“European experience”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #61 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our stay at the Amsterdam Doubletree Hilton was brilliant. The rooms are clean and reasonable size. The Sky bar has amazing views and very relaxing. The staff are attentative and very helpful whenever we had a query. They went out of their way to attend to any queries we may have had.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Many thanks for your kind words. It is great to hear you have had a enjoyable stay.
Should you plan to return to Amsterdam I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton.

Warm regards,

Caroline

Reviewed 14 July 2014

very good location, nearby Central Station and close to most public transportation. Excellent service, nice accommodation and clean rooms, excellent food, friendly people. We had a very enjoyable stay and can recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate your nice compliments.
It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay!

We would love to welcome you back in our hotel in the future.

Warm regards,

Caroline

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location and is a beautiful hotel. Very modern and very clean.
Upgrade to the Exexcutive Balcony - its worth it, I had a very long balcony with furniture and a fantastic view of the city. Also with the upgrade you get access to the exec lounge every night for 2 hours, where they serve drinks and appertizers (very scrumptious!).
The down side to this hotel is inattentive staff - I arrived at 5pm and was told my room was not ready! I was given a voucher for a free drink in the Sky Lounge - this is a beautiful open air lounge on the 11th floor again with great views. However after travelling all day I had to lug my suitcase with me and then go back to reception in 30 mins - I would of thought they could of stored my bag for the 30 minutes whilst I waited for them to get their act together. When I did get to my room there was empty glasses and a water bottle on the floor outside of my room, I moved them to the windowsill opposite - they were still there 2 days later when I checked out.
On my first night I was the victim of an opportunist thief and lost my iPad - Guest Services at the hotel didn't seem concerned, they did make a phone call to the bar area to see if it had been handed in, but that was that. The next morning I again asked at reception if they had any news and asked for directions to the nearest Police Station. I was given a map with the station marked out and off I went.... 3 hours later all I found was a police station that is no longer operational!! I then returned to the hotel and relayed this information to the guy on guest services and his colleague overheard and said he knew that the station was not now used but he knew where there was another station. I asked them to call me a taxi to take me to the station (it was 5 minutes walk away but cost me 15 euros because of oneway systems and heavy traffic). Surely if someone is employed on guest services the least you would expect is them to have excellent knowledge of the surrounding areas.
Would I go back - yes probably, I'll just be more careful!!!

Room Tip: 10th floor, your less likely to hear noise from trains
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Viv L
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

I am very glad you liked our hotel and enjoyed the excellent views of the city from the balcony of your room.

On the other hand, I am so sorry you had to wait with your luggage for your room. It could be that sometimes the room is not ready therefore we offered you a drink to make the wait a bit more pleasant however please note you can always storage your luggage with us while waiting so you dont need to carry it around. My apologies for not asking to do this for you.
As per the empty glasses outside of your room, we will definitely take this internally with our Housekeeping department and make sure it doesnt in the future.

It is terrible news to know you lost your iPad, so disappointing during your stay! I completely understand you were upset and of course wanted to present the charges at a police station. My deepest apologies for giving you the wrong direction, this certainly didnt help you at all, and for giving you the impression we were not concerned about it. We are, that is why your review is so important to me, as it helps us fully understand our performance and it helps us to improve our overall service.

Ms Lister, as a touch of apology I would like to send you a gift from our hotel. You will receive an email directly from me so that you can send me your address details.

I hope we will welcoming you back on your next visit to Amsterdam and that you give us the opportunity to reinstate your faith in our hotel and our staff.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for one night as we could not get another night at the great Boogards B&B (see my other reviews). It's just to the right of Amsterdam Central Station so very conveniently located meaning you won't have to drag your luggage across town and yet it's very convenient to walk into town, no more than say 10 minutes to Dam Square.

The staff were very pleasant, asking if you were okay or the if the stay was good. The rooms were very comfortable with great views of the City. Speaking of which it is worth going up to the Sky Lounge on the 11th floor with more views right around the City. Again speaking of lounges, the Executive Lounge is an added bonus if you get an executive room or have the right level of Hilton HHonours card.

It is busy however but that has to be expected I guess with a major international chain of hotels.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tycariadus

Thank you for sharing this information! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location to be very convenient in town!

I am very happy our staff were very pleasant and you felt they really cared about your stay. That is why we are here for!

I look forward to welcoming you soon to our hotel again.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was here for a three day weekend on July 4. Great location, there are trains direct to the airport that run every half hour from Centraal station next door and the other train that has a few stops between Centraal and the airport run every 15 minutes and the doubletree is a 2 minute walk.

I arrived late morning and my diamond status was acknowledged and no problem checking in right away which I appreciated since I wanted a shower and to change clothes after a long flight. WIth the soccer game going on and the hotels filled I wasn't expecting an upgrade, but was told I had been upgraded to their skyview suite. Room had a large living room area and bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, and a large foyer/entry way. Great view of the canal and city.

Entire staff was great. Skylounge was amazing. I really liked the TV's, There was a large screen tv in the living room and a large computer monitor in the bedroom, both with full keyboards and mice. You accessed the tv through the computer (which was sort of weird not having a remote to turn the screen on) and was great being able to access the internet that way.

The only reason I am giving this hotel a four instead of five is the lounge. As others have mentioned it is too crowded and the offerings are awful.

They give all gold's access instead of limiting it to Hilton diamonds and those in exec rooms. They need to start giving gold's a voucher for the starbuck's in the hotel for breakfast or giving diamonds a full breakfast. The offerings at breakfast were awful, most US Hilton lounges have a better breakfast. Scrambled eggs and only a couple bread choices and they only had one two-slice toaster. No access to OJ except at breakfast and no access to soda except from 6 to 8 p.m. where most lounges have access to soft drinks whenever the lounge is open. The variety of jarred candies was nice and unusual though.

If they improved the lounge offerings and only gave access to Diamonds and those on the exec floor per the HH T&C, I would give this hotel five stars.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jamesteroh
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Many thanks for this great review! I will be sure to pass on the compliments to the team, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay. We will surely consider your recommendations regarding our Executive Lounge, we are always looking to improve our service. - Caroline Receveur

Reviewed 13 July 2014

One of our worst hotel experiences in several years. The sleek, modern design belies the completely inadequate soundproofing between floors. We were kept awake most of the night from the impact noise of the floor above us. The extremely modern rooms were visually interesting, but lacked functionality, such as the undersized closet, and a 17" Apple Mac doubling as a TV. The
location is only desirable if you have an early train.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the tenth floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jordan232

Thank you very much for your reply. I regret reading about your experience and I offer my sincere apologies. The hotel was build according strict soundproof demands, and it should have happened you were kept awake from the noise. Could you please reach out to the hotel directly so we can get more details on your stay and solve this issue. Thank you very much. - Caroline Receveur

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I are both HH Diamonds and we each had a award stay for 1 night as we neede 2 rooms. The hotel is very convenient to the train station and the wifi works great. Nothing special for diamond members. Originally we were not offered any upgrades but when I politely asked them they offered us Exective rooms. Although the rooms were very average they had the views of the canal. No TV (computer and monitor doubled as a TV), no hairdryer and no coffee in the room. As others mentioned the Executive lounge was very crowded at breakfast. They had the door open so anyone could walk in! At other times there was onky water, coffee and candy. The sodas and juices were locked except during 6 to 8pm which we missed as we were at dinner. The hotel is okay for a 1 day dtay but for a longer stay I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank DisneyFan09

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have shared your feedback with the team, and we will make sure to improve the breakfast at the Executive Lounge. Please note that the hairdryer and coffee/tea facilities are available in each room, you can find them in the drawers of the desk and wardrobe. Thank you once again, and we hope to welcome you again so we can show do provide quality service we are so proud of! - Caroline Receveur