“VERY SERIOUS NOISE PROBLEMS”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #60 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“VERY SERIOUS NOISE PROBLEMS”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Our study group of 26 persons stayed at this hotel for 4 nights at end of March. I was given a room overhanging the train tracks. Only realized it was a problem after I had already unpacked. 'Used earplugs to block out train sounds, which worked. Then on Saturday night there was this bass thump, thump, thumping at midnight that even earplugs wouldn't block out. The front desk told me there was nothing they could do as the Sky Lounge on the 11th floor above (I was on the 9th floor) was open until 3:00AM and the hotel had no control over their playing of the music. Their solution for me and my roommate to get dressed, pack up and change my room.....at midnight! Instead, I took a strong sleeping pill and made it through the night. The next morning in talking to other members in our group, the bass thumping sound was heard on the 6th floor "courtyard" side as well.

The rooms are very small. I had to have a chair and table removed just so my roommate and I could move around the room.

The breakfast was good, and the hotel staff professional and friendly.

Room Tip: According to my fellow travelers, the courtyard rooms are somewhat quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank worldtraveler7000
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Mr./Mrs.,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor after your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

We are pleased to read that you have experienced our Team Members to be extremely helpfull and that they were able to assist you with any information. I have naturally passed on your kind words.

Second of all please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of sleep you’ve experienced throughout the night. As a hotel we are there to provide a warm welcome and most of all a good night rest. Our building has therefore been constructed according to the strictest norms in sound proofing which should reduce any noise caused by passing trains to a more then acceptable level. Unfortunately over the past period we did indeed find several locations in the hotel where construction has failed these norms. At the very first moment we were made aware of this issue we immediately started to take accurate measurements both outside as inside the building. Several specialized companies have been assisting us to map the exact issues, specifically as there was no clear pattern in which rooms these issues were found.

We regret to read that the room size was not to your liking and we hope that this did not affect your stay in our hotel.

We do hope that despite your recent experiences you will return to DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station in the future and that we still have an opportunity to show you that the above experiences are based upon single incidents which should not have happened. I once more offer our sincere apologies.

Caroline Receveur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,564)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The hotel was very modern, clean and the staff was friendly. The rooms were incredibly small and all aspects of the hotel were over priced. The fitness room was nice and the location next to the train station was convenient. The "king beds" were actually separate double twin beds which were very uncomfortable as they are on wheels and rolled around the room. We asked maintenance if there was a way to lock the wheels but they said no. We tried pushing the beds against the wall but still struggled. We would not stay there again.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed in the hotel as part of a stag trip to Amsterdam.

Hotel was well located. 5min walk from the centraal railway station and also within walking distance of many of the attractions or at least good transport links to these ie metro, tram, train.

Check in area was very busy but there were plenty of staff there to deal with everyone so it made the check in process quick and straight forward. On check in we were all given fresh cookies - absolutely delicious!

Rooms were a little compact but were adequate for our needs. They were spotlessly clean and very modern. Room had safe, mini bar, iron and a nice shower. The highlight was the iMac with tv and Internet included. Really handy and something unique which I haven't seen in any other hotels before.

Went for a drink in the sky bar before hitting the town. Views were great but at €8 a pint of Heineken I don't think it's worth it!!

Didn't eat dinner there but had the breakfast buffet. At €25 it is expensive but in fairness it was a buffet with plenty of variety of food which was good.

On a whole I would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed March 2012
Orange County, California
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The friendly reception desk gave us an upgraded room after I requested a room with city view. Maybe my Silver level membership with Hilton Honors helped. The room had an iMac that provided internet access as well as TV and music. There were bath robes and slippers, and the room included a mini bar, though just the basics, beer, soda and snacks. Finally, a European bathroom where water does not spill from shower to the floor! No tub, but shower had a door. It is ideally situated next to Centraal Station. We just walked to most sites. You'll only need the tram if going to the museums, if you don't want to walk. The chocolate chip cookies are still warm when they give it to you upon checkin. I LOVE THIS HOTEL! Only thing is it is above rail tracks, so sometimes you hear the trains rolling, though it wasn't often.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your most psoitive review on TripAdvisor. I highly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us.

I am very happy that you enjoyed the room you were allocated in with a comfortable bathroom and all facilities it has to offer such as an iMac and free wireless internet. All rooms contain a gerat power shower and the suites provide a bathtub.
It's great that the location was such a convenience for you with all attractions within walking distance or tram.

On behalf of the entire team, thank you very much for your kind words and your recommendations. We truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future. The warm Chocolate Chip cookie is waiting for you!

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have stayed at over 8 hotels in central Amsterdam including Radisson Blu, NH Schiller, Park Plaza Victoria, Grand Amrath and Crowne Plaza and this one by far is the most impressive. It used to be the Mint hotel until a fee months ago when it became the Doubletree.

A few minutes walk from Central Station, and Dam Square, the hotel offers free wifi, a iMac in your room, great 24 hour room service and a generous fitness center.

The rooms are fresh and immaculately annointed with modern fixtures and has a clean layout. The use of space is admirable.

I can't commend Hilton enough for maintaining this hotel and its standards since taking over.

I think I've found my home away from home.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Faisal L
Dear Guest,

We are honored to hear that you have found your 'home away from home'. I highly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am pleased to read that the location of the hotel was benificial for you, with the train station right next to the hotel and walking distance from the heart of Amsterdam.
Furthermore I am happy you enjoyed the room you were allocated in with all facilities offered such as an iMac and free wireless internet connection.

Thank you for your recommendations and we are truly looking forward welcoming you back again in the near future.

General manager
Roma
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I always visit the Doubletree when in Amsterdam. Its high standard of facilities, room and staff help me recharge after a long working day. Rooms are new, neat and clean. The Apple pc in every room is a perk, it operates as tv or computer or internet terminal, a pleasure to see and use. The rooftop lounge provides a fantastic view of Amsterdam. Breakfast is very good and helps kick-start my day. And the most beloved af its customes, the hot cookie you receive upon check-in. I absolutely love it!

Dear Guest,

It iss always great to see our valuable guests return to the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. I highly appreciate your great review and taking the time to share your experiences with us on TripAdvisor.

It's a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much and the room you were allocated in with all facilities offered such as the iMac pc and television.
I am happy to see that you were able to bring a visit to the SkyLounge to enjoye the beautiful views of Amsterdam.

We are looking forward welcoming you back again. We will have you Warm Chocolate Chip cookie waiting for you!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Yes, Amsterdam is a very nice city, and this hotel is a great way to spend the time there. Location can't be better. 100m from the Central rail station. Literally next door. You just hope of the train and to the hotel, and you are ready to enjoy the city. Nice 1st floor bar and restaurant. Excelente after hours cocktail bar at the top, so good that even locals come. With an excelent view of the city. Room is tradicional good european decoration, with everthing you need even with a 22in Mac laptop with internet that worked as TV too. Great if you are not traveling with your own computer. I was traveling alone for business so the room was good enough, but the only thing I would of liked was the size fo the room. If I would of be traveling with someone else it woule of been small. I know rooms in Europe are smaller than other continents, but for such a good hotel and the rate I would of liked a bit more space to move around. All the room including bathroom was for sure less then 18m2.

Room Tip: Since this hotel is next to the train station, reason of it's great location, maybe asked for a...
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

I am very happy to hear that our location was beneficial for you, with the train station right next to the hotel and walking distance from the heart of Amsterdam.
It is great to see that you were able to bring a visit to the SkyLounge on the 11th floor and drink a cocktail while enjoying the beautiful views over Amsterdam.

I am sorry you experienced the room to be too small for you. We do have more spacious rooms available such as our Suites with a seperate bed- and living room. If you require any information please do not hesitate to contact us.

On behalf of the entire team thank you very much for your stay and for your recommendations. I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future at DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.