InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
US$275
US$248
NH Hotels
  • Restaurant
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$242
US$110
  • Pool
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$104
US$261
US$245
US$362
US$271
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$100
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$156
  • Bar/Lounge
1,069 results
All reviewsla riveriver viewbeautiful hotelclassic hotelan executive suiteturn down serviceconcierge staffsteam roomthe check in processrain showerduty managerstar hotelan upgradewonderful staybeautiful roommetro stationcoffee machine
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We had a nice stay - staff attentive & friendly-enough (not super helpful however). Don't pay extra for the river view - they neglected to tell/show you in their photos that construction is occurring at the bridge right on the river in front of the hotel - a view of construction cranes was not what we had in mind. The rooms were nice, but sparse and strangely poorly lit. Very comfortable beds, with more than enough pillows. The bathrooms were wonderful - rain showers, deep soaking tubs, separate water closets, luxurious towels - terrific! Perfect after all that walking. Room service was also great - prompt & delicious. The hotel was quiet (now we were not there during the day, so I can't comment on any river/construction noise) Overall, a little far from all the main attractions & just didn't seem quite worth all the money/hype.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I recently spent my 40th birthday weekend in this hotel with friends which was a special and memorable stay. We managed to stay with priority club points which was great, however as a platinum member intercontinental hotels tend not to give upgrades, so we did not get a canal view. The room however was large and very pleasant. The pool area was very special - we spent both mornings despite the rain on the canalised watching the festivities for the pride parade going by. The entire city was in a festive mood however the amstel was a welcome retreat and hard to drag yourself away from. The only problem of course was the cost of everything in the hotel; and the food didn't appear to be of a quality commensurate with the cost. hOwever i would definitely recommend this hotel for a special treat.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This is an impressive luxury hotel, in my opinion the best in Amsterdam. From the public spaces to the rooms and the starred restaurant, everything is majestic in traditional palace style.

As an IC Ambassador member I was given a posh, relatively spacious river view room.
The breakfast served in the restaurant was very good, and the views quite nice.

This hotel is somewhat away from the center, requiring some form of transportation to visit most of Amsterdam's tourist sights.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed at the Amstel for three days in June 2010 and booked the Junior Suite. This comes at the quite amazing price of EUR 650 per night (no breakfast included!) so you would expect only the best. Unfortunately the hotel did not live up to the expectations at all. Here are some of the points which are simply not acceptable for a hotel of this category:

- we went to the bar and waited for 15 min. After that time we didn't even have a menu yet. The staff didn't seem to care that someone was sitting there waiting, so we left without having had a drink.

- at three o'clock in the afternoon the rooms were not made yet (every day the same).

- in the evening the rooms were not prepared for the night, which would actually be normal for a room of this price. Upon asking we were told that this is normal. The staff only comes to the rooms once a day. Ridiculous at this level.

- furniture and interior was worn off. Refurnishing should have been done years ago.

- in the bath room there was not enough pressure on the water tap which let out hardly enough water to clean your hands. And the hose of the shower leaked and splashed water in every direction - even in my face...

- I booked a massage in advance. I never received an answer and so in the end I didn't go to the massage.

All in all they charged the price of a five star suite but the service and the standard of the hotel was mid-range at the best. A really unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
11  Thank danielaerbe
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I booked a night here strictly because I am an ICH Ambassador and all the love this property had here on Trip Advisor. Boy was I disappointed!! It's a really old, small hotel and felt anything but luxurious and opulent to me. Like others have mentioned, I was given an average room with a small window overlooking the residential area. So much for being an Ambassador!!

I was appalled to step up to the (small) window and check out what I could see, and find a disgusting display of trash and cigarette butts below the window, obviously from dirty smokers illegally smoking out their windows. Ick. It was positively nasty, and I absolutely can't believe it was like that at a hotel of this caliber.

The mini bar was a joke. They don't provide a pricelist, and when I asked about it I was told it was "management decision" not to have a price list. Well, I don't care how much money I have or am willing to spend, I should have the right to know what the heck you want to charge me for a soda!! It turns out a Coke Light was $8.50!!!! So glad I asked. I will never pay that anywhere. It's just absurd.

The decor was classic Victorian and to me, felt old and tired and anything but luxurious. But I am also one who loves modern and contemporary, so take my critique with that in mind. To me, anytime I see ruffles and floral print I think it looks old and tired, even if it's brand new.

The thing I liked most was the giant flat panel TV that swung out from the wall so you could see it from the bed, but the one movie I wanted to watch (that I got for free as an Ambassador) wasn't in English even though it was an American New Release!! Are you kidding me????

Upon leaving, the valet couldn't find my car keys. I waited over 20 minutes without being told what was going on and was even rudely made to move from where I was standing so that the one doorman/valet could move bicycles out for a family, while I had called for my car at least 30 minutes prior and proceeded to check out and then wait while all this was going on.

It was just lame.

And all the guy had to say was "it's just not my day". Well, sorry, but that's not good enough at a place of such high acclaim!!

I will never go back here in a million years. I feel I completely wasted over $700 for one night!! Complete and utter waste.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo