“Great new option in Amsterdam”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #61 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My wife and I travel frequently to Amsterdam for long weekends. We are familiar with this brand as they have just opened in one London and we heard some good things.
I have to say we were very impressed. The location is not where we would normaly stay but for getting around it's ideal being just a short walk from central station. All the action is either south or west from hotel. Don't believe the guide books telling you that the East of Amsterdam has been redeveloped and is now vibrant etc etc - it's still very much a work in progress and will take some years before heading further east from this hotel is worthwhile. The famous Sea Palace Chinese restaurant is just to the left of the entrance to the hotel, but that's about it.
The hotel has a lot of good things going for it - particularly the Sky Lounge providing great views over the city. Apple Mac TVs in the rooms are also great. Design, layout of the rooms is good. The staff we encountered were also very helpfiul, we had a couple of niggling problems with the room, but these were dealt with quickly and with no hassle.
Got a great deal through Easy Click travel on a stay for 4 pay for 3 nights offer. We mislaid the pre paid voucher, but again this was not a problem with the hotel contacting the company directly.
Only downside would be the location to the railway. Our room was on the back of the hotel and the double glazing wasn't up to the job - got very noisy at times. The hotel is clearly still "bedding in" - they don't have a system to handle moving tables or from inside to the outside terrace in the Sky Lounge, but I'm sure these will be sorted in future.
All in all a very nce stay, we'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front, or inside if you don't want to be woken early by trains going past...

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed at the hotel 3 nights in July with my girlfriend.
The location is perfect short train ride from the airport, 3 min walk from the central station, at walkable distance from the center of Amsterdam.
Room was comfortable, free iMac and wifi inside .
The breakfast buffet was diverse and tasty, staff was usually very helpful.

On the down side , the maximum temperature inside the rooms is 22C, a bit cold if you're from country with warmer climate and not used to this kind of room temp'.
Seconedly, i was charged falsely on my credit card quite a large amount. After i contacted the customer services they corrected the billing in couple of days, still this was some what of an inconvenience , being charged without giving you a reason why.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor room, not facing the train station.
Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I travel to Amsterdam a couple of times a year and tried the Mint Hotel this time. Great experience - good price, nice rooms and great restaurants/lounge. The location is very convenient - right next to the Central Station in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Check hotel site for best price
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Located right next to central station however don't be put off you can't hear the trains at all ! The hotel is pretty much new and is therefore very modern and clean and the rooms have everything you need from white company toiletries, a good hairdryer, Imac tv & free internet in the room, wifi,safe, iron and London Tea company tea bags......what more can you ask for......the bed was comfy too!

We caught the train for about 3.7 euros from the airport into central station which took about 15 minutes -all very easy. The hotel is less than 5 minutes walk from central station and then for getting around, all the trams leave from central station too so the location is very good.

The only complaint would be the reception check in/out is abit slow but the staff are very friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English

1  Thank BudBristol
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Currently staying at hotel as I write this review. On arriving staff were very helpful I had requested a quiet room at front of hotel with a nice view on arrival not available I was shown/offered 2 other rooms neither were really what I wanted staff said the would notify me whwn another room became available. I was offered a club room within 15 mins lovely room great view and quiet. We had dinner at the hotel last night the food was outstanding! Also visited the sky lounge we left after 25 mins having not been served by this point I had asked 2 members of staff for service they said they would serve us shortly it did not happen! Other than this I would def come back to this hotel

Room Tip: Mattresses too soft
2  Thank a15lek
MintAmsterdam, Mint Hotel Amsterdam at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your kind words with us on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to read that you have had such a enjoyable stay with us and that you liked the room you were allocated in with a great view. I am also very pleased to read that you enjoyed the dinner on your last night and I have passed on your kind words to our chef and It´s team.
However regret the fact taht you had to leave our SkyLounge because you did not receive any service. This is not up to our standard and definitly not how we would like to welcome our appreciated guests. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Once again, on behalf the entire Mint team, thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your experiences with us. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We booked our room through an online service (not sure whether it was expedia or booking.com) and got a pretty good rate. When we arrived, we were told that we were upgraded to a suite. The suite was a good size and nicely decorated. It was facing the train tracks, which made me a tad nervous since I am a light sleeper. Luckily, I use a white noise app on my iPhone to drown out noises and the train did not seem to run all night. However, during the day, the trains were definitely audible. Still, the room wad great: modern with easy-to-use technology and nice bathrooms. Our bathroom even had a big soaking tub, but that might be because we had the suite.
The staff was friendly and attentive. We did notice some inconsistencies with the housekeeping staff and some days our room was cleaned early (and well) and other days our room was cleaned much later (or not as well). The staff are attentive to this and checked on our satisfaction with our room cleanliness. The housekeeping staff was often seen in the halls looking somewhat flustered, though.
Location was good, in walking distance to most things you want to see.
Overall, a very good experience.I would definitely go back!!!
Btw: fish and chips at the restaurant/bar is tasty (if a bit overpriced).

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Gidgiegrl
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear Sir/madam,

First of all thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your kind words with us.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much and everythign we have to offer. I have taken your comments about the housekeeping and will take this up internally. But I am glad that you find our staff friendly and attentive and we were able to make your stay a very good experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I spent 5 nights at the Mint in Amsterdam. It just opened for business 4 months ago, so I'll give them a pass considering. Arrived and they had the wrong category, different than I paid for. Had to pull up my confirmation to show them. Although I booked a King Club, there were none available until the next day. Slept in a tiny room and the following day, they upgraded me to a suite. Very basic. They tout Mac TV and computers in every room, it was more difficult to navigate the TV than a normal remote (and I am a Mac user). The safe did not work, the phone didn't work, the meals from room the restaurant were great, but expensive and very small portions. Although the staff was very nice, they didn't follow through with fixing anything. I would return but I'll give them some time to work out their kinks.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LongBeachBosco

Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all thank you very much for staying with us at Mint Hotel Amsterdam and thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us, we are always open for feedback and highly appreciate it.

I am very sorry to hear that we were not able to provide you with the room you have booked and paid for. I also regret the fact that all facilities in your room were not working properly or not working at all and that our staff has not been able to fix it.

These are some very valuable point that you have adressed and I take your comments very seriously as it allows us to improve our facilities and services where possible. I have communicated your comments internally with all involved departments in order to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Sir/Madam, one more time please accept my sincere apologies. Our hotel has only recently opened and you will understand the above is definitely not representative for the way we aim to welcome our appreciated guests. I therefore hope that we will be able to show you in the future that your experiences are based upon a series of very unfortunate incidents and I do guarantee you we are taking your comments and concerns very seriously.

I hope to welcome you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Kindest regards,