“Must visit”

Ranked #1 of 526 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Due to renewal work, from 16 October 2017, for a number of months all visitors must purchase an online ticket with a time slot in advance. Tickets are made available on the website www.annefrank.org two months in advance. The Anne Frank House is a small museum with limited capacity. The demand for tickets is far greater than the number available, so there may be no tickets available for certain dates. We hope you can find a suitable date and welcome you in the Anne Frank House.
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Bought tickets online, so no need to queue.
However is the house empty, it give a very clear impression about how 2 families could live there. Very informative and very touching.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Having read Ann Frank's diary, acted as a tour guide at a local Ann Frank exhibit and being a history buff, seeing Ann Frank's hiding place was a priority on my Amsterdam trip.
Armed with the online hints, the group I was with lined up mid evening to enter the museum. We were not disappointed as we got in very quickly.
It was awesome to see the actual area where Ann's family and acquaintances lived in hiding. You can only imagine how hard it must have been to live there with all those people under such hard, nerve racking and hungry times.
The new museum area is stunning and informative.
This museum a tribute to Ann's father's determination to show the world what people were forced to do to try and survive ethnic discrimination.
Definitely a must see attraction!!

1  Thank RETIREDTRAVELLER06
Reviewed 18 February 2014

You can't go to Amsterdam and not see the Anne Frank House. Even if you know a lot about her life before going like I did, you still get a much fuller perspective of what she must have gone through by being there.

The museum is very well laid out - you go in one direction through the house and then see her diary on display towards the end. The rooms do not have any furniture so seem larger than they must have when Anne hid there; however, the windows are still covered so you get a sense of how claustrophobic it must have felt day after day. There still are remnants on the wall from the family, such as Anne's clippings and markings where they measured the height of Anne and her sister as they grew. I was especially struck by how neatly Anne wrote in her diary. It's remarkable how well she was able to write at such a young age and with so few corrections.

Two tips: First, make sure that you book tickets in advance. The museum is very small so they limit the number of people who can go in at once. When I was there, the wait to get in without a ticket was over an hour! Second, the staircase is very narrow and steep. So if you have mobility issues, it will be difficult/impossible to get through. Leave about one hour to ninety minutes for the exhibits (plus extra time if you want to go to the cafe or the book shop).

2  Thank Worldtraveler2882
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have always wanted to visit Anne Frank's house, since I first read her diary. I would recommend buying tickets ahead of time however we went during February and waited in line for about 30 minutes for tickets. I think during peek season it would take longer. The only thing that I wish is I was able to take pictures inside, but I understand the reasoning. This was my faveorite thing on my whole trip.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Such a sad piece of history brought to life in a sensitive way. It was extremely sad to see how the families lived to keep safe. Lots if I formation and artefacts which all add to the detailed picture, along with the videos that play on TVs across the house. Very interesting to walk through the bookcase and into the actual parts if the house were the family lived.
I would definitely recommend booking online. Last time we came, we didn't go because of the huge queue. Today, queue was very similar....long and would have taken ages to get in. We booked online and rang a bell to gain access. Arriving and entering took no longer than 2 minutes.

1  Thank Paulos_C_23