“Great Trip very friendly”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #60 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Great Trip very friendly”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We have just returned from a 4 day trip to Amsterdam staying at this hotel. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming presenting my wife and I with a nice warm chocolate cookie on arrival. We were offered and accepted an upgrade to an excecutive room which sounded good but in reality I don,t think for us was really worth it. The upgrade came with a free breakfast which I had already paid for. A free paper each morning this was good. A free mini bar restocked each day which was not as good as it sounded as the contents were 2 bottles of water, 2 bottles of beer, 2 cans of coke, a small tin of pringles and a packet of nuts. Not to bad for me with the beer but not for the wife as she dosnt drink the stuff. A small bottle of wine would have been better. We also had to ask for the mini bar to be re-stocked the next day when we came back after a day of sight seeing The room was fine with a good view although not much drawer space for clothes. The sky lounge on the top floors had magnificant views but you paid for this in the price of the drinks. Breakfast was ok all in all a good hotel. Even with the few little problems we would stay again as it is well located and has very friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you haven't paid for breakfast then an executive upgrade is worth it specially the view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ISCA13
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your experiences with us on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am very happy to hear that, despite the few little problems, you have enjoyed your stay with us so much and that our Staff contributed to your pleasant stay as being welcoming and friendly. Good to hear you enjoyed our special Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie and that you were able to bring a visit to our SkyLounge and enjoy the beautiful views over Amsterdam.

I am sorry that the upgrade to a Deluxe room was not to your satisfaction. We will take your points very serious and make improvements where possible.

Thank you again for your stay and for your valuable feedback. I truly hope we have the please of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Caroline Receveur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,538)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012 via mobile

Having just returned from our second trip to Amsterdam I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough . We arrived on a Friday lunchtime and were delighted to learn our room was ready . Although we had requested a city view room by e mail on arrival we were told that there were none that day and our room faced toward s the other rooms in the hotel but were reassured that being on the 10 th floor there would be worry of train noises ..and they were right ! Our room was clean bright and well equipped . The bathroom was small but ample and the shower warm and powerful ! I must congratulate Hilton on there courteous staff in Amsterdam who were not only helpful ( guest services saved us a huge que at the van goth museum by selling us the tickets at reception )but cheerful and pleasant in there approach to there work . We only ate breakfast at he hotel but this was delicious with a large variety of hot and cold foods. French toast is a must . The sky lounge although slightly more expensive than drinking in the bar downstairs has spectacular views over the city and delicious cocktails to sip as u watch the sunset . The location of this hotel is perfect . 5 mins by foot from central (if that )and 10 mins walk to the eateries of the old town. Although it is within close proximity to the station I did nt hear a train once in the 3 days I was there . Will definetely use Doubletree on my next visit to this wonderful city .

Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,

i would like to thank you very much for sharing your positive review with us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am very happy to hear that our location was beneficial for you, with the train station right next to the hotel and walking distance from the heart of Amsterdam and that had no disturbance from the trains. We are pleased to read that you have experienced our Team Members to be extremely helpfull, cheerfull and pleasant and that they were able to assist you with any information. I have naturally passed on your kind words.

It's great that you were able to bring a visit to the SKylounge and drink a delicious cocktail while enjoying the beautiful views over Amsterdam!

On behalf of the entire team thank you very much for your stay and for your recommendations. I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Essex
Reviewed 1 April 2012

A simply great hotel with fabulous facilities and the nicest staff anywhere in the world.
Great accommodation and a terrific position, near to the Centraal Station and yet on its own little island.
Easy to find, fantastic rooms and suites. Ours was simply lovely, overlooking the river, but also the railway lines. An occasional rattle from the trains was more than compensated for by the great views.
The restaurants and bars, especially the Sky Lounge, were lovely, and once again the staff were fabulous.
Guest services directed us to the best (not the most expensive) restuarants in the city and explained the tram system and where to go generally, as we had not visited the city for over twenty five years.
We cannot wait to go back. This time it will not be another twenty five years.
Breakfast was a bit chaotic despite the efforts of the manager, but with an hotel filled to capacity and everyone wanting to be fed at the same time, all in all it was very good indeed

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Sir/madam,

I would like to thank you very much for your great review and for sharing your experiences with us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I was very happy to read your comments about our staff and that you thought they were the nicest anywhere in the world. It's great to hear that our team members have been able to contribute to such a pleasant stay and that they assisted you in providing information and recommendations.I have naturally shared your kind words with the team.

On behalf of the entire Team, i would like to thank you very much for your positive words and for your recommendations. We are looking forward welcoming you again in the near future (before the next 25 years!)

Warm regards from Amsterdam,

Caroline Receveur

We cannot wait to go back. This time it will not be another twenty five years.
Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Booked this hotel for 8 of us who were all on a short trip to help me celebrate my 50th. We only had hand luggage so didn't have far to trundle the cases as hotel is right beside the train station. Arrived quite early but staff were really friendly and courteous and we got into our room straight away along with a very welcome complimentary warm cookie, 6.00 am start with no breakfast!!!! Rooms had poor views but no-one complaining as we didn't intend to spend long in them anyway. Rooms themselves were very modern, very well equipped and spotless. A bit bewildered as 2 of the rooms only supplied one dressing gown, an arm each perhaps?? There was a surprise dinner in the hotel for me and the meal was fantastic, the staff made it better with their friendly service and the chef even made me a birthday cake, couldn't praise the restaurant enough.

My only downside was that the sky lounge charged extortionate prices for drinks, obviously you pay for the view!! The chambermaid also left a lot to be desired, she just barged into the room without warning and didn't take away any dirty glasses or cups. A few of us had breakfast in the room and one breakfast was more than enough for two.

Would not hesitate to return to this hotel again simply because of its facilities and central location

Room Tip: We did ask for city views on booking but all had courtyard views which are basically all looking int...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

It was our pleasure to celebrate such a festive celebration with you! I am very happy that our team member were able to contribute to your pleasant stay and especially during your birthday dinner. I will naturally share your kind words with the team.

However I am very sorry for the service you received from our housekeeping attendants. It is our policy to first knock on the door and warn the guest before entering the room. Also the cups should be replenished everyday. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences suffered.

On behalf of the entire team thank you very much for your stay and for your recommendations. I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future, we will have Chocolate Chip cookie waiting for your!

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Read great reviews from other travellers on this site that this hotel is good.
Also provided free bottle water in room.
Didn't see them though when I checked in.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.
I would like to inform you that we do not offer complimentary bottles of water in the rooms but we do have Deluxe rooms and Suites that offer complimentary mini-bar. This mini-bar contains a bottles of water.

If you require any information or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at any time at amscs.info@hilton.com

Waterford
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights. Location is really convenient - 2 minute walk from Centraal Station Amsterdam (just turn to the left as you exit the station!). Staff are, without exception, friendly and polite and rooms are well equipped and immaculately clean. Having an iMac in each room is certainly a bonus and internet access is free...Hotel is 5 minutes walk from the city centre and I only had to use a taxi once during my stay as I was easily able to get to wherever I needed to on foot.... I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 30 March 2012

For the record: I never think very highly of Dutch service sector. My experience is that Dutch hotel staff usually has no problem to say 'no' or demand senseless fees for a child roll away or demand outrageous WiFi fees. So further introduction of Hilton values is a welcoming development. Suite room is very nice and cool. Instead of regular TVs, there were two iMacs in the room where you can either use an iMac or watch TV. location is very good. Minutes walk to all the trams and subway and Centraal Station. We used points and despite our gold Hilton Honors status were given no upgrade and our room had no view but to an inner atrium. However, there were complimentary drinks in the fridge. Some rooms will have great views of the city. There were some cleverly designed public use balconies where you can enjoy watching the city. Espresso machine in the room. although I am happy to report that it's been a good Starbucks year in Amsterdam. Both LeidsePlein and Rembrandtplein now have Starbucks.

Warning only for the near future: Due to some construction Ooesterdoksstraat is closed in the middle and if you come by car and want to self park, you either need to know the place or have some kind of GPS or Google Maps etc....because the entrance of the parking is far on the other end of Ooesterdoksstraat, again due to construction. It's a huge underground for all the nearby facilities. Follow the sign for the hotel and you can park right under the hotel. There is direct lift to the lobby. Late night, you will need your key to open the door to the hotel lobby lift. Parking is expensive. €30 or more depending on the day.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

It's with pleasure to read that we have been able to exceed your expectations with regards to our values and team members. Furthermore I am happy that you enjoyed the room you were allocated in with all facilities it has to offer such as the iMac and free wireless internet and that the location was such a convenience for you.

I Highly regret the fact that we were not able to provide you with an upgrade upon arrival. I would like to inform you that all rooms are subjected to availability but we will do our utmost best to provide you with an upgrade next time you visit.

I am sorry you experienced some inconveniences while parking your car. There is indeed still some construction work going on around the hotel but hopefully this will be finished soon afterwhich the entrance of the parking garage will be easily accessible and only 1 minute away from teh hotel. We also offer Valet parking if you prefer.

On behalf of the entire team thank you very much for your stay. i truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,