“amzing experience!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
China
“amzing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The location is great, starff are friendly, quiet, from our spacious room, there is a nice view of the canal. we like the desert in room very much.
This experience was memorable. Highly recommended place!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

1 Thank cchen09
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience in The Grand at Tripadvisor. I am glad that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed the room so much.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another luxurious stay.

Warm regards,

Remco Groenhuijzen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

PROs: We booked a Junior Suite but since we made it known to the reservations agent (Nathalie who was extremely prompt & helpful btw) that we're getting married (not in the hotel but on a boat), they upgraded us to a Prestige Suite, with complimentary Champagne demi-bouteille and a welcome drink. It had a separate living room, which was great to use as a makeup/grooming area and to welcome guests. Junior Suites do not however have a separate living room.
- Staff were welcoming, professional and attentive
- It was a canal view room, great view, nice to wake up to on a lovely sunny day
- Courtyard was very pristine, comfortable and beautifully lush
- Bed was excellent, didn’t want to get up (no wonder they sell them too)
- Room and bath was outstanding, and well-maintained even if it was an old building (built 1578, it was a former City Hall)
Minor CON: our butler didn't show to say goodbye. Not that we needed anything, but a nice friendly adieu (or maybe because we tipped too early?) would be nice

Room Tip: We're on a higher floor - highly recommended The hotel is a bit hard to find by cab or when dri...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CPK8182
Thank you for this amazing review. I am thrilled that you had a wonderful stay at The Grand and that you enjoyed your room & the MyBed, and that you thought the staff was professional and attentive. We do indeed our utmost to make every guest’s stay as special as possible.

I am sorry to read that the butler did not bid you goodbye and I will pass this comment on to our headbutler.

I look forward to your next visit…maybe on your one year anniversary or before ?

Warm regards,

Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a proper world class hotel squeezed into a bustling part of a magical city. The staff were exceptionally helpful and seemed to outnumber the guests. The only hitch to lose a star is that our room wasnt properly cleaned/changed form previous guests which only made sense when we were nearly charged for some of their minibar usage. great decor and very nice bed.

2 Thank Neil P
RemcoGroenhuijzen, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your kind review on Tripadvisor.

Thank you also for pointing out that the room ws not properly cleaned from the previous guests. I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please rest assured that these matters will be addressed with our Housekeeping team to avoid them from happening again.

We hope to soon welcome you back in The Grand.

newton, nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

If you want to be pampered and be treated like royalty this is the place. From the time our car left us a their door to the time we left, the staff treated us as if we were their only customers. The place is beautiful, grand and full of history. As a matter of fact, the hotel is so steeped in history that a free tour is given at 11 AM. daily. Having disembarked from a cruise we arrived at 9 Am at the hotel. Although hours before normal registration, they were kind enough to have a room waiting for us. The hotel is in a perfect location,beautifully furnished and impeccably kept. There is a very nice bar and a Michelin starred restaurant on the premises. I forgot to mention they have a very nice pool . Amsterdam is a beautiful city, pamper yourself with a beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal
1 Thank torres2200
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
I think the sentence “Amsterdam is a beautiful city, pamper yourself with a beautiful hotel” is absolutely fantastic ! We could easily use it as our slogan.

Thank you for this wonderful review and we hope to soon welcome you back in The Grand.

Kusnacht, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I just got back from a Girls' Weekend with my daughter. We had a wonderful time at the Sofitel Legend and I am definitely coming back with the entire family.
The location is perfect - you are right in the middle of all the action, and the hotel itself is historic and lovely. There is a beautiful innenhof style garden area set up for dinner and drinks, and we had breakfast and also an early dinner here. Fabulous.
The rooms are new, modern-style and have every convenience. The bathrooms are great, everything was new, rain-head shower, all the things one needs were there. Beds were comfortable, our view was of the canals, it was pretty (not most spectacular ever but they can't control that), and we were very comfortable.
We didn't go to the spa but I am sure it would be great too.
The only recommendation I can make is that somehow, the photos on the website do not look as nice as the hotel actually is. The photos look very over-modern and impersonal; I saw a room that was very bright with red banquettes that should be the restaurant. Maybe it is. However, the actual atmosphere of the hotel is much, much warmer and cozier and more welcoming than what is shown on the website. I tried to book us into The Dylan based on the photos but they were full - I am glad that this worked out because I found the Sofitel Legend really, really great and I would have missed this experience otherwise.
Everyone who worked here was really kind and welcoming to me and to my daughter. We especially had a fantastic experience at the outdoor part of the restaurant / bar / lounge area, which is just off the main lobby. This area was very beautiful, an outdoor "hofje", a private space with tables and lounge areas that are tastefully separated by potted trees so that guests can enjoy themselves without sitting cheek by jowl. The service here was also amazing, as was the food. We had breakfast here, and also snacks before leaving for the airport. This area was always busy but never hectic, and the ladies and gentlemen who worked here did a great job of making guests feel welcome but never like a burden.
I also liked the neighbourhood in which the hotel is located. I am sure some people may be put off by the coffee houses right next door, but it really didn't disturb me at all. It just added character to the area; also, the buildings are so, so beautiful and historic, and the canal views make lovely photos.
My daughter and I never felt unsafe walking around the area where the hotel is situated, as I had booked reservations at a really great restaurant about ten minutes' walk away. Since Holland is so far north, it doesn't get dark until late, which may also make it feel safer as well.
All in all, we had a great stay at this hotel, and I am looking forward to my next visit. I also found the prices reasonable for the quality of the hotel and services offered.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank heavycat69
I am thrilled to read that you have had such a lovely time at The Grand on your ‘Girl's Weekend’ with your daughter.

By all means, whenever you are planning your next trip to Amsterdam with your family, please do think of us and we will be more than happy to have you !

Lennox Head, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights and were so glad we did. The building in which the hotel is located has a long history from the time the original buildings were erected as two nunneries. If staying, make time to take the 11am tour of the building. The hotel is in the red light district and only a couple of minutes walk to Dam Square
Our suite was large with a separate guest toilet and top of the range furnishing. It overlooked one of the beautiful canals. Great bed, linen and towels plus the usual good toiletries. We even had a TV next to the bath!
Breakfast in Bridges Restaurant, while very pleasant, was to my mind grossly expensive and while I like my bacon crisp, carbon black to me is more than just crisp. There are too many reasonably priced cafés nearby not to repeat that experience. Dinner in the bistro at night was satisfactory but certainly not brilliant.
Staff were uniformly courteous, friendly and polite.
Would I stay there again? Like a shot.

Room Tip: Get one that overlooks the canal
1 Thank Schlepper1939
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent stay in The Grand.

I have well noted your comment about the bacon at breakfast and will definitely pass this on to the restaurant manager.

We do hope you will stay with us again on your next travels to Amsterdam.