“Chic Hotel in the heart of the city.............”
Review of The Dylan

The Dylan
Ranked #23 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 June 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this very "chic" boutique hotel during our visit to The Netherlands in April.

The Dylan is beautifully appointed and truly a great place to stay in this lovely city. We were vitually within walking distance of "everything".....restaurants, museums, shops etc.

Our room was beautifully appointed with a gorgeous bed and a very nice sitting area - superb stereo system - flat screen TV - and separate bathroom. The bathtub was divine, and we had lush towels and wonderful soaps and ammenities.

The staff could not have been more courteous or helpful. They were watchful to our needs in a very understated and professional manner.

We loved everything about the hotel and would highly recommend it to your readers.

Linda and Jack Burton
Alexandria, Virginia USA

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 May 2011

It was my first trip to Amsterdam in 10 years and I was here on a 1 day business trip as part of a 5 day trip to Europe. Amsterdam was day 4 after Munich, London and Brussels. This hotel was recommended by a friend who now lives in Amsterdam and I was very pleasantly surprised by all aspects of the hotel. Staff was excellent. Check-in was smooth. They upgraded me to a duplex room which was very large with a bathroom on the top level. My rate did include buffet breakfast and was told that I would be charged for any extra items which I was happy to pay.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2011

One of the things I expect from a first class hotel is that the customer is given the benefit of the doubt and misunderstandings are resolved in favor of the customer.

My issue with The Dylan was that upon arrival I was told breakfast was included in our rate...great! The Dylan has a nice restaurant and a leisurely breakfast on the grounds sounded like a great way to start each of our days in Amsterdam.

Unfortunately when checkout arrived, breakfast was on our account. I asked for it to be removed and was told we didn't eat the "right" breakfast. Since we wanted something Ala Carte and had not eaten from their buffet that wasn't allowed. Nevermind our breakfast was priced less than their buffet and nobody mentioned we were constrained to the buffet. In the end the mgmt said it was our mistake but they would be "kind enough" to refund one of our breakfasts but we were on the hook for the rest.

I could expect this treatment from a typical chain hotel but to be nickel and dimed by a supposed first class hotel just jades our view our our entire stay. I can't believe they would risk a dissatisfied customer for 20 euros when we were spending 20 times that per night. But that's the type of treatment you can expect if you stay there.

Otherwise the hotel can be congratulated on a great location. As far as the room itself I couldn't determine if the furniture was supposed to look aged or simply scraped up and had seen better days.

Frankly I can't recommend a hotel that charges a high of rates as they do but don't view their customer as their top priority. I'd look elsewhere. Amsterdam isn't that large a city so you don't need the perfect location to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank cdowdy
Reviewed 29 April 2011

This property is on a canal in a good section of the city. Walking distance to lots of things including the Trams, Anne Frank House, nice restaurants etc. The staff was wonderful...attentive and friendly. We stayed in one of the rooms that had just been remodeled this month and it was wonderful. The restaurant Vinkeles is a Michelin one star. They offered a special Easter evening meal while we were there and it was certainly a hi-lite of our stay. I only wish we could find more "small luxury hotels" like this jewel!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I stayed at the Dylan for four nights in a standard room. Check in was efficient and a bit unique: you are given individual attention at a desk during the entire process. Luggage was brought up to the hotel as I would expect and I was shown around the room and hotel in the usual fashion.

My room was very modern and clean with no major problems. I few lights were out and the switches were a bit tricky to figure out but overall I can't complain. The usual amenities were present and there were no problems with housekeeping.

The real stand-out here for me was service at the concierge desk: they were able to secure reservations at Ron Blaauw (**) and any other request was taken care of professionally and quickly. These guys really were an efficient team and clearly handed off information from shift to shift about my plans so I didn't have to keep reminding each individual person.

The only small negative is more of a preference than anything: the hotel has more of a modern-chic atmosphere (club/disco music in the casual dining area, decorations in the room, etc.) and this may not appeal to all. I was a bit ambivalent but personally prefer the Old World-style a bit but again this is a personal inclination more than anything.

Overall a great experience and I would definitely stay here again. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank midway42
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We checked in to The Dylan after leaving the Amstel intercontinental. This staff wonderful, they were so warm and professional and did everything they could to make our stay special!! I highly reccommend staying at The dylan. . It is a very special boutique Hotel. one of my favorite small hotels, the location is excellent! we will stay there again when we return to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Checking into the Dylan was a breeze. The driver picked us up at the airport and gave us a great overview of the city and its canal system on our way to the hotel. We were greeted by such a friendly and gracious staff. Our room was even more beautiful and comfortable than we imagined. Great bathtub, super hot water, wonderful view, comfortable bed...everything was perfect. We were so grateful to be allowed to check in early. The concierge was extremely helpful and kind. The location is superb. The lounge and bar area were warm and inviting. Our roomservice was delicious and served very quickly. But what surprised us the most was the fantastic staff. EVERYONE was so friendly and helpful. We were so spoiled that we will never be able to stay anywhere else in Amsterdam!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business