a junior suite, very nice bathroom and wonderful people , the food and beverage is a bit more pricy but still reasonable given the location of the hotel.

We found d there to be a lack of space to unpack and store our clothe but experienced this at Sofitel properties across Europe .

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing the Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. Our team was delighted to read your comment about your experience.

I have noted your comment on the lack of space to unpack and store your clothes. Should you wish to stay in The Grand again next time you visit Amsterdam, please do indicate that you find there is not enough space to store your clothes and we will find a solution for you. We will be more than happy to provide you with a roll-away clothing rack.

Hope to soon welcome you back in The Grand.

Jakarta
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I am officially in love with the Sofitel brand. Had a wonderful experience in Paris, and now an outstanding stay in Amsterdam. This hotel is located right in the city center where all the happenings are. The staff are all incredibly helpful and goes the extra mile to help us, they also give excellent recommendations for us.

Wifi is free throughout the hotel, and there is a spa with gym that is free to use for all guests. There is a garden area for afternoon tea and also a quiet spot in the library for us to read or use the internet. Even though we checked out in the afternoon, we were allowed to use the hotel facilities till late in the evening because we had a very late flight out of Amsterdam.

This is definitely one of the best hotels I have stayed in Europe. Will be back with friends and recommending it to all!!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the courtyard for quieter stay.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Wow, what a wonderful review! Thank you very much for your kind words and the recommendation to your friends.

I look forward to welcoming you back in The Grand in the near future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We were here during the Gay Day with the famous parade day, the streets were full with people for this event
The building of the hotel was built 1578 and now used as the hotel, very modern room,very nice and i am very happy with the facilities.
The service of the reception and the others staf were super very kind and helpful truly a five star hotel
Very close to the redlight area, right in the city centre full of restaurants, cafe and many others tourist centre
The gym and sauna are free also the internet wifi free from the lobby till the room !
We like the hotel and we will come back to stay
here again
Easy access to any where and every where, love it

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you so much for your recent review. I am most pleased tohear about your great stay, and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the building and the facilities and thought the the staff was super !

Thank you so much once moer, and please do consider staying in The Grand again on your next visit to Amsterdam.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

From what I could see, this is by far the best hotel in the busiest part of Amsterdam. It's located in an incredible position just a stones throw from the Red Light district, yet just far enough away to escape.

Everything you need is within walking distance.
The staff are great, the room is exquisite and the bed so comfortable, the Wi-Fi is good. We had a garden view room, which worked out to be a better choice than one overlooking the street, I imagine this would be very noisy all night long.

There are some great restaurants in the surrounding streets (not in the Red Light district), and so much to explore. The bikes are a bit expensive to hire though at 17.50 Euros each, I would have thought they could have been about half that price.

It poured rain when we were checking out, there were no Taxis, so one of the staff drove us to the train station in his personal car. Now that's service.

We loved Amsterdam and this Hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent stay. I am very happy to see that you have had such a great time with us.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Yours sincerely,