“freezing; poor quality services”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #60 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
“freezing; poor quality services”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Although it is a very new hotel, the room have ugly furniture, very small bathrooms. The worse was that I was freezing; they do not have central heating and the air conditioning was fixed to get a maximum temperature of maximum 20 degrees Celsius. The housekeeper did not replace the shampoo and the other used products.
they also wanted to charge me twice for the room. The room was paid by the agency but when I checked-out they asked me to pay once again
also my colleagues at the lower floors could not sleep at all because of the noise from the trains (the central railway station is just behind the hotel)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
MintAmsterdam, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review at Tripadvisor in which you share your experiences during your recent stay at Mint Hotel Amsterdam. We very much appreciate your feedback as it´s obviously gives us the opportunity to improve our levels of service in any way possible.

I was very concerned reading your review and I would like to let you know that we are taking your comments very seriously.

I would like to offer you my sincere apolgies for all inconveniences suffered and especially for the heating in your room. The temperature in the room can go up to 24 degrees celcius. I would like to inform you that after reading your review we have immediately bought a couple of portable heaters to put in the room upon request.

With regards to the double charge, i am very sorry this has happened to you upon check out. I would like to verify with you if everything is ok and nothing has been double charged?! Please let me know directly if I can be of any assistance for you.

Dear Sir/Madam, one more time please accept our sincere apologies. May I be so kind to ask you to send me an email directly to amsterdam.reservations@minthotel.com as I would like to send you something as a token of our concern.

We do hope that despite your recent experiences you will return to Mint Hotel in the future. You will see at that time that the above were single incidents and not representative for the way we normally serve our valued guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions or should I be able to be of any service.

Caroline Receveur
Mint Hotel Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,538)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 9 November 2011

The hotel is a very short walk from Centraal Station, you can see the Mint sign if you look left as soon as you come out of the station.
Check in was easy and informative and the room was exactly as specified. The Apple TV & Internet access was very useful, though the WIFI could be a bit patchy sometimes.
The Guest Services Staff were very helpful and I would certainly stay here again. The bar service was very good, the views great but drinks expensive for this city, it was about 16 euros for a cocktail!!
The whole stay was great the location is very central and everything is in easy walkable distance, however the trams and trains are a short walk away should you not want to walk too much. If you are flying in to Schipol, the train is about 17 minutes from the airport to Centraal and only costs 4 euros much cheaper than taxis which are a shade longer for the journey and cost 40 - 45 euros.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank SJJG
MintAmsterdam, Executive Office at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Sir and Madam,

I was very honored to read that you have enjoyed staying at the Mint Hotel Amsterdam during your very special celebration trip, your honeymoon.

i am happy you were able to enjoy the convenience of the location and the rooms.
I have shared your kind words, regarding the friendly and helpful staff, to our team and they were very happy they were able to contribute to you pleasant stay.

Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We booked this hotel at short notice and gt a great deal. It is very convenient for Central station being but. Short stroll away. Other reviewers have mentioned noise from trains but we heard nothing.
The room was a reasonable size, stylish, clean and well equipped for a short stay. I particularly liked free wifi and the iMac in every room is quite cool. I used the mac to checking on lie for flights, the hotel delivered the print outs to our room, no charge for printing, excellent service.
It is a short(ish) stroll into the centre of town but you should visit the sky lounge bar first for a fabulous view of Amsterdam.
In summary a good hotel with lots to recommend it.

Room Tip: Probably best to get a room on the side away from the railway. Although we heard nothing some people...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank donbeshy
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind words with us on Tripadvisor, we highly appreciate it.

It was my pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and everything the hotel has to offer such as the iMac system with the free WiFi and the room you were in.

I am happy you were able enjoye the beautifull views and the lovely drink at our SkyLounge at the 11th floor!

On behalf of the entire Mint Team, thank you very much again and thank you for your reccommedations. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 November 2011

The hotel is exceptionally large with more than 500 rooms and is right next to the central railway station. A really efficient way to get from the airport. 30 min door to door! The hotel is also only 200m from the historic city centre with it's china town and red light area.
Great restaurant on the ground floor and many different ones within walking distance. Staff is friendly and accommodating, the front office can get a bit busy but work it out if 200 rooms want to check out at 11.45.....
Overal great location pleased I didn't use the car though the municipal parking garage under the hotel costs 45.00. That probably is normal for public parking in the heart of a European capital city.
The rooms are not very large but pleasant and certainly sufficient for a comfortable stay. The personal Mac in the room is certainly worthwhile.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Albert C
MintAmsterdam, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us regarding your recent stay at Mint Hotel Amsterdam. We very much appreciate your feedback!

I am very happy to read about your trust in us and that you have enjoyed yuor stay so much and everything the hotel has to offer. it is great to see that you qualify our guests as friendly and accomodating. Naturally I have shared your kind words with the entire team.

On behalf of the entire Mint team, thank you for your stay and we truly hope we have the pelasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Amsterdam in the near future!

Kind regards,

berkshire
Reviewed 7 November 2011

If you choose to stay at the Mint Amsterdam, you will not go wrong. Located a few minutes walk from central station it is very convienient to get all around amsterdam. Hotel itself was fantastic, one of rooms was facing the city which gave us great views. Free use of the imac and unlimited internet use also for free was very handy. Although there is a gym located in the basement there is no swimming pool or spa facilities.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the city.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank shan69
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This modern hotel is located in the city centre. The hotel is modern and "minimalistic", a good bed, nice view, but the best feature about this hotel is it's employes: They realy made my stay. The service was great, we could borrow umbrellas, ask for advice, rent bicycles in the reception, order roomservice 24/7. They truly know how to treat their customers.

I'm going back to Amsterdam, and I know I'll stay at Mint Hotel

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ArildOpsal
Dear Guest,

I was very honoured to read your great review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at Mint Hotel Amsterdam.

It was with great pleasure to read that you we able to enjoy all conveniences which both the hotel and the city of Amsterdam have to offer.

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your kind words with us. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at Mint Hotel Ameterdam in the near future!

Windsor, UK.
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed weekend 5th November with my wife and another couple. In summary:

Positives
Good location next to the Central Station; new hotel; free Wifi and great view from the Sky Lounge.

Negatives
Bedroom very basic and bland ; had room on 7th floor overlooking train lines; unbelieveably noisy and felt like trains were actually in the bedroom; breakfast food quality very poor and if payinf 26 Euros would be very disappointed; check in girl not very friendly; overall very overpriced for standard of hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room which DOES not face the train lines.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BabylonBaby
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Mint Hotel Amsterdam. We highly appreciate your feedback as it allows us to improve where possible.

I am very happy to read about your positive points however I am concerned reading the negative ones. Isolation and sound proofing is a very important feature for us and therefore we are currently ensuring that any faults in our building facade and sound proofing are being solved rapidly.

I am very sorry to hear that the breakfast was so dissapointing. We try to do our utmost best to provide our geusts with a full english breakfast of choice and offer a great assortiment of products. I am very sorry to hear this was not to your liking.

With regards to our front office staff please accept my sincere apologies if our front office staff was not friendly to you during your stay. Our staff is very service minded and i regret the fact you were not able to experience this. I have passed on your feedback to our front office manager so we can prevent this from happening again in the future.

Dear Sir/Madam, one more time please accept our sincere apologies. I do hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to show that your recent experiences have been based upon single incidents, not representative for the level of service and quality delivered by Mint Hotel Amsterdam. And I would be more then happy to offer you a room on the other side of the hotel.