“A proper Grand Dame of a hotel”

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
Ranked #11 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Trapped in Amsterdam by volcanos, American Express insurance stumped up for the only family room they could find- an executive suite at the The Amstel- arrggh, the pain and suffering, but we struggled through, bouyed on by gin and tonics and long baths.

The is a lovely old hotel, in the real grand tour of Europe tradition. The swags of drapery, the marble foyer, the polished brass trim are "hotel-y" things that thousands of hotels around the world ape, but never really get.

The bistro a la carte was fantastic, and reasonably priced considering its context. The concierge was efficient and knowledgable, check in accurate and personable, the suite gorgeous, plush and spacious, all in all a restful stay.

So why not give it a full excellent rating? I started to get the feeling that they had given the "A" team a weeks rest, and let the subs step in.

Housekeeping left stuff behind in the room- cleaning fluid and a few rags, breakfast staff needed constant prompting to bring eggs, coffee etc, a 6 inch brass curtain hook fell out of the wall when I brushed passed it, afternoon cafe staff were particularly brusque, multiple functions happening in the hotel at the same time seemed to take precedence over individual guests needs, lots of little irky things, that would have had me hit the roof if I was actually paying.

It is a beautiful, comfortable space in a beautiful city, but maybe I got them on a bad few days.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank orange66
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Reviewed 21 March 2010

We stayed in a junior suite for four nights towards the end of March. The room was excellent, with a real coffee machine, state of the art Philips TV and genuine soak bath. The bed was very comfortable and easily accommodated a roll a way bed. The room was serviced every morning during breakfast.

However the service has deteriorated (we stayed here four years ago). Breakfast was very poor because the staff lacked experienced. On two of the four morning they did not manage to serve the eggs we had ordered, we were not offered toast, and getting coffee, milk and butter was a bit of a battle every day. There were very few guests, but we still had to wait because tables had not been re-set. The buffet was good, and of course the setting is excellent. We saw most of the breakfast staff under taking other roles in the hotel during the day (i.e. bell boy) and so it is reasonable to assume that the use of untrained staff was the cause of the problem. It is also fair to point out that the staff tried very hard to please, they just gave us the impression that they had not served in a restaurant before.

The minibar was not re-stocked during our stay, and room service could not provide a price list for the mini bar. For much of the day the concierge desk was staffed by a bell boy, who could do little more than give out leaflets.

The hotel was very quiet, as is Amsterdam at the moment, and the service may be better when demand picks up in the summer. This may be a temporary problem before summer staff are hired. On the other hand the rooms were not offered at a discount rate so we should not expect the hotel to be run on a skeleton staff.

On the whole I would therefore give this hotel a miss until the there are some reports that the service problems have been solved. I would be reluctant to pay the price to stay here out of the main tourist season. Pity really because the rooms have been equipped to a very high standard, and the hotel exudes calls.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank RallyMonkey
Reviewed 20 February 2010

As soon as you enter this lovely Grande Dame of a hotel, you feel relaxed. Very attentive and kind staff...lovely rooms, quiet and clean and comfortable. Huge bathrooms, excellent amenities....and the restaurant! Absolutely perfect! And a very knowledgeable wait staff. I loved the intimacy of the Brasserie and the grandness of La Rive....I swam every morning and loved the canal view! Just a total delight!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank cathysterling
Reviewed 27 January 2010

All started well, checked in for 1 night, rooms are quiet nice and big enough with a lot of old carpets and furniture, feels very classical, definitely not trendy or young but all you expect from a european 5 star property. Gym and pool are nice but very small, you can't really swim. Now to the bad, at 10 in the morning the fire alarm went on, after some hesitation I packed my bag took my open laptop ( witch I smashed in a day while running...) and run out , alarm didn't stop and as I am asthmatic I got quiet scared as if there would be smoke I could not breath ... when I arrived outside the building there was only staff and they told me it was an exercise .... I understand they have to do that but there was no information given at check in, no letter in my room and nothing mentioned in the elevator or common rooms . I just cannot understand that they take that so lightly, when you have Asthma, fire is one of the worse think that can happen and I was really scared. The duty manager offered some chocolate to apologized. I immediately check out and later sent an email to the Hotel Manager, he basically answered he cannot believe there was no letter in my room ! ( What about info by check in or in elevator ?) This hotel has a very high image of itself and looks down at guests not something you want when you pay 600 Euro a night. Avoid.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
10  Thank SvenZH
Reviewed 26 January 2010

A beautiful hotel with exceptional service! From the minute we walked in we felt a higher level of class in this grand hotel. Check in was extremely pleasant and the woman who checked us in even walked us up to our room and pointed out the little extras and features of the room (including the bath tub that fills up in 2 minutes!)

The staff were extremely polite and helpful and nothing was a problem. Because we were on a different time clock we found ourselves hungry at 3:30am - which is usually a problem in Amsterdam (since things close early). We called down to room service looking for some kind of sweet snack...and within 10 minutes they delivered us a beautiful hot chocolate, biscuits, cakes and chocolate truffles. All was delicious and served promptly and politely with a smile. Not to mention they gave it to us complimentary because what we asked for was not on the menu.

Our room was beautiful and had a lovely view of the river. It was spacious and very nicely decorated. The TV/speaker system is extremely high quality, but might be a little complicated to use for some people (lucky for me, my husband is an IT wizard), but even he found it a little complicated initially. He realized that it was not wired in the best, most efficient way and spoke to the manager about offering to help them make it easier for their guests. We gave them our contact information, so we'll see if they call!

In winter this hotel is a little out of the way and is a bit of a walk or taxi ride to most things, but overall the service and staff outweigh it's slightly inconvenient location.

I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone with a budget! I should mention that we booked on points and it worked out to be a great value for us! They did not "Points Discriminate" like some other Intercontinental properties.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loves_good_things
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Had pleasure of staying here in one of the suites for 3 nights, and must say probably one of the best Intercontis I have had the pleasure to stay at, service allround was impeccable, everything about the hotel was 1st Class from check in to check out was excellent.
Worth a visit for any occassion, either business or something special hard to be dispointed here.
Only fault encountered in my 3 night stay was concierge recommended a local Italian restaurant, which was very very poor, surprised such a 1st class hotel sends its clients there! but other then that hard to find fault.

Give it a go. but not the Italian!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2009

This hotel is amazing! Great service and location.
The food is great. The bar on the lower level is very friendly with great service.

Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo