“Very satisfactory all round”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #59 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Very satisfactory all round”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Wonderful, professional yet friendly new hotel which we were lucky enough to book at a very reasonable price. Only approx 200 yards from the station so no taxi / tram needed to get you there and about the same into the center of Amsterdam. Rooms were spotless, good quality toiletries and the inclusion of bathrobes and the IMac Tv/Pc a very welcome extra touch. Floor to ceiling windows, queen size bed, no charge for the room safe and no noise from corridors. I would recommend including breakfast, there is a huge selection, all of which is delicious but if you don't take the inclusive option, the charge is a hefty 24.50 Euro! The sky lounge on the top floor is also worth a visit, especially at night when the whole of the city is lit up but beware the cost of a small bottle of beer 4.50Euro and wine 8.50Euro - you do get a generous portion of nibbles with it though. Would definately stay there again if the price was right.

Room Tip: If you take a room overlooking the harbour there may be some noise from the trains which pass by alm...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Daphne D, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your kind words and for sharing your experiences with us regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. We highly appreciate it.

I am very happy to read your enthousiastic and positive comments about our hotel including the room you were in with great views, the breakfast in the morning and most of all our Staff members. I will naturally share your kind words with the entire team.
I am also glad you were able to bring a visit to the Skylounge to enjoy the breathtaking views of the City.
For some great specials and offers please do not hesitate to contact us for more information or have a look on our website.

On behalf of the entire team thank you very much for your kind words and for staying with us. We are truly looking forward welcoming you back again in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Caroline Receveur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,514)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Where in the world...?!
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I umm'ed and ahh'ed for about 2 weeks whether to pay the price to stay at this hotel, but eventually decided that whilst it was expensive in general, it seemed to be one of the cheapest 4 star hotels in this district of Amsterdam with good reviews.

When we came out of Central station late and tired, and the hotel was right there infront of us, any doubts i'd had went out the window. The staff on reception were very friendly, and we got a free cookie each (standard Hilton) and a free upgrade - unexpected but very welcome!

We stayed in a Queen Deluxe room on the 3rd floor. The room was massive, with a floor to ceiling window overlooking the water and the city. The bathroom was sleek and modern with a great boiling hot power shower. We couldn't hear any noise from the corridor or other rooms which is always a bonus.

We went straight up to the 11th floor Sky Lounge and that was awesome - pretty much 360 views over the city, and actually very affordable (about the same as London prices) with a good selection of local drinks and nice jazz/lounge music. Really a lovely place to sit, relax and chat after your flight or a hard days sightseeing.

The buffet breakfast the next morning had a fantastic selection of food - a full selection of fry up hot things, a juice and cereal bar, all sorts of breads, cheeses, meats, pastries, fruit, tea coffee etc. I'd definitely recommend including this on your room price - though there is also a few cheaper room service options also available.

Overall i'd say book this hotel for a special occasion or special evening.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jocypri
Daphne D, Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 7 March 2012

Yours Sincerely,

Caroline Receveur
Alexandria, VA (Washington DC Metro)

Just got back yesterday from this hotel - March 5 2012

First the not so good: My husband and I bought a Living Social deal that included 3 nights, a canal tour, a bicycle rental, two welcome drinks and daily breakfast. The two welcome drinks and daily breakfast were not written on the voucher and they were not fulfilled by the hotel. That's somewhere between $80-90 that my husband and I lost on this deal. The Doubletree sold well over 100 of these vouchers and they knew exactly what each person should receive - shame on them for not delivering what was promised. I've already emailed Living Social as well. I know this comment is very specific to me personally ... but should just serve as a reminder for anyone buying vouchers to make sure you get everything that you paid for.

Now the good: You just couldn't ask for a better location. Based on the reviews here I asked for a city view/high floor. We were in room 418 so it wasn't exactly high but it did face the city and for us it was just perfect. The room was spacious and clean. The water pressure was great. We only used the Mac for TV watching as we had our iphones and ipad with us - the free wifi is priceless. One nice point of difference from other hotels - you can email something to their printer right in the lobby and it will print for you for free.

We had drinks in the Sky Lounge one night and went back the next day to take pictures of the daytime view.

The front desk staff were pleasant enough. About 15 minutes after we checked in a woman came by and gave us two free bottles of water - nice touch. The tap water in the hotel was great - no taste at all. We bring our own large water bottle whenever we travel and we just filled it up at the tap in the bathroom.

To put everything in context - we weren't in the hotel very much so we didn't use much of the hotel's amenities ... just the lobby bar for coffee and the Sky Lounge for drinks.

All in all - the reason you stay at this hotel is for its location. It is a perfect base to see everything in Amsterdam. It's a 5 minute walk from Central Station ... and that's a 15 minute train ride from Schipol Airport (I think it was 4.60 Euros per person one way). We had to leave early Monday morning for our flight and there were trains running every 15 minutes even at 5am.

In the context of ease of transportation my husband said this was one of the easiest, stress free trips we've taken. I agree.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the City - try to avoid the rooms in the back as most reviews say they are noi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WanderlustDebra
Dear Sir and madam,

First of all i would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am very happy that the location of the hotel was such a convenience to you which enabled you to visit all attractions in Amsterdam and travel easily to and from the Airport.
Furthermore its great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the room you were allocated in with a great view of the City.

With regards to the Voucher, I am very sorry that you did not recieve what you are entitled for. I very much regret that you did not mention this during your stay as we would have immediately have solved this matter and arranged the breakfast and free drinks for you as this is what you have paid for. I am very sorry for the inconveniences. I would be happy to arrange something for you with regards to breakfast next time you visit! Please contact me directly so i can personally take care of your reservation.

On behalf of the entire team i would like to thank yuo for your kind words and for staying with us. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Daphne Diender
Sales & Marketing
Rosh ha'ayin,Israel
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The location is amazing - few steps from all attractions.
The room equipped with iMac - super !
Room is a little bit small - price around 159 euro - breakfast not included - breakfast is outstanding- very good
Cleaniness - need some improvement - there were some spots on walls that were not cleaned.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for reviewing the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. We highly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the location of the hotel was so convenient for you to visit all attractions in Amsterdam. Also that the breakfast was very good is a nice compliment that i will defenitely share with our team.

With regards to the cleaniess of the room, I am very sorry that it was not done properly. We will discuss this with the housekeeping manager in order to prevent and make sure all walls will be thoroughly cleaned.

Thank you again for your kind words and valuable feedback. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Great location for this hotel with some good views. The city bar on the top floor has some great views of the city.
The standard of this hotel is very good and what you would expect from Hilton.

The service needs work, check in and check out was fairly chaotic despite the warm cookie on arrival!
Weekend Breakfast is also chaotic in terms of clearing away both from occupied and unoccupied tables. This seemed to improve on weekdays.

The worse part was the cleaning of the rooms, rubbish left outside the room for most of the day and Coffee cups left half full.

The lifts are quirky and seem to have a mind of there own!

Overall a good hotel would recommend.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. I highly appreciate it as it allows us to improve where possible.

I am pleased to read that the location of the hotel was such a convenience to you and that you have enjoyed the beautifull views of the city.

However i am very sorry to hear that the service at both front office and breakfast was so chaotic and needs improvement. I appreciate your valuable feedback and will take this up internally with our managers in order to improve the quality and service level.

Cleanliness and hygiene is a very important feature for us and therefore I will ensure to improve cleanliness in the room and make sure all rubbish and coffee cups will be taken away immediately and will not be a disturbance for our guests.

Dear Sir, once again thank you very much for your stay and for your very valuable comments but also for your recommendation. I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future and show you the improvements made.

With kind regards,

Fife, Scotland
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed here for three nights at the start of January for a birthday surprise for my husband.

Firstly, the location is brilliant - about 2 minutes walk along the road from Centraal train station (trains cost under £4 for a single ticket from the airport). Our return flight was in the early morning so it was great not to have to arrange transfers. Its location does mean that some of the rooms look onto the railway track. We didn't have any problems with noise although you could request a city view room if needed. The hotel is also a 5 minute walk from the main boarding point for the canal boat tours and it's easy to get around on foot - just think of the main streets as fanning out from the station, with smaller streets interconnecting, and you'll find your way home.

Inside, the hotel is modern, clean and minimalist although its a bit of a walk from the lift to the rooms at the far end of the building. The staff are really helpful and had the warm cookies ready on check-in as a Doubletree standard. Rooms have comfortable beds, spotlessly new bathrooms with White Company toiletries (yes please!), but the star of the show is the iMac with free internet access, great not just for watching TV but for double checking live flight info etc.

Breakfast was brilliant with a huge buffet selection of hot and cold food including smoked salmon and eggs cooked to order, and delicious coffee. They also had mineral water available alongside the fruit juices, a really small and simple thing but to me, much more convenient than having to request a glass of water from staff.

I'd also recommend the Sky Bar on the top floor which had amazing views of the city, especially at dusk to watch the buildings slowly light up. All in all, we found the Doubletree was a perfect place to stay to make the most of a short break.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank missussmithy
Gent - Belgium
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in February 2012. The hotel is new and situated just next to Amsterdam Central station, which makes the hotel very convenient for business or city trip.

Likes
- free wi-fi
- good bed
- big imac in the room
- spacious and modern room with all amenities you need

Dislikes
- noise of the trains (was staying at the back of the hotel, overlooking the rail tracks)

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Fitchy_gent