“Characterful luxury within walking distance of most sights!”
Review of Canal House

Canal House
Ranked #23 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Characterful luxury within walking distance of most sights!”
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated on Keizersgracht and offers beautiful views of boats and birds on the canal, as well as beautiful architecture. A photographers dream - and that's just from the room. We stayed in the "Best room" - read most expensive. While pricey, it was certainly a most delightful stay! It snowed a lot during our stay and we didn't mind staying in the room to watch the changing colours on the water. When we did go sightseeing, most everything was within easy walking distance (we enjoy walking!). Canal House definitely is a great place to stay when in Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Leon V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two night. We were on the first floor with a big windows facing the canal.
Room was very small but beautifully decorated. Unfortunately you could hear all noise from the street so every car, bile or just people talking while walking by were interrupting your sleep. Make sure to ask fir a upper floor or just more quiter room.
Otherwise breakfast buffet's selection was limited but still fresh and good.
Service here is good. Also the very small bar in the lobby is nice.
For me the last stay here, The Dylan close by is just much better in every way.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LittleFox77
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I LOVED our stay at the Canal House and here is why:

- the impossible-to-improve-upon location: on the Keizersgracht, minutes away from the Negen Straatjes shopping area. There is no doubt that you are IN Amsterdam.
- the wonderfully enthusiastic welcome: I don’t know if this is always the case, but on our arrival a staff member leapt into the corridor (ala Ginger Rogers) with a big hello and welcoming smile. Often ‘boutique hotels’ feel a bit stiff and snooty and take themselves very seriously, but here it was not the case. It was very refreshing.
- the dramatic and very beautifully decorated room. We had booked a Great Room and were upgraded - yay! - to an Exceptional Room. It was super-stylish and very comfortable with a great view over the canal and BY FAR the best choice of in-room reading material I have ever found in a hotel (current issues of Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Vanity Fair etc. and one or two other more alternative publications, as well as a stack of books probably left by previous guests). Another best ever was the hairdryer: I never thought I would feel fondness towards a hairdryer in a hotel, but it really was a fine piece of machinery.
- the service: for example, we ordered a bottle of sparkling water and I had hardly put the phone down when it arrived at our door. Where was he hiding with the water to be able to get to us so quickly? It will remain a mystery. The staff overall were eager to help and full of advice and good suggestions.
- a breakfast room which is a Dutch design treat. With good coffee and excellent croissants. They could, however, improve on the selection for breakfast and more fruit would be welcome.
Two aspects of the hotel may or may not be problematic for you (neither one bothered us):
- you must be willing to bath in public. The bath in our room, is, well, in the room and affords no privacy. Unless you are on a trip with your partner, this might be tricky.
The very steep and very narrow stairs leading up to the room (and no elevator). Not easy to negotiate if you are perhaps a bit less agile or more rickety.

Room Tip: The stairs leading up to the rooms are very steep and very narrow (and no elevator). Not easy to neg...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JezebelleH
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 February 2013

It is on the Keizergracht, within 10 minutes,
you can walk To Dam Square, or the Central Station etc.

Service was very tentative,
and nobody could ask for more.

There is No restaurant in the hotel,
but within 5 minutes, more than 50 restaurants are available.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Canal has a good view, but noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I chose Canal House Hotel for my last business trip
I was very happy with the choice
The Hotel is conveniently located, and offers a charming Amsterdam experience
The entrance with the many paintings as well as the marble floor and the dark walls is for me the prettiest part of the hotel
The breakfast room is very pleasant, with a good offer of international magazines and newspapers, and a pleasant soundtrack to smoothly welcome the new day while you sip your morning coffee
The rooms are very nice also, though I don't like open bathrooms
I had number 9, overlooking the garden, perfect for one person
I was mostly pleased by the staff, very helpful and professionnal and I can warmly recommend you rely on Lisa's advices on the front desk to advise and book you dinner and lunches in places
If the place had a gym, it would have been perfect

Room Tip: Room number 9 view on the garden was calm and perfect for one person
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I knew the old Canal House hotel so I had to realize it is really a long time ago I have been in Amsterdam. The Canal House hotel is now fully renovated and all is very tasteful and well designed. It was always between the more expensive hotels when I am was searching online for a room for my last 2 nights of my Belgium Holland trip. So I have chosen the smallest room and asked for a garden view which I also got. Let's start with all postive:

+ the small room is small but very cosy, the big window with the view to the garden and the wonderful tree remembered will stay in my memories for long. Just to see the bird on the tree from the bed would make me turn back to this room
+ The room was very clean, well equipped. The turn down service was done, the towels changed but no good night wish only the weather forecast on the night table (a nice attention nevertheless)
+ The bed was very very comfortable
+ A nice selection of magazines in the room
+ The products (Green & Spring) they distribute as well are very well designed of a very good quality. They are at your disposal in the original size bottles during your stay (some remarks on that on the - side..)
+ The reception is very charming and helpful. It is unformal but very professioinal.
+ I got some mails before to ask if I need assistance, which I appreciated

- the breakfast included in the rate is missing a bit of quality. The juices are very nice, but I missed some salmon, no omlettes or pancakes avaiable, only boiled eggs...The service was just correct but no smile, no warm welcome...they do their job that's it.
- I felt a bit like a thief when I read the notice that the products Green & Spring are at my disposal during my stay but if I take them with me they will be charged to my credit card. Products can be bought at reception...Honestley then please put small product bottles instead of the original bottles like in all 4-5 star hotels. I fear that you just fullfill the bottles after each guest and sorry it is not hygienicly ... maybe a tricky guest is putting something in the bottle (do not worry I didn't.... And comon it is just a good advertising if somebody takes this products with him. Include it in your markeing budget and room price.
- My ordered tea at the bar never arrived... Service there was during my whole stay either slow or seldom present and again no smile ...
- The hotel attracts some kind of new rich guests which is not really my kind of people I like to have around me. But okay...i was there only 2 day..so..

I will give this hotel a second chance as it has some potential to improve - it is small things

Room Tip: Good room is small but charming. For 2 people maybe too small but you are not in Amsterdam just for...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Reminisence
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2013

This hotel was gorgeous. The room we had was stunning (we were upgraded) and the breakfast room was really grand and impressive. The gardens were so pretty too, although it was a bit cold to go and sit out but it would be good in summer. The staff were really helpful and the location was good. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will hopefully go back again soon.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple