We stayed for three nights at the Intercontinental. I like the old world aesthetic and charm of the hotel. Check in was obviously done by a trainee. They need more seasoning at their position but that will hopefully come with time. Our Virtuosity Travel Agent had requested an upgrade for us from a Junior suite but he didn't seem to know what to do about that. I let it go as Room 301 was lovely. Very large with a view of the canal.
The bathroom was large as well with a separate tub, shower and toilet area. The overhead rain shower fixture was a dribble in what should have been a torrent. And only one sink in the bathroom. A bathmat didn't always appear when the maids did the room. Also, the newspaper was a no show one morning. The message light on the bedside phone in the room continually blinked red. We called the desk; they said it was a glitch in the system but would come up and check. A young woman fooled around with it, pressing buttons and seemed befuddled. My spouse finally said; look the other phone isn't blinking, it is a fault with this one, so just exchange it out with a new one. Training personnel to think for themselves is important as is their attention to detail. The area rug around the bed had stains and dirt embedded in it which housekeeping should notice. Also turn down service did not appear until 10 PM one night, much too late of course. All reasons why the hotel did not get an excellent from this reviewer.
At breakfast which is served on the canal level with waterside views which I love, the young woman who took us to our table never bothered to hand us the menu card or say that things could be cooked to order, in addition to the continental offerings on the buffet. A hot pot of boiling water was brought to the table without any cover on the handle which was too hot to touch. Again, another example of semi trained personnel.
When we checked in we were given a voucher for either a three course dinner in the Brasserie, two courses in the upstairs dining room or a wine sampling. We chose the Brasserie. On arrival we told the host that we had a voucher. He said we could have the three course fixe price or we could exchange anything on it for the a al carte side of the menu. No mention was made of any price limit of the voucher, nor was there any monetary limits written on the voucher. When the bill arrived, it had a 69 euro charge. It turns out that the voucher is good only for 36 euros per person. Anything over that was to be paid by the customer. The next morning I talked to the manager about his and he agreed that either they had to rewrite the voucher to express a monetary amount or have the host explain the monetary value of the voucher when seating the guests. The manager graciously deleted the charges from our bill.
As for Duncan, the concierge, he was wonderful. One of our airline tickets had been deleted from the KLM system for some unknown reason and after much effort, he got the ticket reinstated. Bravo Duncan!
I would definitely stay here on future trips to Amsterdam regardless of all the small things that had to be addressed. The staff is friendly and I love the location and ambiance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal Carré Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), IHG, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam