Our second stay at the Grand was scheduled for mid-April: we got a good deal by booking online and paying in full in advance for a no-cancellation stay. But then we had to cancel: the volcano in Iceland closed down all the airports. The reservation manager kindly allowed us to re-book with a very slight penalty. So that was nice, and we traveled in May.
This stay, however, we suffered the traveler's nightmare: one of our wallets was stolen the very first day we were out sightseeing. We returned to the hotel and told the concierge. Soon, the hotel's efficient security manager was in our room, quizzing us on the day's events. He sent one of his staff to accompany us to the nearby police station, where he helped us file a report. This wonderful young man then accompanied us back to the hotel where he and his front-desk colleagues helped us make all the interminable phone calls to cancel all the cards, traveler's checks, etc. The trauma was drained away. We happily accepted the offer of free drinks at the (very comfortable) bar. Our equanimity returned. Our trip was saved!
So here's another reason to stay at a fine hotel: in case of emergency, they will take care of you. Bravo to the Sofitel Grand in Amsterdam!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel