“Could not fault this beautiful Hotel”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #17 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Could not fault this beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

We stayed at the beginning of June and it was a fantastic hotel, the staff could not have been more attentive.

Only minor downside - my room faced one of the canals and was slightly noisy now and again, would suggest If you want a quiet room ask for a room overlooking the courtyard.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

We recently stayed in this hotel and met friends there. On their arrival (after a transatlantic flight) their room was not ready and after waiting for over an hour, were upgraded and taken to their room, which was beautiful.

We arrived the following day at 3pm. Our room was not ready either, but we sat in the fantastic courtyard and had some drinks with our friends. We went back to the reception a couple of times to check on our room, which was still not ready. At 6pm, my patience run out and receptionist agreed to upgrade our room, to one immediately available. The reason given for the room not being available was due to other guests having late check-outs but surely this can only be granted by the hotel when nobody is due into the room later the same day.

The hotel decor is fantastic, both in the public areas and rooms. Toiletries are nice and plentiful and bed is very comfortable.

The location is great and everything is within walking distance. You would not be aware that the red light district is nearby as you access the hotel from the other side.

We had ordered a picnic for midday on one of the days. Even though I checked three times with the receptionist that it would be ready, it was not and we had to wait for 30 minutes.

We have stayed in other Sofitel hotels around the world and have no complaints. The staff at this hotel, although pleasant, really let down the hotel reputation. I have to agree with previous comments that they have no interest in serving customers, but, newsflash, that is their job!

We never ate in the hotel so cannot make any comment. We had breakfast in the cafe over the canal (Bredero's). It looks a bit 'greasy spoon' but is not and serves the best omelettes and pancakes!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 13 September 2010
Dear Guest, Thank you for your constructive feedback. We apologize for not meeting up with your expectations. We appreciate it that you are sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Yours sincerely, The Hotel Management.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

I stayed at Sofitel with my husband Friday the 27:th of August. The room had a very sofisticaded interior architecture and decoration. It had stairs (I think with 5 steps) which you had to take in order to go to the bathroom from the sleeping room. These stairs had banistairs just on one side. On the morning the 28:th I had been to the bathroom and was going to go down to the sleeping room when I first took a step with my right foot and then when I was going to take the next step with my left foot I I found myself too much towards the left side where there were no steps and no banistairs (I was just in the air with my left foot). I fell very badly and hurt myself quite a lot and had difficulty to walk after that and still have. The tisse in my knee is damaged and it hurts on several places on my body. I got really surprised when I spoke with first a receptionist and then the manager and they said that I should pay for the doctor. They didn't seem to feel ashamed at all for what had happened. I am 47 years old but what had happened if I had been older.

2 Thank moffi1
Dear Guest, We would like to thank you for your review and your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. We certainly hope our e-mail has found you well. Yours sincerely, The Hotel Management.
Eastbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband and I stayed for three nights in August and our overall impressions of the hotel were extremely favourable from the excellent location and impressive decor to the cleanliness of the room. Our only gripe was with the service, both in the bar and the restaurant when we had breakfast. It was painfully slow, and the waiting staff suffered from tunnel vision, ignoring our attempts to catch their attention. Someone needs to do a time and motion exercise to improve things - why have waitresses standing around doing nothing because (presumably) it is not in their remit to, for example, take your order but instead just to clear tables? That irritation aside, tho, I would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

So beautiful and modern and perfectly clean. Great place for travelers who like nothing but the best. The location was excellent, so close to everything, but beware, it is also very close to the red light district, so, if you may be offended by it, don't stay there or don't take a right once you leave the hotel. It didn't bother us at all so I didn't see it as a problem.
The room we stayed was pretty small, but the bed was the most comfortable ever! the curtains were heavy and dark so you could relax and nap at any time of the day. The bathroom was large and very modern and the toiletries excellent.
I may be going to other Sofitels around the world!

Manhattan, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

The location of the hotel is just great. It is right in the center of the city. You can walk just about anywhere from the hotel. And the walk from the Central train station is only about 10 minutes.

Front reception was very friendly. A man showed us to our room which was on the fourth floor in the corner. They called it a junior suite with two twin beds. Windows looked out onto the front of the hotel over the canal. Very nice views.

Bathroom was fantastic. Big tub and separate shower with a window. There was a TV in the bathroom and stereo speakers. The only thing I didn't care for was the glass swing open bathroom doors which did not give enough privacy.

Room was very clean. Beds were very comfortable. Some of the best I have experienced. Plenty of room to walk around and separate closets to put clothes.

I did not try the restaurant. It was expensive, but looked very nice. The courtyard in the center of the hotel is very nice for drinks. A little expensive, the the atmosphere is worth it.

There is a coffee shop right outside the hotel. Every morning and afternoon we would walk by and smell the pot that they were smoking there. Didn't bother me (it's Amsterdam after all), but I wasn't expecting something like that so close to the hotel.

Staff at checkout was very friendly. Overall, my stay here was excellent and I would definitely return. The sofitel beds and pillows are so comfortable. This sofitel ranks in the top 3 that I have stayed at. Get a good deal by booking a promotion through their website and you won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

Stayed for 5 days in August. Delighted to get an upgrade to a junior suite and very impressed to be taken their by our "personal butler". The hotel location is fantastic - right next to but not in, the busiest part of town. The room was huge, a wonderful canal view, with every amenity possible .......at first sight. There was a Nespresso machine which we used, the capsules were never replaced so after 6 cups between two of us we had to ask for more. There was some fruit in the room - we ate it and it was not replaced. It was a lottery as to what combination of bath towels, small towels and face cloths would appear. We asked the butler to arrange afternoon tea in the library for us and 3 friends - nothing special, it was an advertised service. 5 minutes later he was up in the room with menus asking us to choose - but the friends were not due until the afternoon so we said we would decide specifics then. (The specifics were which tea, and did we want champagne). Friends arrived, no sign of tea in the library and no one knew of then request. Butler was summoned and appeared to sort it out - 4 teas arrived for 5 people.
The hotel was very expensive - even for a junior suite - you are paying for location and room. Service was pretty second rate. One final thing - we had the room buy the lift and every time it moved we could hear it winding up and down. Did not stop us sleeping but it did disturb our sleep.