“SOFITEL AMSTERDAM”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #14 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This hotel was an oasis in the middle of Amsterdam. Hotel has a real `old world ` feel to it .Right on a canal and 5 minute walk from the Dom We were upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor which was very nice but I must confess I would have preferred a room with a canal view which we had booked with Virtuoso. Also note this suite was on the 4th floor and the lifts only go to the 3rd floor. we had to go up and down some rather tricky stairs to get to our suite(we are in our seventies.)These stairs would be made easier if there were rails on both sides of stairway. Having said this the staff were very pleasant and helpful

Room Tip: Do not take room on 4th floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cindy6543
RemcoGroenhuijzen, Management Assistant at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit of Sofitel Legend The Grand.

Whilst I am happy that you enjoyed the hotel and thought the staff was very helpful, I am sorry to read that you did not like the allocated room because of the stairs leading to your room. Please accept our apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grand and I would request that you contact me prior to your next visit to allow me to make sure that your stay is 100% to your satisfaction.

Kindest regards,

Pauline Kerckhoffs
Management Assistant

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Reviewed 28 August 2014

The Sofitel legend The Grand Amsterdam is centrally located in Amsterdam. It is true that it is near the red-light district but it is outside the area and we found it to be very quiet considering its central location.

The hotel itself is beautiful and we were fortunate to be upgraded to a suite which was huge. I definitely recommend a suite if you want to spoil yourself. There is a lot of history surrounding the hotel and I recommend the free tour they provide.

However, the best thing about this hotel is the excellent customer service. A big thank you to Niels who made us feel very welcome and made our 10 year old daughter feel very special. She looks forward to visiting again as do we.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our aim is to ensure we deliver the best service and facilities to our guests, so I am pleased that we met your expecations. I will definitely pass your kind words on to Niels !

I do hope that you and your family will join us again in the near future.

Excellent location.
Perfect staff, especially the concierge.
Comfy room, excellent bedding.
Enjoying the swimming pool and the sauna & hammam after an exausting day of visit, was delightful.
If it were not that expensive, I would stay there more often...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words following your recent stay with us at Sofitel Legend The Grand. I am so happy that you enjoyed the service and facilities we provided you with.

Please do come back and stay with us on your next visit to Amsterdam.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed here with my partner as Le Club Gold member. Booked a superior room, but didn’t get upgrade (part of the perks) even if there were better rooms available (checked sofitel.com just before checking in).
However, champagne was offered at the cosy lobby bar while waiting for our room to be ready. The room itself was okay. Nothing really special. Fake brick wall gave very cheap image. MyBed was fantastic as always in Sofitel. Bahtroom was big with good amount of Hermes amenities.
Air condition was weak and didn’t cool the room properly. It was shutting of at all time. Room was facing a quiet courtyard so no noisy from streets. Instead, we were waken up by the planes that were landing and flying above the hotel.
Spa was nice with dry sauna, steam room, and pool but it had lack of romantic atmosphere. It was too bright with all the lights and windows. Dimmer lights and candels would had been really nice. Pool was big enough but too shallow which is why the water was wave and swimming sometimes nearly impossible.
Shampoos and shower gels were empty every time we were in spa and guests had to always find staff and asked them to refill. Then they gave one tiny bottle of shampoo and shower gel. They were really stingy with those!
Didn’t try breakfast since price was horribly: 37 euros! I asked in reception what made breakfast so pricy. When they told what did it include, it sounded to my ears like normal buffet breakfast – and that’s 28 euros maximum in other Sofitel. So no thank you.
The hotel is also renting bikes for about 20 euros per day. When one pay around 300 euros per night (at least), bike renting should be included in the room rate already like in Sofitel So Bangkok (that is even way cheaper hotel).
Really didn’t get the point why this hotel is so expensinve. Really didn’t feel we got so good value for our money. Wouldn’t probably stay here again.

1  Thank ohlwb

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you liked our MyBed concept, the bathroom and our lobby bar. However, I am sorry to hear that you felt that the Spa lacked atmosphere. I am also disappointed that you experienced problems with the airconditioning in your room and that the amenities in the Spa were not regularly replenished. Please rest assured that I have discussed your feedback with the responsible managers.

A glass of champagne is always a nice way to start a vacation so it is so good that you managed to relax and enjoy it while we were preparing your room for you. Nonetheless I am sorry you did not get the upgrade you are entitled to get as a Le Club member. Although this is subject to availability I will speak with the Front Office manager about to find out what happened.

I sincerely hope you will consider staying with us again on a future visit to Amsterdam and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night while visitng friends. Was amazing, the staff are very nice and friendly. Breakfast was very nice, wide choice and variety. Enjoyed my stay and would recommend the hotel. Has a nice spa too.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are nice. All rooms have nespresso machines. If you want a bath tub than do check w...
1  Thank Cool18

Thank you for this great review on Tripadvisor and thank you alsof or recommending our hotel to other travellers.

I hope to soon welcome you back in The Grand.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is an excellent hotel, with superb suites and great facilities.
The comfortable living area gave wonderful views across the canals, whilst the bedroom was internal, giving an unbelievably quiet night; the loudest sound I heard in two nights was a watch ticking.
Being able to go for a swim and a sauna breaks up the days, and eases tired muscles, enabling you to fit even more in the time you have.
I could and will confidently recommend the hotel to anyone. The hotel has underpinned my time in Amsterdam, one of the best experiences of my life.
Thank you to everyone for creating such a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The suites are truly wonderful.
1  Thank DarrenArc

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for reviewing the Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam on TripAdvisor.

It is so incredibly important to us to receive feedback from our guests and a pleasure to read one great review after another.

I thank you most sincerely for your compliments and for staying with us. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Granbd on a future visit.