“As if Built by Ikea”

Ranked #60 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Miami
“As if Built by Ikea”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Because The Mint is so new and has few reviews, I feel a responsibility to write a thorough review.

The Mint Hotel is newly constructed; located a 5 minute walk from the central tram station. And another 10 minute walk from the main activity areas of Amsterdam.

The corridors to the rooms are long & narrow. There are almost 100 rooms per floor. The rooms and bathrooms are tiny but efficient. In general, the rooms, bathrooms, and hotel spaces are very clean.

If you are looking at the most basic room, expect about 4 inches separation between the end of the bed and the wall. The beds are close to the ground and the sheets are rough. A huge plus is the the free wifi throughout the hotel and a free to use Mac in your room. It doubles as your TV screen and general information center. I read a review that said the Mac was difficult to use. I found it user friendly.

Breakfast was included in my room rate. The variety of food provided was appropriate. Not lavish.

Some Glitches:

1. Upon check-in the reception person was providing a lesser grade room than what we'd paid for and then said breakfast was not included. After my correcting, they reassigned the room and included breakfast.
2. Breakfast Area: The hotel needs a bigger area to accommodate the breakfast items, more staff, and fix the load slamming door staff goes in & out every 5 seconds.
3. Guest Services desk needs more than 2 people to man it. There are simply too many guests needing help at any particular time. Additionally, the Guest Service personnel need more training or experience.
4. On our last day, housekeeping never made it to our room. Beds were never made and had use our towels from the previous day. Also, room service trays are frequently left 24 hours in the hallway.

The Mint has potential, I hope they get their act together.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Adri0809
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us on TripAdvisor. We are always open for feedback and highly appreciate it.

We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Glad to know that you were happy with the cleanlisness of the hotel and that the iMac system in the room worked out for you.

However, I am sorry to hear that there were still some glitches during your stay. Our hotel has only recently opened and you will understand the above is definitely not the service and quality we like to offer and you can expect from us.
Also regarding our staff I am sorry to hear that they did not meet your expectations. Our staff is very service minded and are still being trained to obtain the best service and quality you would expect from us. I have communicated your comments with the concerning departments in order to prevent such situations to happen again in the future.

Again, on behalf of the entire Mint team thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
It has been a pleasure to welcome you and we hope we are able to show you differently when we welcome you back at Mint Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

Kind regards,
Mint Hotel Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,536)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I had a friend over from spain whom i liked to show around. I heard about the mint hotel and their supposedly superb roof terrace... I must say the view is breathtaking but that is all. It took more tan 20 min for a waiter to arrive.. So we asked for a menu (why arent these on the table?) then it took another 10 minutes to get it. The first time he arrivd we asked about the free wifi, how it worked and if we needed a code... He didnt know and would ask a colleague. The colleague never came back nor did he. We asked another waiter again 10 minutes later, she didnt know and finally another colleague gave us the answer, it is free withouta code......was that really that hard to tell?!?!? Then looking at the menu, alcohol free cocktails for 10 euros, would you like champagne inn them it is 17,50 euro, these are prices for upper class establishments, i have no problem with that but make sure that the service is upper class as well. We ordered simple sodas and even in an airplane they are served with more flair. I ordered tomato juice, the bartender premixed it spicey, which was very nice, but the drink was served without a slice of lemon, no coaster or napkin etc.... It is just not what i expect looking at he prices on their menu. Also the huge amount of touists just coming up to look at the view.... Imagine you sitting their trying to be posh with you 17,50 champagne cocktail, being run over by kids, staff taking 30 minutes to come at your table.... You must admit the prices are complete out of proportion. I would advice a sign saying: entrance for guests only.... We were sitting next to a huge latino family wit kids playing all over the place.... It just doesnt mix in with the guests you try to sere (looking at your menu) and please teain the staff about the wifi for instance.... How com nobody knew the answer to such a simple question? Also some umbrellas would be nice and maybe some decoration. I do understand you just opened so i hope this is just some start up problem.... On the other hand, you re already serving guests so make sure they get a nice experience wouldnyou want them to come back.....

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank lienepien
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences regarding your last visit to the SkyLounge at Mint Hotel Amsterdam. We are always open for feedback and highly appreciate it.

I can fully understand your dissapointment after having to wait so long for service. These are not the standards we are striving for and I would like to inform you that our staff is very service minded and are still being trained to obtain the 4 star quality service our guests can expect from us.

I am very sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other guests around you at that time. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about that as the Skylounge is a public bar and not just for hotel guests. I am sorry you experience it this way.

Regarding the furniture and decoration of the Skylounge we are still working on this. We did indeed just opened recently and are still working on some starting issues. That is why we highly appreciate your comments so we can use this feedback to improve our service and quality.

On behalf of the Mint Team once again thank you very much for your feedback and I truly hope to welcome you again in the SkyLounge in the future and be able to show you we take your comments very seriously and want to learn from it. I hope we can exceed your expectations next time you visit us.

Kindest regards,
Irvine, California
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My husband and I were traveling Europe on business when we missed our flight from Amsterdam to Germany. Waiting for a flight the next morning, we were advised a short train ride from the airport would take us to a new 4 star hotel walking distance from the train station in Amsterdam. When we arrived we were greeted by a top notch staff of caring, courteous, polite professionals who were ready to make our stay enjoyable and memorable.
We were separated from our luggage at the airport, my husband had a business meeting the next morning in Germany. Jullian, an outstanding employee offered to wash and press my husband's clothes he was wearing while we were sleeping, the next morning we were delighted with his excellent service. The room was exceptionably clean and offered a beautiful view of the city. The bar and restaurant employees were equally as pleasant helping to make our short visit to the Mint Hotel a truly memorable experience. In the future, I plan to make a make a return visit to The Mint Amsterdam

Room Tip: Room with a view of the city, upper floors
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
15 Thank Amandapete12
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Dear Amanda,

Thank you very much for taking te time to share your kind words with us on TripAdvisor!

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Mint Hotel Amsterdam. It is a pleasure to hear that you felt so welcomed by our staff and that they have helped you in any way they could. Our staff is very service minded and I am glad you have been able to experience that. Your nice words have been communicated to all the related departments and they were very happy to have contributed to your memeborale stay.

On behalf of the entire team, thank you again for your stay and we are looking forward to your return visit to Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Kindest regards,