DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #62 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This was our second time staying at a Doubletree in Europe (the other was in London), and we were not disappointed. While it may be a big impersonal chain hotel, it was clean, comfortable and modern. The front desk staff was outstanding, especially the concierge service who provided helpful travel tips. We bought several admission tickets at the front desk (Van Gogh Museum, canal cruise and Keukenhof Gardens bus trip) and had them charged to our room, which saved time. Rooms were clean and modern with a nice view of the city. Although you could hear the trains at night, it didn't bother us at all. Location was convenient to the Central Station and trams.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Appreciate your kind and positive review and truly hope we have shown you that large hotels can be personal too.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,242)

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed there last weekend for our 3rd anniversary. Lovely clean hotel and you get a very warm welcome (and cookie) from reception. Hotel is really convenient for sight seeing in Amsterdam and also for getting various tour buses/boats. Dam Square is only about a 10minute walk. We ate there 2 nights, the food is very good if not exceptionally cheap - highly recommend the tournedos and the slow cooked veal - yum. The first night we had an amazing evening due to the wonderful restaurant manager who made it all such fun. The next night, different staff, we were ignored for ages, then told no English menues (all given to a larger party arriving after us). All in all 40 minutes to get served - last time we went. Do try the Sky Lounge, amazing venue - and whilst you are enjoying the view let me recommend the chilli martini, purely in the interest of publc review I drank 4 of them!!!!! Great place to stay, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind comments, especially about our restaurant. Terribly sorry for the delay on the second night, that should not have happened.

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a long weekend in May and would highly recommend this hotel. We had a room overlooking the harbour/railway line and although a little noise could be heard it was not too bad.

The location of the hotel is ideal for restaurants and bars which are only a few minutes walk away. We felt totally safe when walking back to the hotel around midnight both nights.

The Sky Lounge in the 11th floor has amazing views of the city and a nice relaxed feel to it.

We will definately stay here again on our next trip to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review and recommendation. It makes our job the nicest job in the world.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a huge and impersonal hotel, with long lines at check-in and check-out, tired and stressed staff and - worst of all - dirty rooms. The bathroom was reasonably clean but I found a 5 cent coin and crumbles under the desk. The room smelled stale and the air-conditioning was very noisy. The room overlooked the train tracks and the window was dirty too. Really, you can stay in Amsterdam at half the price in much better conditions. Stay clear.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

I can defintely guarantee your experience has not been representative for our normal level of service, as shown by other reviews. I most sincerely apolgoize. Would you mind to send me your details of stay for further follow up?

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Amazing holiday. Lovely staff we turned up in the snow and they gave us towels to dry off straight away and our complimentary chocolate cookie which was lovely and warm still. Our room was on the same floor as the skybar,we thought it would be loud which it wasn't. Are room was big, view of the water and train station. Breakfast and dinner was lovely. Room service over priced and drinks in the skybar were expensive but the view from the sky bar was amazing. You can see the whole of the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Very happy we have been able to make your special trip even nice. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Recently spent a week in Amsterdam on a business trip. I stayed at the hotel and we used it for both internal and external (customer) meetings. It is a great location, with good rooms and good facilities. The food was also good.

Room Tip: I had a courtyard view as I was not prepared to spend an additional €50 per nightdress a city view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ictaylor

Very grateful for your kind review, it means a lot to us. Thank you!

Reviewed 21 May 2013

I am a Hilton Gold Member so am very tied to Hilton and rarely disappointed. I get the upgraded room and various benefits with being very brand loyal and for a trip to Amsterdam had a 3 night stay made up of 2 reservations - 1st night individual, 2 further nights as part of a group.

The hotel is lovely and the staff very pleasant in general. However, when I moved from 1 booking
to another on the Friday, everything seemed to go wrong. Door key was revoked leading to a long wait at a really busy reception, the paper order for Saturday and Sunday did not carry over and on Saturday morning I had to wait for over 20 minutes to confirm that I was entitled to a breakfast featuring conversations with 3 different people.
As an aside, the breakfast offering was very poor and one of the least tasteful things I have eaten in a top rate European hotel.

On both Friday and then Saturday, my room was not cleaned without me prompting housekeeping. On Friday, the already poorly stocked minibar was partially re-stocked, but by the Saturday, housekeeping had given up on this altogether which is just really poor service for a frequent traveller with long history of brand loyalty.

I gave my comments via email on my return but nothing received back so as yet. So thought it will probably be worthwhile posting similar comments here.

Conclusion - what is a wonderful hotel with really nice staff, seems to be understaffed, ill-prepared for the amount of guests who were staying there, and slapdash in their approach to housekeeping. And the breakfast is rubbish!

Oh - and if you go to the Sky Bar and it is busy, do not get table service. Apparently 30 minutes is not excessive to sit at a table waiting for a drink without any kind of explanation.

Room Tip: See if you can get a rear facing room on one of the higher floors. Lovely views
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

I'm terribly sorry to read about your comments. We do take all feedback very seriously, whether via email or Tripadvisor and respond to all comments. Somehow I did not receive the email you are referring to, please accept my apologies.
For a proper follow up on the organizational part of your bookings may I kindly request you to send to me directly your details of stay? Obviously when you have two bookings this should not result into the miscommunications you have been describing. It almost sounds like a Murpheys law, which is no excuse but for us vital to trace back into detail to thoroughly investiage what has happened. This also applies for our breakfast as we are frequently complimented on our extensive range of breakfast dishes.
With regars to minibar I'm happy to inform you that we will be opening a brand new Executive Lounge soon.
Once again, please accept my sincere apologies, hope to hear from you soon.