“Great location, superb hotel.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #61 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location, superb hotel.”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I am fresh off a 27 hour flight back home to Melbourne after a whirlwind European trip, jet-lagged and a little sleepy, but that impressed I was with the last leg of my trip at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station that I wanted to sing my praises whilst they were still clear in my mind.

This was my first time in Amsterdam and my first time staying at a Hilton chain hotel, and after the experience I just had it absolutely won't be my last on both accounts. Amsterdam is a vibrant, unique city and DoubleTree is in the ultimate base location to explore it all. Literally a two minute walk from the station, one couldn't ask for a more convenient spot. The views from the room were amazing, and a joy to wake up to and enjoy a coffee whilst watching Amsterdam come to life.

The room itself, incredible. Decently sized, warmly lit and the accurate & immediately responding climate control was fantastic. I don't know if this is standard across the board through their chain of hotels as again it was my first time staying at a Hilton hotel, but having a Mac with free wifi in the room was brilliant and so very much appreciated. It made for a very welcome change of having to stare at my mobile or my tablet to read and reply to emails. A very comfortable bed ensured an amazing nights sleep, and a shower with a good strong stream of water - a small creature comfort that is one of the first things I scout out when staying at a new hotel ;) - was the icing on the cake for an immaculate and overall very impressive room. It was so comfortable I had a hard task making myself leave it every day to go and explore the city!!

I wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel to *anyone* visiting Amsterdam, and I was that impressed by my stay that DoubleTree will be one of the first brands of hotel I source when researching my next holiday destination. The bar has certainly been set incredibly high. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank BradFraser
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
What a great review! Thank you so much! Caroline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,516)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Doubletree by Hilton Centraal Station is a really nice hotel, I booked the king executive room, nice view of Amsterdam, breakfast included and also acces to the executive lounge where finger food canape and drink where served during the evening. Sky Lounge bar on top floor also got a really nice view of Amsterdam.

Room Tip: My room 544 got a really nice view of the city
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Luigi C
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback, it is really appreciated!

It is good to hear you enjoyed the view from your room as well as the SkyLounge. We are looking forward to welcoming you in the future.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at a 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam for a few nights then traveled Belgium and France and returned to Amsterdam at the Double Tree. The 5 Star Hotel was certainly that but it was not better than the Double Tree and actually not quite as good. The Double Tree is so well located that you do not need to get on the Tram/Trolley or use any public transportation while staying in Amsterdam (assuming you are only there for 3 days or less).
The food is very good and it is priced very reasonable. It was a pleasant surprise from getting clipped hard on food tabs at most places. The service was plenty of good at the hotel. Because the hotel is large they don't have the staff to pamper you - if you are needy person seeking special services then this is not the place for you to be.
Lastly, we discovered the best thing about the hotel on the last night, the Sky Lounge. This bar, lounge had phenomenal views of Amsterdam and the atmosphere is highly memorable.

Room Tip: If you can get a room looking over the courtyard in front of Central Station, that is the wasy to go...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leigh B
Thank you for writing this positive feedback! Hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Caroline
Waconia, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We live in the North of the Netherlands and stay at this hotel most times when we come into Amsterdam. We arrived early and thought to leave our bag there but due to begin Hilton Gold Members they checked us right in and changed our room to give us one with a great view over looking the city. The cookies as usual are fantastic. We stayed 3 nights as we visited museums and the Christmas Market in Amsterdam. Great location for hopping on trams to various parts of the city or just walking to Dam Square etc.
Service is always great and room spacious and clean, breakfast buffet is expensive but good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Really nice to read your positive feedback! Caroline.
Amsterdam
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The hotel was perfect to celebrate my partner's 30th Birthday in. He was even given a bottle of wine & chocolate to say congratulations. I couldn't have picked a better hotel as my partner is a chef so we decided to try the restaurant out for dinner and amazingly we both enjoyed our meal and he had nothing to criticise for once!! Perfect night away. Sky bar had the most amazing tasting cocktails and the view from the bar was just breathtaking. We will definitely be returning to this hotel as the location was perfect, the staff were lovely and helpful. I will be recommending this hotel to all that I speak to.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Great to hear, thank you! Caroline.
Kolkata, India
Reviewed 9 January 2014

There are so many things wrong with this hotel, its hard to know where to start. Lets begin with the check in, the Hilton standard of the check in choclate chip cookie was offered to most people around us - but not us. After a half hour wait, we were told the only option we had was a disabled room. They tried to convince us this was a good thing as it was more spacious and but upon arriving it turned out to be more like a hospital room with emergency button by the bedside and the bathroom which had a chair in the shower which was inconvenient. So we went to ask them to change the room, after another wait of 15 mins I was given a room that I had originally booked with the promised street view. Upon reaching there I find the promised street view is that of a side wall of the hotel. If you crane your neck to the extreme end , u do see a street. Given we were shelling out major bucks for the river/city view promised and this was about 1 hour into checking into the hotel after a long train journey- this was very very disappointing to say the least.
Again, we asked for a change and were told nothing else is avaialable. So our long planned Amsterdam vacation for which we paid through the nose was spent in a disabled room with a chair in the shower, hospital like bed (so low I felt I was sleeping on the floor and it moved on rails!) and the view of a side wall of the hotel with a 5% view of the promised river.
I do not think there was anything the hotel would have done more wrong. We had booked months in advance and I wonder what policy made them give our room away to someone else. The in room tea/coffee had "syrofoam" cups! Never in my life did I expect to be dirnking my morning tea from a styrofoam cup while staying at a place that calls itself a Hilton. If this is what the brand has come to these days, I will plan never to book with them again. The offer to give porcelain cup on request is absurd to someone waking up to make their tea! So the expecation is we call housekeeping and sit and wait for them to deliver it - all this for the morning cup of tea?We did not try the breakfast or any meal so cant comment on the food.
This was a very bitter experience for us, which really ruined our Amsterdam vacation and I really hope the hotel takes some corrective steps to avoid giving customers this kind of an experience or stop calling itself a Hilton.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WonderWomann
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
As you mind understand, it is very disappointing to read about your recent experience with us. We do value your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our service where possible.

Regarding your room: I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. I understand it is disappointing to have to change rooms twice after a long flight, I apologize. It is one of our key priorities to make every guests experience memorable and I am confident that upon a future stay, you will have a different experience.

Furthermore, we provide paper cups with the in room tea/coffee facilities, because a lot of our guests prefer to prepare their coffee/tea for take away.

I apologize again for not meeting your expectations and I hope you will give us another chance so we can provide you with the service we are known for.

Austin
Reviewed 8 January 2014

If you are wanting to go to Amsterdam to see the museums and have a central location to jump on the subway, trams, buses or intercity trains, this hotel is perfect. The room is small and there is inadequate clothing storage for a long stay, but this is Amsterdam, and everything is cramped. We booked an executive room, which included breakfast and some free Heineken for a couple of hours a day, but the best thing about the room was the amazing view of the city. We were there new years eve and watched fireworks for hours from the room. There was just a small shower in the lowest level executive double room, but it had good water pressure and temperature. Everything was very clean and well maintained. For the price, about $160 euro per night (which includes tax) it was a great value for what we got. If you arrive by train, don't follow the Google directions to the hotel. You can just get off the train and go left by the Centraal Station and cross the bridge right across from the hotel. You don't have to go out to the street and then come back.

Room Tip: Get an executive room with a view and access to the lounge.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is greatly appreciated!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed New Years Eve with us! I am sorry to read the size of our rooms were not what you expected. Our rooms have been designed to offer a comfortable stay with all facilities you may expect from a 3 star property, making maximum use of the limited space available on a prime city center location.

Furthermore I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and view of your room as well as the water temperature and pressure. We hope to see you soon again!