“Great hotel, shame about the theiving staff!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dylan

The Dylan
Ranked #22 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Altrincham
“Great hotel, shame about the theiving staff!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2005

We stayed at the Dylan for 3 nights. On the face of it - not bad at all. Nice little hotel, staff could have been bit more attentive but nice nonetheless. Our room was very well decorated although it was a little small and there was nowehere near enough room to hang clothes - bit of a problem when there are no ironing facilities. Hotel is very well located.

We had a marvellous time, as we always do in Amsterdam. The hotel was very pricey but it was a treat so who cares.

Sadly our stay was ruined when we left the hotel. I (stupidly) left a bag full of duty-free cosmetics in the bathroom cupboard. With hindsight thank christ it wasn't jewellery. We checked out mid-morning and left our bags ready for collection later that day. I realised I'd left my "goodies" and thought (as with every other half-way decent hotel) they would have been handed in by housekeeping. Not so! I explained what had happened to the staff and they really couldn't have cared less. There was no sincere apology and they didn't seen surprised or concerned at what I as saying. They couldn't wait to get rid of me as their new "victims" were checking in and hearing my complaint. No resolution was offered - nothing...and we had just spent a fortune at their hotel.

I am disgusted and would NOT recommend this hotel to anybody. Absolutely shameful !!!!

• Stayed November 2005
11 Thank CarrieHooton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2005

The Dylan was one of the best experiences I've had with the hotels in Europe.
Very luxury car waited for us ont he airport, warm welcome at the reception. We got the perfect room on the first floor, with a canal view. Perfectly designed (Anoushka Hempel style, as all blake hotels), biggest and greatest bed I've ever slept on. Perfecty lit room. Didn't have air-con problems :)
The staff is very well trained and pleasant - they all look good in very nice uniforms, they're always smiling - and the best thign is that you don't see'em most of the time, but the're always there. Even if you get out of you room for 15 minutes, when you come back you find everything clean and proper, and you don't get to see any of the staff.
You can even find an eye-mask and anti-hangover stuff in the mini-bar.
The restaurant and the food are perfect, very nice and big selection. Pricy, though, but that's the thing with all the good hotels. At least here you get really good stuff for your money.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank tikvica
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

Just returned from a two night stay at the Dylan Hotel (formerly Blakes) and it was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Maybe that is the reason why this property keeps changing ownership.
Mark my words......do not even consider this hotel if you expect any comfort.
The first night the room was visually appealing upon entering but were everything from the drapes to the sheets to the towels were dated and filthy. The room was completely unfunctional as well, shower was awful and nothing in the room worked properly. (and I mean nothing). The flooring was made of a material you could not walk on barefoot. It was 75 degrees outside but management felt it was not necessary to turn on the air conditioner in the rooms. My room was a complete sweat box and sweated thru the night. When I called the front desk to change rooms I was told there would be a $400.00 upgrade charge because the only room available that night available was a suite.
The next morning I immediately went to change rooms for the next night and they put me in another room. This room again was decent upon first inspection but again had no air-conditioning. We were forced to leave the windows open for air and the mosquitoes were awful and kept us up all night biting us. It was worse than camping out. Once again, nothing in the rooms functioned properly and upon closer inspection of the stuff in the room, this new room was outdated, stuffy and overall of poor sanitary standards.
The General Manager of the hotel was off on vacation and I still have not gotten any explanation or apology for this nightmare of a stay. You would figure after the first night of a miserable stay, management would have put me in a room that was somewhat comfortable.
The staff could care less and I advise you all to stay away from this property.
I also stayed in the American Hotel in Ledspelein and it was significantly better.
The Dylan needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch if it wants to be thought of as a high end hotel.

Stayed July 2005
22 Thank Bakesie
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2005

Given the rates and adverstising for this hotel one would at least expect basic luxuries like air conditioning. Do not be deceived. They will say that their rooms are air conditioned. Most are not! They have some sort of fan that blows, but no cool air.

They twice put me in rooms that they claimed had air conditioning, only for me to find out that the staff had lied. Eventually they placed a portable unit in my room for one night and moved me to a room that was barely cooler the next night.

Additional bizarre details include the fact that you need to be four feet tall to shave in the bathroom mirror. Any taller and you will find yourself looking into a cabinet, not a mirror. That is, of course, if you manage to get enough water flowing out of the sink, or shower, to actually manage to wash.

The hotel looks cool from the common areas and is a joke when it comes to basic utlities in the rooms. It is great to be in a cool hotel, but not when it is falling apart. Additionally, the bar and the restaurant were lame. In my 5 day stay I never saw a crowd or any semblance of what could be described as a scene.

Save your money and stay somewhere else. This is no luxury hotel.

• Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
17 Thank SMMMMM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2005

What a disappointment. Having become familiar with Blakes in London, and stayed in other five-star hotels in Europe i was expecting a lot more. Very friendly staff, welcoming you with a lovely ginger and lemongrass concoction, but after that slightly downhill. Our room was superficially nice, but in need of some redecoration - paint was coming off, and the furnishings looked very worn on closer inspection- no choice of pillows either - they're all feather, which is not ideal if you suffer from allergies as I do. I've been offered a choice of pillows by four and three star hotels in the past. Nothing is complimentary in this hotel - everything in the mini-bar has a price tag! Not what you expect when you're paying over the odds - all we got were three apples, a bottle of what looked like tap water and two very small chocolates!
The food in the restaurant is divine, but hugely expensive - definitely over the odds - expect to pay at least 150 Euros if not more for a meal for two.
The decor in the restaurant and bar and reception area was faultless, but the slightly rarified atmosphere of the hotel is a bit much first thing in the morning for breakfast - not necessarily the most relaxing of experiences.
A real lack of facilities in terms of spa or pool as well - I've been told they are dealing with the latter issues.
On the whole would probably not stay again I'm afraid! Although I understand that a change of management (the hotel is now called 'The Dylan') is likely to improve things.

• Stayed April 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2005

Stayed here 3 nights in March (it is now called the Dylan) 2 nights in a superior room with canal view and last night in a duplex suite with canal view. The staff were excellent, they knew our names and were friendly and helpful. Really enjoyed the fusion food in the restaurant. The breakfast was good as well, although a little annoying when you pay an inclusive room rate and find this only covers the basic continental breakfast and all fruit, yoghurt, eggs etc are payable extra. The rooms were a little disappointing, I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers that they tended towards design over practicality. The design is quite stark, rather than romantic. Having said that, the beds were very comfortable and the baths huge. We had problems with our shower, hence our upgrade to the duplex suite for the final night. The bed in the suite was one of the most comfortable I've slept on with superb bed linen. There were DVD and CD players in both rooms. The location was very good, within walking distance of all major attractions, but away from the noisy areas like Dam square. I would recommend this hotel, especially when the new spa facilities are built.

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2005

Mangement and the name just changed January 1st 2005 to the Dylan. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. Concierge made the stay so much better by providing wonderful dining recommendations. Hotel dining room is best in the city.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member