“Stylish hotel in a good location... And a huge bed!”
Review of Canal House

Canal House
Ranked #21 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 June 2012

If you want to treat yourself to a romantic break, you won't be disappointed here. This hotel is really cosy, an old building which is beautifully renovated. The rooms are dark, modern and so comfortable. A great shower, a huge bed, and a great breakfast the next morning. The location is good too.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Canal House

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Hotel is set on beautiful kaisergracht canal, in a quieter but convenient location. The decor was stylish, yet modern. We were in the "good" level rooms overlooking the garden. The garden is lovely, with comfortable outdoor furniture and lots of flowers. These rooms were small, but well appointed and newly redecorated. The bed was extremely comfortable! We could concur with a previous reviewer about the lighting in the bathroom, as well as the breakfast having no range of cooked eggs. Such an expensive hotel should have a fuller breakfast. They did however have boiled eggs if you asked for them. Also, the cheese platter was very sparse and in a city known for its cheese, we found this a little disturbing. We let the hotel know and would be interested to learn from future reviewers if this changes. The only other problem we had was with the temperature controls in the room - it was very warm our first night, but the hotel quickly addressed the issue and our second night was more comfortable.

the hotel know of our feelings and they were very happy to take the feedback. It will be interesting to know if it is changed back for future reviewers.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jill S
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have stayed here for three nights while on a business trip. The location of the hotel is directly on a canal (as the name suggests) and very central. My room was facing the garden which I didn't have a chance to visit but it looked beautiful from the room. The room was quiet, bed most comfortable, loved the rain shower in the bathroom. The design of the rooms and the entire hotel was lovely and worked out to the slightest detail. The only two objections from me would be the photos/paintings - I didn't like to fall asleep under the stare of that strange queen and it was difficult to shave legs under the dim light in the bathroom. Otherwise the bathroom was really beautiful. DVD player in the room and Bose system was a very nice touch. Loved the wooden floors in the room too! The room was spotless. Ladies at the reception and the staff serving the breakfast were all most pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was very good and fresh but there could be a bigger selection. What me and my colleagues really enjoyed was the organic cosmetics in the bathroom. Tip: The reception arranged cheaper tickets for a boat trip for us - I know very touristy but we had very little time to explore the city (too much work) so we thought the boat was a good way to see as much as possible.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PragueMarti
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My wife and I recently returned from an annual business trip to Amsterdam. We usually try different hotels and restaurants on each trip. This time we stayed at the Canal House hotel, located in the Jordaan district, east of the DAM Square area, on a quiet, picturesque street facing a canal. We had stayed at an adjacent hotel, The Toren, on a previous trip, and like area where the Canal House is located.

The oustanding features of Canal House are its location and its service. The hotel is located within easy walking distance of DAM Square and surrounding shops and restaurants. The level of service provided by the staff is excellent. The rooms tend to be on the smallish side, but are well appointed with modern fixtures. The hotel is very clean and management clearly takes pride in a well run property. The only reason I do not rate this hotel "Excellent" is because of the cost - at 400 Euros for our room, it is expensive.

Would I stay at the Canal House again ? Yes, I would.

A couple of other items to mention to anyone planning a trip to Amsterdam:

Down the street and around the corner from the Canal House is a restaurant called Restaurant Christophe'. Having dined at many restaurants througout the city, it is, in our opinion, the finest dining experience in Amsterdam. I highly recommend it.

If you are interested in a canal tour by boat of Amsterdam (a great way to see the city), I highly recommend a service called I(appropriately enough) Private Boat Tours (www.privateboattours.nl). They have three early 1900's saloon boats, refurbished and maintained in perfect condition, that almost anywhere ytou want in Amsterdam via canal. Its expensive - but well worth it, and much better than the large tour type boats that you see plying the canals.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's webiste carefully to get an impression of what the various rooms look like.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank jcleve
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband and I spent one night here last week. It's a beautiful street and the hotel itself is lovely. The bar and dining room are lovely although the bar suffers from a lack of users. This is a shame as it is a really great spot and the prices are excellent.

We had Room 20 which is the second to top category (Best). Our room looked over the canal side and had a lovely aspect. The garden is pretty but you definitely want a canal view if you ar paying lots of money for a room.

The staff at the hotel were all lovely and I couldn't fault them.

So, to the tweaking.... My husband and I travel A LOT. €525 is a lot of money for one night. I do not hesitate to pay this money, however one does expect a hotel to be at the top of its game for this money.

1) When we arrived at the hotel, we were asked by the staff if we wanted to "upgrade" our room to the EXCEPTIONAL room (there is only one) as it was available. They wanted another €100! on top of the €525 we had already paid. Now I know that this is normally €725 but what a guest such as myself hears is "we have a better room available but you are going to have to pay for the upgrade". Most other hotels would have given a valued guest the upgrade to that room for free at those rates! Very off putting...

2) Artwork in our room wasn't great, but that was the only complaint about the room. They need to get rid of the artwork that looks like a cheap restaurant showing you what is on offer.

3) Several times we were served drinks, food or tea in cracked or chipped glasses!!!!!! Surely the staff need to pay attention to this and only use ones in perfect condition. It happened on 3 occasions in one night!

4) There is no cooked breakfast available. Again, at those rates, there should be some small hot offering available to guests. The buffet was good but would be disappointing if you wanted cooked eggs etc.

SO, my final thoughts are that it is lovely but at the moment the hotel needs to refine it's guest services. I'd look around before I spent such a lot without a few changes especially the "upgrade" situation at the front desk

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank luxuriousliving
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We have spent a lovely long weekend in Amsterdam staying at the Canal House. Our room number 5 overlooks the canal and was excellent. On arrival we thought that it was quite small and not dissimilar to central New York Hotels (we are British) However it was beautifully designed and furnished and an excellent bathroom. Black is the dominant "colour" scheme but the room has three lovely big windows to give a lot of light and lovely view of the canal. There is a bit of traffic movement during "rush hour" but generslly very quiet especislly at night. The bid double bed was soooooo comfortable! Staff were very friendly and efficient and recommended a couple of very good restaurants. The only loss was a coffee maker in the room but room service was very quick. Breakfast in the dining room was excellent and set us up for the day. The bar was great and the Dry Martini's were amongst the best I've had! The location is excellent in the very chic Jordaans area and within a few minutes walk of trams and city centre. A great place to spend your time in Amsterdam.
The only real downside? It's very expensive but then all of Amsterdam hotels are at the top end of the range.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hookyBucks_UK
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I was rebooked to this establishment for one night by a hotel who overbooked themselves. I liked this place so much that even considered to stay here for the rest of my business trip on my own personal expense! A lot of style in this place - the reception/bar, the funny thing about walking through the kitchen to the rooms and the rooms itself.. I'd say this hotel would be a really nice choice for a couple in a honeymoon trip/weekend city trip!

The room I stayed in ("a better room") had a bathroom area combined with the room itself with wall. The only detail I would like to change on the bathroom side is the semi-open glass covering only the half of the bath. Water spillage imminent. All the toletries and minor details were well thought out. The colour scheme in the room was nice. WLAN worked very well without any issues.

I would consider leaving the muzak out of all public areas - or at least the breakfast room - this house does not need it. And one detail of the breakfast room: the huge lamp structure over the buffet table is impressive, but consider changing the traditional bulbs to LED lighting. You are melting the cheese :)

For couples - YES, for business - suitable!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business