DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #60 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 July 2014

.Close to train station 5 euros for a single trip 20 mins from airport.and 5 min walk to Hotel.. Checked in at 9a.m. room ready but girl at reception asked us if we would like to upgrade to executive room for 200euros. This will give you free breakfast and access to executive lounge for drinks and nibbles. Canal and city view which we asked for so yes we went for that. Sorry this room not ready yet but leave suitcases and come back at 3p.m.Off we went for a look around and came back at 4p.m. to be told this room wasnt ready but another was. Went up to room and as soon as you walk in the outside wall hits you. We were expecting city and canal views. Yes you could see them slightly as you look to left but this is not we were told.Went down to reception and complained. gave us another but was smaller and no room for the extra bed for my son.Went down again and they gave us another same as first one but on the 5th floor. Said not happy so got reception manager invloved and she suggested a room on 7th floor. Small no room for extra bed and less of a view. By now we were getting slightly tired up and down lift with suitcases and very angry. Reception manager came over and spoke to us and said that all rooms were like that and the end ones only big enough for extra bed, unless you have an inner accessible room with no view.We asked to be upgraded to a suite and said she couldnt do that. She said she would waiver the extra 200 euros but we wouldnt get breakfast and use of the lounge. By now we were getting really annoyed and asked to see the Hotel manager who came and apologised. She explained that she couldnt put us in a suite as it would cost us more. The only option she came up with was the original room which was big enough to put bed in and had half of the canal and city views. We then asked if she would accept 100 euros and to still have breakfast and use of lounge. This she agreed and off we went to the room about 1 hour later. We then went out for a drink and something to eat came back at 10p.m. as we had such a long day to find the bed still not made up. Oh dear.Phone call made to reception and off to Skylounge for a tipple before bed. Lovley views across the city well worth a look but found drinks very expensive. Your only paying for the views. Good nites sleep was had by all. Down to the lounge for breakfast good choice only thing was the scrambled eggs were always cold. Managed to find a seat every morning but had to ask staff for more cheese, bread etc. Like someone pointed out only a small toaster could do with more.Also found that door left open on many occasions so who knows who was popping in for a freebie breakfast. Needs to be manned better by staff. Especially if your charging guests extra for this facility and someone who hasnt booked breakfast can like i said pop in for a freebie.One american gent came in with bacon, sausage etc from the other breakfast bar and sat down then went anf got more for his wife. I went to have a look to find that no staff were manning the guests coming in. So I went and got bacon for my husband and no-one questioned me. This is not good as I guess you are losing money ( a free for all). Same in the evening for drinks and nibbles. Door open and guests and others helping them selves to wine, beer and food. Some taking great advantage and filling their pockets with fruit, bottles of coke,fanta, sweets unbelievable. I guess some hadnt paid for this. You do need to address this situation for the future.
The room wasnt cleaned when we came back at 4p.m. They then came at 5p.m. which isnt good when you want to relax after a busy day and get showered and ready for the evening. We told them to just leave clean towells and do it tomorrow. On arriving back the following day the beds were made and clean towells but bin not emptied. A knock on the door again about 5p.m. a man came to change bin bag. Not good. Suggest you get more house keeping staff to clean rooms by 3p.m. as is the norm and ready for when guests get back and also have them ready for when new guests arrive not at 5p.m. No good saying you have over 500 rooms it dosnt matter more staff needed.
After all our moans and groans. The staff here were friendly. The Hotel is in a good location. Beds were comfortable.
But my points I raised above should be addressed.

Room Tip: Good size room. Need to be front facing for a view of canal and city but be aware its not a full vie...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DevonCheekyMonkey
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. My apologies for your experiences regarding the rooms. This should have been solved faster. I will share your feedback within our teams. Please let me know personally when you have any further questions and/or comments! Regards, Caroline.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Lobby looks big but too minimalist (actually nothing much) The rooms were nice & very clean. The down side was the reception upon checking in. An early checkin was requested before noon, but we were told to be back by noon otherwise we can get a room if we upgrade. We decided to be back a bit after 12 noon and was told to come back by 1pm then still no room. we decided to get lunch and be back by 3pm still no room was ready until they got a lot of words from us which made them decide to give a room immediately.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the city and not the railways :-(
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that our check in time is 15:00 o clock. My apologies that your room was not ready in time! I will share this within our teams.
Regards, Caroline

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just finish spending 5 days in Amsterdam at the Double Tree by Hilton. This hotel is strategically located few meters from the Amsterdam Central Station. My room was on the six floor over lookink the canal and the Old city, wow. No noise, great service in the executive lounge with complimentary wine and beer during happy hour 18:00/20:00 pm and an excellent Breakfeast in the morning.

If your intent is having a great time in Amsterdam, this is where I would go!

Room Tip: Canal and Old city view with the executive package
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank YvesD261

Great feedback! Thank you so much. Regards, Caroline

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel with two of my friends from the 11th to the 16th of July. Me and the girls enjoyed our stay however I will begin with the negative aspects of our stay of which, thankfully, there were few! Our main complaint is with one or two of the reception staff who we felt treated us with some disrespect due to our appearance. We are 21&22 year old girls with tattoos and piercings who were in Amsterdam to enjoy the coffee shops. I don't think they appreciated that, regardless of the fact that we were polite and friendly to everyone we encountered and made absolutely sure to tip the staff to show our appreciation for the great service. One night we asked for extra tea bags for our room at reception where the trainee girl looked as if she really didn't want to deal with our 'kind'and was far colder and unhelpful than other staff members we met. We waited 35mis for the tea before calling reception to see where it was. Another 25minutes later the tea arrived without apology for the hour delay. HOWEVER that was one judgemental staff member! Most were absolutely fabulous and a credit to the hotel. The gent who did the room cleaning was an absolute gentleman I wish I knew his name so the hotel would know what a gem they have! Also Sylvie, a SkyLounge employee, was extremely friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome. I certainly do not agree with the negative reviews of SkyLounge staff as we thought they were very friendly! In short we loved the hotel, the fresh cookies on arrival were a great touch in a city full of coffee shops! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, you just need to remember that one or two staff will look down on you if you don't look like your typical Hilton guest! We would still go back in a heartbeat though. Amazing location and stunning hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your sharing your feedback. First of all I would like to make clear that everybody is more than welcome in our hotel! I am very surprised about your experiences and will definitely discuss this with the team, my sincere apologies about it!. I will make sure this won't happen ever again. Hopefully we may welcome you back again soon. Please let me know personally when you are planning your trip so I can make sure you will have a care free stay.
Regards, Caroline.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Great hotel great location walking distance to main part of town and of course the famous red light city and canals The Lobby Bar was fantastic the service and all the staff always happy to help The Sky Lounge was fantastic what a view and amazing Sunset.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Very nice to read your positive review. Thank you and hopefully we will see you next time! Caroline.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Great location and amazing roof top bar. A few English channels too including 13th Street. SVU, CI, Perception. Perfect.

Late late late checkout.

Great staff and exceptional room. Good size and very comfortable.

Walking distance to all of Amsterdam's attractions.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Hugh J
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Great to read such a positive review. See you next time!
Kind regards, Caroline

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my husband and two teenage boys for three nights. Excellent and efficient service at the front desk upon arrival. The complimentary warm chocolate chip cookies were just what we needed after a long flight. Rooms not too big but have everything you need. The kettle is very handy. Buffet breakfast was very good along with all the restaurants. The sky Lounge on the 11th floor is not to be missed as it has a very warm ambience and great views of the water & the city. The NEMO science museum is within a 2 minute walk and has 2 floors for teens. We waited for our boys on the roof top that has a great cafe while they enjoyed the museum. All other attractions are fairly within walking distance including bike rentals, restaurants, shopping, etc. I would recommend the countryside excursion to the windmills, cheese factory, and clog making ( thanks to Elmo, the concierge).
We highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank buddahMiddleEast
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback!

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay that much. I will give a special thank you to Elmo, he will be delighted to receive this.

I hope that we can welcome you again during your next travel to Amsterdam!

Kind regards,