We stayed at the Amstel for three days in June 2010 and booked the Junior Suite. This comes at the quite amazing price of EUR 650 per night (no breakfast included!) so you would expect only the best. Unfortunately the hotel did not live up to the expectations at all. Here are some of the points which are simply not acceptable for a hotel of this category:
- we went to the bar and waited for 15 min. After that time we didn't even have a menu yet. The staff didn't seem to care that someone was sitting there waiting, so we left without having had a drink.
- at three o'clock in the afternoon the rooms were not made yet (every day the same).
- in the evening the rooms were not prepared for the night, which would actually be normal for a room of this price. Upon asking we were told that this is normal. The staff only comes to the rooms once a day. Ridiculous at this level.
- furniture and interior was worn off. Refurnishing should have been done years ago.
- in the bath room there was not enough pressure on the water tap which let out hardly enough water to clean your hands. And the hose of the shower leaked and splashed water in every direction - even in my face...
- I booked a massage in advance. I never received an answer and so in the end I didn't go to the massage.
All in all they charged the price of a five star suite but the service and the standard of the hotel was mid-range at the best. A really unpleasant experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal Carré Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, IHG, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam