“Great location-very comfortable”

Ranked #57 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Stockton on Tees
“Great location-very comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

It was important to get a central hotel for my elderly parents and this hotel, approx 200 metres from the station fitted the bill. By booking 3 months in advance we kept the price tolerably high (there is no such thing as a cheap hotel in Amsterdam).
The building itself is not going to win any architectural prizes externally but inside is another matter with great use of light. The Skylounge on the 11th floor gave stunning views of the city ( and prices to match those heights). We had a wonderful hour nursing a coffee looking at the city go round.
Good size rooms- I have stayed in many a converted cupboard in this town over the years. The empty fridges were appreciated- they are filled on request but are for your use otherwise. Beds were very comfortable. Excellent shower- no bath though. Good staff ( wearing horrible uniforms). Our 5th floor view was over the station and the Ij- great viewing through the wall to ceiling windows. Soundproofing good not perfect so some railway noise was noted. The air was very dry in the building so sleep could have been better and I woke up several times feeling very dehydrated ( no it wasn't what I had had beforehand).
Breakfast good but EUR 25 buffet was such you may wish to go elsewhere- quality however very high.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank theflyingdoctor
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Let me start by saying that it makes me happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that you liked the building and rooms. Good that you have visited our SkyLounge too. I am sorry that you have waken up a few times feeling dehydrated, we will take this comment into consideration and see if we can solve this. Thank you again for sharing these comments with us and I hope you will consider our hotel again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,495)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Munster, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was here for four nights. It is extremely convenient to the train station and public transportation. Given its location, one should not be surprised - expensive, small rooms, fairly comfortable, lots of people in and out, few amenities. The iMac in-room system is a very nice touch. The so-called executive lounge is always too crowded, with an overworked staff person doing her best to keep up with demands. The staff was uniformly friendly and attentive. The guest services / concierge staff was very competent and steered me to some excellent restaurants and tours. They were frequently up to their eyeballs in pushy clients, but would catch my eye as is to say, "please give me a moment...". I'll probably not come back here; not because of a bad experience; quite the contrary; the stay was fine. It's simply that Amsterdam has too many other charming hotels that I'd like to try before returning here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is good to hear you have had a fine stay here and my colleagues from guest services have been able to help you at give excellent recommendations to you. I am sorry that is has been crowded in the Executive Lounge during your stay, but it is good to hear that your stay has been fine and the location has been convenient to you. Again thank you for sharing your feedback with us!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here only because I am a Diamond member. We normally prefer typical cozy European hotels but I'm so glad we stayed here. It's a hotel you'd expect in Manhattan right in Amsterdam. The location is perfect especially if you're planning on doing day trips and/or excursions. The excursion pick up is right across the street. The Sky Lounge rooftop bar was really great. We spent the end of our evenings there with an amazing view of the entire city.

The service is impeccable! We got an upgrade to a King Suite and it was so nice to have a little sitting area. However, I would have preferred to be on the city side, NOT the harbor side. You could hear the trains going by since it's so close to the station but it was never loud enough to keep us from sleeping or to become an annoyance. If you're a light sleeper though, ask for city side and NOT harbor side. Either way the views are terrific. The buffet was incredible, one of the best I've had in Europe. Both American and European favorites which is always a great combination. It was free for me but would be worth paying for at least once.

If you're worried the location isn't "central" enough, don't be! The furthest we walked (to the Anne Frank House) was maybe a mile. The distance can be decieving since the city is so compact.

Room Tip: Ask for City side, not harbor side. Views are better and you won't hear the trains.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I am really glad you have chosen to stay at our hotel and even happier that you have loved your stay here! It is good to hear that my colleagues have been very friendly and that you have enjoyed our breakfast in the restaurant. Thank you for sharing these experiences and I hope we may welcome you again in the future!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel has it all--location, access to local transportation, exceptional quality! It is within walking distance of the Cruise port and Central Train Station. It is modern, very clean and has a Starbucks on site--and comes with 2 warm chocolate chip cookies. What more could you ask?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much having stayed with us and sharing your experiences. It makes me really happy to read that you have loved your stay here and everything has been perfect, thank you! We all hope you will consider our hotel again when visiting Amsterdam.
NEW York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Reservation and HH did not make a difference. We were given a room facing RR tracks. After protest and delay we were finally given a room facing the City and Canal. HH desk was cool to us. But, Bellhop desk was very helpful and dedicated. Hotel is conveniently located..

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I am sorry that you first did not have a room of your preference, I am happy though that after a room change the room was according to your wishes. It is great to hear that my colleagues from the front desk have been helpful and that our location has been convenient for your trip.Thank you very much!
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

14 of us stayed for the King's Day week-end. 5 minutes from Centraal Station and just over the bridge from Centrum. Check-in was painless, the room clean and bright with the iMac taking centre stage. We enjoyed the breakfasts in the lounge and generally had a great time. Didn't interact with the staff very much but when we did they were first class. Doubletree is not a brand I've used while travelling, but it will be from now on..

Room Tip: Upgrade to the business package to use the lounge!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FWTraveller
Good to hear you have enjoyed our hotel and have celebrated Kings Day here in Amsterdam! Thank you for the compliments about the room and we are happy to hear you will visit our DoubleTree hotel more often in the future. Thank you very much and hopefully you will visit our DoubleTree hotel soon again too!
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for four nights in late April 2014. I booked my stay well in advance using Hilton Honors reward points. I booked a "standard" room.

At check-in we were given a 6th floor room with south-facing canal and city skyline views. We did not hear any noise in our room from any trains during our entire stay. While small by American standards, the room layout was functional. Housekeeping restocked our refrigerator each day with two bottles of water (one flat, one sparking) for no additional charge.The oft-mentioned iMac on the desk can be used as a traditional computer or as a TV via an app installed on the computer.

The hotel features an "executive lounge" on the ground floor. At check-in I was informed my room included free breakfast and early evening manager's reception in the executive lounge. The breakfast offering includes scrambled eggs, smoked meats, various pastries, coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, etc. The early evening reception includes beer (Heineken on tap), wine, soft drinks, and assorted snacks. There is an iMac computer in the executive lounge with a printer and a large-screen TV usually tuned to CNN.

One tip: The guest services/concierge desk sells Rijksmuseum tickets and 24hr transportation passes. On the day we visited the Rijksmuseum the line to purchase tickets stretched over 100 meters, so pre-purchasing tickets at the hotel saved us a lot of time.

All in all we found the Doubletree to be a wonderful hotel with great amenities and a very convenient location with respect to access to public transportation and tourist attractions. I would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room for excellent views.
1 Thank ZeeJM
I am happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay that much! Thank you for the great compliments about the room and our Executive Lounge, good that you enjoyed these. It is absolutely great to hear you would not hesitate to come back, we are looking forward to it! Thank you very much.