Trapped in Amsterdam by volcanos, American Express insurance stumped up for the only family room they could find- an executive suite at the The Amstel- arrggh, the pain and suffering, but we struggled through, bouyed on by gin and tonics and long baths.
The is a lovely old hotel, in the real grand tour of Europe tradition. The swags of drapery, the marble foyer, the polished brass trim are "hotel-y" things that thousands of hotels around the world ape, but never really get.
The bistro a la carte was fantastic, and reasonably priced considering its context. The concierge was efficient and knowledgable, check in accurate and personable, the suite gorgeous, plush and spacious, all in all a restful stay.
So why not give it a full excellent rating? I started to get the feeling that they had given the "A" team a weeks rest, and let the subs step in.
Housekeeping left stuff behind in the room- cleaning fluid and a few rags, breakfast staff needed constant prompting to bring eggs, coffee etc, a 6 inch brass curtain hook fell out of the wall when I brushed passed it, afternoon cafe staff were particularly brusque, multiple functions happening in the hotel at the same time seemed to take precedence over individual guests needs, lots of little irky things, that would have had me hit the roof if I was actually paying.
It is a beautiful, comfortable space in a beautiful city, but maybe I got them on a bad few days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal Carré Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, IHG, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam