“Something I've always wanted to do!”
Review of Anne Frank House

Ranked #1 of 521 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visit the hiding place where Anne Frank wrote her diary during the Second World War. From 9 AM to 3:30 PM the museum is only open to visitors with an online ticket for a particular timeslot. Tickets are made available on the website two months in advance. The Anne Frank House is a small museum with limited capacity. The demand for tickets is far greater than the number available. If you are unable to buy an online ticket, you can always from 3:30 PM until closing time visit the museum and buy a ticket at the museum entrance. Please note: Due to renewal work, from 16 October 2017 admission to the Anne Frank House is temporarily only with an online ticket with a timeslot.
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have read The Diary of Anne Frank several times and read the play in middle school and have always been drawn to Anne's story. Finally getting the opportunity to see the annex was memorable and haunting. Something that always stuck in my mind was how Anne plastered magazine pictures to the walls to make it more like her room and I did this in my own room as 14-15 year old girl. It gave me a connection to her as a young girl and helped me gain an understanding of the horrors of what happened to people no different from myself. Therefore seeing those pictures she hung up really made an imprint on me. The whole experience was what I had hoped for and I will never forget it!

The best advice I can give is to get tickets online ahead of time for the first time available (the day we went was 9:00am). There was nobody there before us and only a tour group that came right after us. When we came out there was a line all the way around the corner and after we went through the house and were in the cafe we saw how crowded it was in the museum room. By getting tickets online at the earliest time we not only surpassed the extremely long line everybody writes about, but we also got to go through the rooms in a less crowded atmosphere!

No pictures allowed inside but they do sell beautiful postcards. The diary pieces shown are replicas if you look at the small print on the signs, but it is understandable that they want to preserve the artifacts.

There are newer reviews for Anne Frank House

Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

I am not a museum lover but having read the book years ago I chose to go to Anne Franks house. It was a strange experience but I am pleased that I went. I spent hours there and could have stayed a lot longer. It is certainly somewhere that makes you think about what she and her family went through years ago. I would certainly recommend anyone to add this to their travel itinerary if visiting Amsterdam.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Make sure you order your tickets online and skip the (many hours long) lines. It's a place you definitely want to see, but waiting 4+ hours to be in a museum for half an hour is no fun.

2  Thank VF79Ams
Reviewed 3 May 2012

No visit to Amsterdam is complete without having spent some time at the Anne Frank House. Admission is not included with your I AMSTERDAM card, the line to get in is long and a bit of a wait, and it gets quite crowded once you're inside. But afterwards, you'll realize none of this matters and you'll be glad you came. Heartfelt. Emotional. Profound. Relevant. And I agree with another TA Member, the difficult subject matter is presented objectively and in a highly accessible way. I left thankful for having the opportunity to experience this. I hope you do too.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

During my first visit to Amsterdam, I visited the Anne Frank House. This is a very interesting experience, thought provoking & educational. There was alot of information provided and you could spend a long time at the museum, but the actual building is not very big and the tour can be completed quite quickly. My tip would be to buy 'your ticket online & save time', this is an option for many of the museums around Amsterdam, but it made a big difference at the Anne Frank House, you skip the entire queue & go in a separate exit at the front, saving at least 20/30 minutes, precious time when you are trying to see lots of different places over a few days.