All reviews boutique hotel michelin star restaurant nine streets beautiful hotel restaurant staff canal view junior suite location is excellent van gogh museum dam square vinkeles concierge slh city brasserie fireplace lounge
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We stayed here for three nights and I think the hotel is absolutely top drawer. We were in a luxury double (Kimono) room which was really nicely done, very trendy but still livable. Really comfortable bed and all of the amenities were excellent. The location too is great, on the Kaisergracht which is in the middle of it all.

The only downsides of the room were a lack of wardrobe space and an odd set up in the bathroom were you needed to be under 5'5" or over 6'2'' cm to properly see in the mirror. Maybe they assumed all visitors would be Dutch height. Also the pay tv wasn't working and took longer than expected to fix, but these were small gripes.

The staff are fantastic, really helpful and friendly, the suggestions of the concierge were spot on and we really enjoyed all of the recommendations. The highlight though was the dinner at Vinkeles which has a well deserved Michelin star. Great, great meal and great service. I'm still thinking about the seaweed encrusted tuna. The head chef came around to chat to us too which was really appreciated.

We definitely will be back, when I save up enough again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graccus
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We booked the Dylan partly for practicality and partly as it looked on the website like a good place to base ourselves during some important meetings that were going to require a lot of preparation. We were very pleased we did.
Our first room wasn't right for working in but would have been pleasant otherwise. Iit overlooked the room of an enclosed courtyard. So we upgraded (at our cost but that's fair) to a better room on a top floor. High windows, lots of light, overlooking the main courtyard. Perfect for planning, discussing and writing. The bathroom was reached by a spiral staircase, in what would have been an attic in years gone by. All aspects of the room were very well chosen and fresh.
The staff were great, e.g. printing out docs, turning around the pressing of shirts quickly, getting an extra chair for working at the desk.
We never managed to dine in the formal restaurant but very good meals were available from lunchtime onwards, so we could eat well downstairs when we needed a break. Or sit in the open courtyard over a drink.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My husband and I were in Amsterdam in May. The downside was that we were there 17 days after the "trash strike". We stayed at The Dylan hotel. It is in a wonderful location, right on the 3rd canal. When we first checked in, the staff was professional and courteous, but not overly welcoming. To get to our suite we had to walk through and behind the reception area. The room was all white, floors, walls, bedding, couches, etc. It was stylish, but not very charming or inviting. There were 2 very large windows facing the canal. The living area was on the bottom floor and the bedroom was upsairs. At night there was a lot of noise from the area outside even though we were in a mostly quiet area. The beds were two twins put together, not a king bed. The stairs were so narrow that we couldn't even bring our suitcases up, so the had to be in the main entrance on the floor during our stay. There was a closest in the wall that you could use for one suitcase. The bathroom was a good size with a nice shower and bathtub.
We decided after 2 nights that we could not stay there for another day with the garbage piled up in the city. We advised the front desk at noon on a Tuesday that we would not be staying until Thursday. The would not refund me for the 2 nights that we would not be staying, only 1 of those nights. I understand that there is a 48 hour cancellation policy, but at 750 Euro a night, with garbage all over the city and in the canals, I thought they would be more understanding.
Overall, the cold, all white room wasn't my taste and the staff were professional, but not welcoming. I wouldn't spend that kind of money and not feel right at home again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I've stayed in a few hotels in Amsterdam in the last year, and the Dylan has been the best by far. Even though the rooms aren't huge, and the hotel's vintage shows in some of the architectural features (the worn spiral stairs down to the ground floor from my room were a bit precarious!) the hotel has the feel of a well-appointed home in which you are a valued and welcome guest.

My room was cosy, overlooking quiet gardens and other houses at the back of the building, and was beautifully quiet the nights I stayed there. The bed was comfortable, bathroom extremely spacious and with a lovely big bath - perfect for trying out the Molton Brown toiletries supplied. There was a sliding window from the bathroom to the bedroom (not sure why).

Breakfast was served in a stylish room downstairs, and was ample and tasty, while the bar area was very swish indeed - all leather sofas and quiet modern elegance. One night I was there, the other guests included a number of international footballers and a touring rock group, but I didn't hear a peep from them after I left the bar area. Food was good in the restaurant, and I had room service one night, which was fine though it took a while for the tray to be taken away (it was still outside the room the morning after).

You also can't fault the location: right in the middle of the Nine Streets, and just moments from good eating, shopping and sightseeing. Alas, I was there for work, so precious little time for any of the above - but next time I return as a tourist, I'd definitely like to stay at the Dylan.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2010

This place is pricey, but so delicious. It was the perfect spot to relax and unwind on my way home from a long business trip in Europe. The location, of course, is unbeatable. The public spaces are lovely. The staff is warm and gracious. And my room - just a simple double - was absolutely charming and impeccably appointed. It's not a large room, mind you, but the "Kimono" design made me feel like I was in my own personal studio in the city. I love boutique hotels but dislike overly minimalist and sleek design, so this is perfect for me. I stayed at the Pulitzer (on SPG points) last time I was in town and I VASTLY prefer The Dylan. The Pulitzer is also lovely, but it's more traditional/classic - more of a typical hotel - than warm/contemporary. I think The Dylan is a wonderful and unique experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo