High Tea in the lounge of The Amstel Hotel; quality versus quantity, versus price.
The hotel is famous for accommodating the rich and famous, from Robbie Williams to Prince Charles and The Duchess Camilla. High tea was served in the most beautiful ambience with outlook onto the busy River Amstel, the main river of the Dutch capitol city of Amsterdam.
We were welcomed by very pleasant members of staff, however it had been quite a time since the uniform of our personal waiter had been to the dry cleaners!
The high tea comprised of the tiniest of tasty morsels all very,very good......however the "scones" served were not scones...more of a cross between brioche and cake, also we were not served any butter and the lemon curd was described as a sweet mayonnaise with piccalilli !!
We each were then given a tiny roll with mackerel & cucumber.....the roll was quite sweet but on the whole very moreish. We then received very tiny cakes and sweetmeats, delicious crustless sandwiches followed by 2 warm mouthfuls, the shrimp croquette was to die for. Four different types of tea was served throughout.........unfortunately we were only offered 1 cup of each......this was unfortunate as it was a hot day and a few extra cuppa's would have gone down well. The last tiny bites were rose water flavoured pink chocolate pops.......Soooooooo good.
All in all, the quality of the eats offered was excellent, the quantity was laughable, it was not sufficient even for a small child and we were not offered any extras. The whole event was disappointing considering we paid 60 euros per person . The experience of being served in The Amstel Hotel was great but not at this price. Be sure to have a substantial lunch or a good supper planned should you decide to opt for this high tea. We will not be recommending this experience to friends nor family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal Carré Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam