All reviewsboutique hotelmichelin star restaurantnine streetsbeautiful hotelrestaurant staffcanal viewjunior suitelocation is excellentvan gogh museumdam squarevinkelesconciergeslhcitybrasseriefireplacelounge
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My husband and I were in Amsterdam in May. The downside was that we were there 17 days after the "trash strike". We stayed at The Dylan hotel. It is in a wonderful location, right on the 3rd canal. When we first checked in, the staff was professional and courteous, but not overly welcoming. To get to our suite we had to walk through and behind the reception area. The room was all white, floors, walls, bedding, couches, etc. It was stylish, but not very charming or inviting. There were 2 very large windows facing the canal. The living area was on the bottom floor and the bedroom was upsairs. At night there was a lot of noise from the area outside even though we were in a mostly quiet area. The beds were two twins put together, not a king bed. The stairs were so narrow that we couldn't even bring our suitcases up, so the had to be in the main entrance on the floor during our stay. There was a closest in the wall that you could use for one suitcase. The bathroom was a good size with a nice shower and bathtub.
We decided after 2 nights that we could not stay there for another day with the garbage piled up in the city. We advised the front desk at noon on a Tuesday that we would not be staying until Thursday. The would not refund me for the 2 nights that we would not be staying, only 1 of those nights. I understand that there is a 48 hour cancellation policy, but at 750 Euro a night, with garbage all over the city and in the canals, I thought they would be more understanding.
Overall, the cold, all white room wasn't my taste and the staff were professional, but not welcoming. I wouldn't spend that kind of money and not feel right at home again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I've stayed in a few hotels in Amsterdam in the last year, and the Dylan has been the best by far. Even though the rooms aren't huge, and the hotel's vintage shows in some of the architectural features (the worn spiral stairs down to the ground floor from my room were a bit precarious!) the hotel has the feel of a well-appointed home in which you are a valued and welcome guest.

My room was cosy, overlooking quiet gardens and other houses at the back of the building, and was beautifully quiet the nights I stayed there. The bed was comfortable, bathroom extremely spacious and with a lovely big bath - perfect for trying out the Molton Brown toiletries supplied. There was a sliding window from the bathroom to the bedroom (not sure why).

Breakfast was served in a stylish room downstairs, and was ample and tasty, while the bar area was very swish indeed - all leather sofas and quiet modern elegance. One night I was there, the other guests included a number of international footballers and a touring rock group, but I didn't hear a peep from them after I left the bar area. Food was good in the restaurant, and I had room service one night, which was fine though it took a while for the tray to be taken away (it was still outside the room the morning after).

You also can't fault the location: right in the middle of the Nine Streets, and just moments from good eating, shopping and sightseeing. Alas, I was there for work, so precious little time for any of the above - but next time I return as a tourist, I'd definitely like to stay at the Dylan.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2010

This place is pricey, but so delicious. It was the perfect spot to relax and unwind on my way home from a long business trip in Europe. The location, of course, is unbeatable. The public spaces are lovely. The staff is warm and gracious. And my room - just a simple double - was absolutely charming and impeccably appointed. It's not a large room, mind you, but the "Kimono" design made me feel like I was in my own personal studio in the city. I love boutique hotels but dislike overly minimalist and sleek design, so this is perfect for me. I stayed at the Pulitzer (on SPG points) last time I was in town and I VASTLY prefer The Dylan. The Pulitzer is also lovely, but it's more traditional/classic - more of a typical hotel - than warm/contemporary. I think The Dylan is a wonderful and unique experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Arriving at the Dylan in freezing weather only last week was a disappointment. No doorman to take our bags inside, no receptionist to greet us and a freezing cold lobby. The manager quickly rectified this and we were brought straight to our room overlooking one of Amsterdam's most beautiful canals. Huge, with a four poster oriental bed and furniture plus a window into the well equipped bathroom. It was just perfect. Our bags arrived a few minutes later and we settled in. The facilities of this hotel are legendary. (Used to be called Blakes) and we were not disappointed. However room service was a lottery. Each time we ordered It took too long, required at least two follow up calls each time we ordered for items that were wrong or forgotten but at least it always tasted good. The bed could have done with a few extra pillows and the plumbing is in dire need of a serious overhaul. Boiling hot water and too little cold water pressure is not enjoyable for taking a shower in I can tell you. Again such a wonderful hotel is let down by a very poor choice of tv stations and an antiquated tube television, no iphone dock or no music facilities of any kind. Come on Dylan, clean up your act or you won't stay a 5 Star for much longer....However all in all I recommend the Dylan. Just get the manager to sort out any problems you have straight away.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2010

It's a nice and trendy hotel, very well locate, but everything is small there.
The lobby is small, the gym room is exceptionnally small (3 people can fit only), and our room was small too.
InRoom breakfast was average.
Parking is a real problem.
I prefered the Pulitzer.