“Best of the Best”

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
Ranked #12 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We have stayed in various InterContinental hotels over the years, but the Amstel in Amsterdam is by far superior to all.
Even with ongoing area construction along the river, the view was spectacular.
The amenities and service by the staff of the hotel were first rate,
And we were upgraded to a suite due to an oversight by the hotel regarding our Ambassador Club status; needless to say, we were the beneficiaries of that disconnect.
It was a most enjoyable stay in the most elegant of hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2011

The Amstel may be a very grand and historic hotel. With its stucco exteriors and gilded interiors, one may assume its service to be exemplary. But it was not to be. I was booked at the Penthouse Suite, which promised a 24 hour room service, which is a fairy tale. Although the room was ornate and luxurious as promised, it was the service, I had problem with. And as a discerning traveler, I consider, the service to be the soul of a Hotel.

Room Tip: Room 325, River View. Beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Mukut
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I like the InterContinental chain, but the properties, especially in Europe, are inconsistent. A problem to be aware of if you have not visited Amsterdam is that there is very little middle ground for hotels. The hotels tend to be either nice but extremely expensive or affordable and not so nice. I thought the Amstel was very nice, but would not recommend it unless you have some kind of promotion or points redemption. I do tend to splurge on nice hotels, but for what this hotel offers, the price per night just seems like a silly waste of money. I stayed because I had an Ambassador certificate for a free night, which made it seem reasonable.
Staff at check-in were extremely efficient, friendly, and polite. I was upgraded to a canal view room, which was lovely. The room was comfortable and the bathroom unusually large by European standards. It is true that the location is a bit off the beaten path, and I did have to spend a lot on cabs. But on other days, it was a pleasant walk (20-30 minutes) to get to the shopping/dining areas. That said, the bell service was almost non-existant. Entrance to the hotel is up steps and the bellmen tend to stay inside the lobby and watch guests lug their own bags up the stairs. This is because the bellmen are also serving as assistants to the concierge. The bellmen are actually very friendly in this role, the senior concierge was a bit snobby. The real reason that I wouldn't pay upwards of $500 a night is that the rooms simply aren't that great. The furniture is dated and grandmotherly and the hotel doesn't really offer anything more -- anything else that you need or want is an additional (and high) charge. Based on my experience, this would be a great place to stay for $300/night, but I think they are just riding on their historical reputation and over-charging a lot. That said, if money really isn't a concern, there are no real problems with this place and it is a quiet and comfortable place to stay among the well-heeled crowd.

2  Thank SDP_MSN
Reviewed 5 June 2011

excellent 10+
doorman gave great advise and when we returned he asked abt the event , very
thoughtful and the check-in lady advised , because platinum priority club, she made
me for very small amount also for 1 year platinum ambasador and upgrades us to a fantastic suite
the high thea is worthwile and the restaurant is excellent

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Stayed in this hotel with my wife for a day. We wanted to spend a day in Amsterdam for shopping, dinner and theater as we had an early morning flight out of Schiphol airport. As a platinum member we got upgraded to a room with a canal view. The hotel is beautiful, staff impeccable and the room superb. Beautifully decorated and the best bed we had in any hotel. We didn't dine in the hotel but they have Michelin star restaurant, maybe next time. 5 minutes walk to the theater and the tram stop. Only downside is Eur 65 per night for valet parking, felt like a rip off. We will certainly come back but come by public transportation next time.

1  Thank Traveler190511
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I have stayed several times on business at the Amstel Hotel as I go to Amsterdam 2-4 times per month. The hotel is a nice old hotel, somewhat faded but I was willing to overlook that as the rooms were quite spacious by Amsterdam standards and I like to get the Intercontinental points.

However, my last stay here was a complete disaster - so bad that I actually wrote a letter to the management (which they never responded to). No bellboy on arrival and the hotel has a set of stairs that you have to walk up, with a revolving door which is not easy to get through with a suitcase. Not a huge deal, but at these prices, I expect some assistance with dragging my suitcase up some stairs. When I finally got through the door (bellboy inside, watching me still did not offer to help. I checked in and proceeded to roll my suitcase to the elevator and only then did he offer to help (no need for help at that point). The internet service in my room did not work and it took forever to get that sorted out. They have a system where you have to get a password from your television, and my television didn't work. After much deliberation, they finally agreed to give me the password (why this couldn't be done right away, I do not know). The concierge made a booking for me at a local restaurant, and provided me with a card with the time of the booking and the restuarant address. I arrived at the restaurant only to be told my table had been given away as my reservation was for an hour earlier.

Have just given up on the Amstel altogether and will try the Hilton's newly renovated executive floors or the Hotel de L'Europe which is completing a renovation this spring as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
11  Thank poogleypie
LScholten, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Dear valued guest,

We completely agree that the service standard during your stay was not up the level the Amstel Hotel is renowned for. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and feeling of discontent this has caused you. Complaint letters are handled by our General Manager and unfortunately we have not been able to track your letter. We would therefore like to ask you to contact our Executive Office via +31 (0)20 520 3238 or via Suzanne.vantiel@ihg.com in order to be able to respond to your issues appropriately.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2011

This smaller hotel was perfect for our time in Amsterdam. We had every bit of service we could want but without the snootiness of staff I've sometimes found in high-end hotels. Lovely large room on the second floor and although it overlooked a small street and had major arteries (and construction) on the intersecting streets, we never heard any noise. They've added a pressurized water system that fills the bathtub in 2 minutes or gives you the shower of a lifetime from your choice of a rain-shower or a handheld. Comfortable beds. Fresh flowers. adequate storage & luggage racks on request. Giant bathroom with toilet in its own enclosure. lovely public rooms including a nice sitting area overlooking the Amstel River that flows along the south side of the hotel. Good food service.

A couple of cautions: Sometimes we had to wait a bit for the hot water to reach our room - we learned to turn it on a couple of minutes before we needed to sluice off. First floor rooms can be accessed by an elegant staircase but elevators at both ends of the hotel were seldom busy so we didn't waited long.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Amstel.