“You don't get what you pay for”

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
Ranked #12 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed at the Amstel for three days in June 2010 and booked the Junior Suite. This comes at the quite amazing price of EUR 650 per night (no breakfast included!) so you would expect only the best. Unfortunately the hotel did not live up to the expectations at all. Here are some of the points which are simply not acceptable for a hotel of this category:

- we went to the bar and waited for 15 min. After that time we didn't even have a menu yet. The staff didn't seem to care that someone was sitting there waiting, so we left without having had a drink.

- at three o'clock in the afternoon the rooms were not made yet (every day the same).

- in the evening the rooms were not prepared for the night, which would actually be normal for a room of this price. Upon asking we were told that this is normal. The staff only comes to the rooms once a day. Ridiculous at this level.

- furniture and interior was worn off. Refurnishing should have been done years ago.

- in the bath room there was not enough pressure on the water tap which let out hardly enough water to clean your hands. And the hose of the shower leaked and splashed water in every direction - even in my face...

- I booked a massage in advance. I never received an answer and so in the end I didn't go to the massage.

All in all they charged the price of a five star suite but the service and the standard of the hotel was mid-range at the best. A really unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
11  Thank danielaerbe

Reviewed 26 June 2010

I booked a night here strictly because I am an ICH Ambassador and all the love this property had here on Trip Advisor. Boy was I disappointed!! It's a really old, small hotel and felt anything but luxurious and opulent to me. Like others have mentioned, I was given an average room with a small window overlooking the residential area. So much for being an Ambassador!!

I was appalled to step up to the (small) window and check out what I could see, and find a disgusting display of trash and cigarette butts below the window, obviously from dirty smokers illegally smoking out their windows. Ick. It was positively nasty, and I absolutely can't believe it was like that at a hotel of this caliber.

The mini bar was a joke. They don't provide a pricelist, and when I asked about it I was told it was "management decision" not to have a price list. Well, I don't care how much money I have or am willing to spend, I should have the right to know what the heck you want to charge me for a soda!! It turns out a Coke Light was $8.50!!!! So glad I asked. I will never pay that anywhere. It's just absurd.

The decor was classic Victorian and to me, felt old and tired and anything but luxurious. But I am also one who loves modern and contemporary, so take my critique with that in mind. To me, anytime I see ruffles and floral print I think it looks old and tired, even if it's brand new.

The thing I liked most was the giant flat panel TV that swung out from the wall so you could see it from the bed, but the one movie I wanted to watch (that I got for free as an Ambassador) wasn't in English even though it was an American New Release!! Are you kidding me????

Upon leaving, the valet couldn't find my car keys. I waited over 20 minutes without being told what was going on and was even rudely made to move from where I was standing so that the one doorman/valet could move bicycles out for a family, while I had called for my car at least 30 minutes prior and proceeded to check out and then wait while all this was going on.

It was just lame.

And all the guy had to say was "it's just not my day". Well, sorry, but that's not good enough at a place of such high acclaim!!

I will never go back here in a million years. I feel I completely wasted over $700 for one night!! Complete and utter waste.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Nemophilist
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I've stayed at the Amstel twice now and it's like the old friend that won't let you down with excellent service, accommodations, and food. They need to learn a little about what "high speed" internet means to sophisticated travelers in 2010. A WIFI net work that delivers 11mgps for 15 euros a day is behind the times for an otherwise hotel without flaw. Go to relax, not to work. That WIFI connection won't support VOIP or VPN; too slow

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Trapped in Amsterdam by volcanos, American Express insurance stumped up for the only family room they could find- an executive suite at the The Amstel- arrggh, the pain and suffering, but we struggled through, bouyed on by gin and tonics and long baths.

The is a lovely old hotel, in the real grand tour of Europe tradition. The swags of drapery, the marble foyer, the polished brass trim are "hotel-y" things that thousands of hotels around the world ape, but never really get.

The bistro a la carte was fantastic, and reasonably priced considering its context. The concierge was efficient and knowledgable, check in accurate and personable, the suite gorgeous, plush and spacious, all in all a restful stay.

So why not give it a full excellent rating? I started to get the feeling that they had given the "A" team a weeks rest, and let the subs step in.

Housekeeping left stuff behind in the room- cleaning fluid and a few rags, breakfast staff needed constant prompting to bring eggs, coffee etc, a 6 inch brass curtain hook fell out of the wall when I brushed passed it, afternoon cafe staff were particularly brusque, multiple functions happening in the hotel at the same time seemed to take precedence over individual guests needs, lots of little irky things, that would have had me hit the roof if I was actually paying.

It is a beautiful, comfortable space in a beautiful city, but maybe I got them on a bad few days.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank orange66
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We stayed in a junior suite for four nights towards the end of March. The room was excellent, with a real coffee machine, state of the art Philips TV and genuine soak bath. The bed was very comfortable and easily accommodated a roll a way bed. The room was serviced every morning during breakfast.

However the service has deteriorated (we stayed here four years ago). Breakfast was very poor because the staff lacked experienced. On two of the four morning they did not manage to serve the eggs we had ordered, we were not offered toast, and getting coffee, milk and butter was a bit of a battle every day. There were very few guests, but we still had to wait because tables had not been re-set. The buffet was good, and of course the setting is excellent. We saw most of the breakfast staff under taking other roles in the hotel during the day (i.e. bell boy) and so it is reasonable to assume that the use of untrained staff was the cause of the problem. It is also fair to point out that the staff tried very hard to please, they just gave us the impression that they had not served in a restaurant before.

The minibar was not re-stocked during our stay, and room service could not provide a price list for the mini bar. For much of the day the concierge desk was staffed by a bell boy, who could do little more than give out leaflets.

The hotel was very quiet, as is Amsterdam at the moment, and the service may be better when demand picks up in the summer. This may be a temporary problem before summer staff are hired. On the other hand the rooms were not offered at a discount rate so we should not expect the hotel to be run on a skeleton staff.

On the whole I would therefore give this hotel a miss until the there are some reports that the service problems have been solved. I would be reluctant to pay the price to stay here out of the main tourist season. Pity really because the rooms have been equipped to a very high standard, and the hotel exudes calls.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank RallyMonkey
Reviewed 20 February 2010

As soon as you enter this lovely Grande Dame of a hotel, you feel relaxed. Very attentive and kind staff...lovely rooms, quiet and clean and comfortable. Huge bathrooms, excellent amenities....and the restaurant! Absolutely perfect! And a very knowledgeable wait staff. I loved the intimacy of the Brasserie and the grandness of La Rive....I swam every morning and loved the canal view! Just a total delight!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank cathysterling
Reviewed 27 January 2010

All started well, checked in for 1 night, rooms are quiet nice and big enough with a lot of old carpets and furniture, feels very classical, definitely not trendy or young but all you expect from a european 5 star property. Gym and pool are nice but very small, you can't really swim. Now to the bad, at 10 in the morning the fire alarm went on, after some hesitation I packed my bag took my open laptop ( witch I smashed in a day while running...) and run out , alarm didn't stop and as I am asthmatic I got quiet scared as if there would be smoke I could not breath ... when I arrived outside the building there was only staff and they told me it was an exercise .... I understand they have to do that but there was no information given at check in, no letter in my room and nothing mentioned in the elevator or common rooms . I just cannot understand that they take that so lightly, when you have Asthma, fire is one of the worse think that can happen and I was really scared. The duty manager offered some chocolate to apologized. I immediately check out and later sent an email to the Hotel Manager, he basically answered he cannot believe there was no letter in my room ! ( What about info by check in or in elevator ?) This hotel has a very high image of itself and looks down at guests not something you want when you pay 600 Euro a night. Avoid.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business