DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #60 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Close to central train station but a 15-20 minutes walk to the main sights i.e Dam square, RLD etc. Large clean rooms. Helpful friendly staff. Good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 May 2012

I am currently a guest here, I chose it for the location and I happy with it. I have to say though that I am not impressed with housekeeping. On my first day here, I dropped a receipt on the floor, now 5 nights later it is still there. Today, I returned to my room at 3:00 pm, and found my half drunk breakfast coffee still on my desk and a bag of garbage on my chair. I called housekeeping, they came up immediately and explained that the coffee hadn't been removed as they weren't sure if I was finished with it!?!

I was instructed to put my dirty dishes in the bathroom, when I took here there to show here ALL the dirty glasses that have been collecting there for the past few days she just shrugged.

The concierges are fantastic, the view from the 11the floor is second to none

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The hotel is in a great location near to the train station, so we were able to quickly find it and relax after the flight. We were too early to check in, but were able to leave our bags there so went out to find a coffee.

Cookie on check in was delicious! Asked for room with a view and got one. Wasn't bothered about there not being a bath (although I do usually use it for a spot of pampering) - as the shower was great.

Apple Mac in room was very useful and helped us to find restaurants/attractions. This was particularly useful as our guide book didn't have entrance fees in - so we checked before heading to them only to turn back instead of paying to get into a gallery (Amsterdam is not like London - pay for everyting!).

Tea and coffee certainly not up to scratch - not refilled, and when it was, there was only decaff! Asked at reception, but still no joy.

Sky lounge bar views are great! pricy at 7 Euros a glass of wine, but when you think about the nibbles you get (delicious dried fruits and nuts), it wasn't so bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank didsbury85
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I reviews this hotel very favourably when it was the Mint. Clean stylish rooms, good facilities and great location //if// the station is your focus.

These things still stand but the last three visits have seen the hotel really full (the benefit of Hilton's marketing clout perhaps?). The reception has struggled and not really coped with long queues to check in. The rooms allocated are now stingier with fewer upgrades, less choice and prices some 12% higher. The rooms are also looking tired with things needing some fixing on each of the last few visits.

The hotel still delivers on its basics, but at the higher prices, over stretched service and more tired feeling then even the lovely staff at reception are having to work hardto keep this hotel as a real standout over and above normal.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank ianjindal
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experiences with us on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.
I was very concerned reading that you think we are loosing our sparks as it gets busier, escpecially because we always strive to improve, learn and get better every day along the way, even during busy times.

Therefore your feedback is highly appreciated and we will take your comments very seriously. We are constantly training our front office staff both on and off the job as we attach great importance good talented staff and great customer service. We are looking for ways to improve our processes with regards to check in and we strive for a fast and comfortable check in al all times. I am very sorry that we did not life up to these standards during your stay.
Together with both our Maintenance and Housekeeping team we are working on the maintenance of our rooms. Everything in the rooms should be in working order and we keep our rooms up to date at all times.

Thank you very much again for your most valuable feedback. I truly hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement. When you do decide to come it would be my pleasure to offer you my dedicated and personalized assistance.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We choose the doubletree as part of our weekend break in Amsterdam to celebrate a birthday and were offered a free room upgrade for ourselves and friends(who did have to pay a small fee for their upgrade)..The hotel is located within an easy 5 minute walk from the central station and on arrival we were greeted with a friendly welcome and a nice touch of a warm chocolate cookie while checking in
The rooms are clean and fresh ours had city views and the bathrooms had a large powerful showers.
We hired bikes from the hotel to see Amsterdam and found it was cheaper and the bikes in better condition than others hire shops we looked at.The sky lounge is a great place to finish your day with a night cap before going to bed and has great views over the city.We found all the staff friendly and helpful whether it was at the reception desk or serving you your coffee at breakfast The guys at the customer service desk had all the information we needed to know about Amsterdam and were happy to spend time with you to explain it.
We all agreed the hotel was a good choice and enhanced our stay.

Room Tip: ask if upgrade is possible with city view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank iancatwinchester
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Sir,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your positive experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.

It was an honor to have you stay with us during such a festive visit for your wife's birthday and your anniversary! I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much and highly appreciate your kind words.

We are pleased to read that you have experienced our Team Members to be friendly and helpfull that they were able to assist you with any information. I have naturally passed on your kind words.

On behalf of the entire team thank you very much for your stay and for your recommendations. I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future, with a warm Chocolate Chip Cookie waiting for you.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

resquested room with a view and a bath and definately got neither. Stayed for 5 nights and didnt get out bed sheets changed once. Had to request milk for our tea/coffee making facilities 3 days in a row. One day i asked reception but she told me that i had to ring for this from my room because she couldnt do it; not what i call good customer service. She eventually rectrated this statement but the milk still never arrived.
Very slippy floor in bathroom.
One positive about the hotel would be the apple mac's in the room; great facilities to look up things to do and place to eat. Also, there was a lot of dust and dirt around the windows in our room as well as very dirty windows.

If you want a good cup of tea, dont go to the bar on the top floor! 7 euro's for a cuppa of herbal tea!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roberts1308

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having stayed in our hotel and for taking the time out of your day to share your experiences with us regarding your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. I highly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us as it allows us to improve our products and services where possible.

We are very sorry that the guestroom did not meet your expectations, since the comfort of our guests is our highest priority. While we can’t meet room type requests every time, we have shared your comments with our front desk team so they are aware of the situation.

Within DoubleTree by Hilton we have strict standards in terms of cleanliness of the rooms and therefore I even more regret the fact that we have not been able to comply with these standards during your stay for which I want to offer our sincere apologies. We have taken this up with our Housekeeping department in order to prevent from happening again in the future to to be corrected as to enhance our services.

I highly regret that our receptionist did not inform you correctly and was not able to assist you. We not only strive to exceed guest expectations during every moment of the stay, we also belief in having a very personal and hands-on approach towards solving guest comments and requests, by empowering all our members of staff to immediately record and solve any request in the best way possible.

One more please accept my sincere apologies. I do hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to show that your recent experiences have been based upon single incidents, not representative for the level of service and quality delivered by DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. I do guarantee you we are taking your comments and concerns very seriously.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Me and a friend chose the Doubletree as part of a 3 night package trip to Amsterdam on a budget. Looking at the hotel online we thought the pictures must be too good to be true for the price we had paid...We arrived at 9am and thought we weren't allowed to check in until 2pm but they had a room ready so it was no hassle to let us check in early which was a relief after a long night/early flight. We even got a warm cookie on arrival! The room was clean and modern and had lovely views over the whole city. Staff were very friendly throughout the whole stay and they cleaned the rooms to an excellent standard daily. I would recommend the skybar for evening drinks for fantastic views and service - a little bit pricey but you pay for the location. All in all a brilliant hotel which i would definitely stay in again and reccommend to others. It has an excellent location on the water, just a few minutes stroll to the train station and to the city centre. Perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for city view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janine L

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. Your excellent rating and review was highly motivational and is very much appreciated.

I am very happy to hear that the early check in and the modern and clean room made your stay more comfortable and pleasant. It is great that you were able to bring a visit to our SkyLounge and enjoy a nice drink with beautiful view over the city!
We are pleased to read that you have experienced our Team Members to be extremely helpfull and that they were able to assist you with any information. I have naturally passed on your kind words.

I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.