“A mixed bag”

Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam
Ranked #58 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 November 2011

A bit late with this review, but my Partner and I stayed in this hotel over the Summer holidays. I had booked before the hotel had opened, and did my research prior to booking. I liked the idea of staying in the hotel as it was newly built and expected the quality to be high.

The major negative I have to raise is that the check in period was a nightmare, we arrived from the airport a little early and they didn't have our room ready, this was our fault and not an issue, reception offered to take our bags and suggested we went into the city whilst they prepared our room. On our return we were given our key and told that they'd send the bags up. So far so good.
However, when we arrived at the room it wasn't the room we had booked. I had specifically checked their rooms before making the booking and had paid extra for a room with a bath rather than just a shower, a “king size bed” and a view of the garden. The room we had been given had no bath, two single beds pushed together rather than a kingsize bed and no garden view. So I popped down to reception to see if a mistake had been made, the receptionist spoke to the manager and came back and told me that it was the room I had booked and that nothing could be done. So I went back to my room, checked my email on my iPad to ensure that I hadn't made a mistake, and checked the description of the room I had booked on their website, and back to reception I went and showed them their website, the room description and asked for the situation to be resolved. I was again told that there was nothing they could do, and that they had no rooms with kingsize beds at all and that the website was in error.

I was very unhappy about this and went back to the room to inform my fiancée who was disappointed as this wasn't the romantic break that we had planned.

I then reception called us and apologised for the situation, and I told them that it wasn't good enough, and that I hadn't got the room I'd paid for. The receptionist was very apologetic but insisted that the rooms that we had booked didn't exist. She then called back AGAIN stating that she had spoken to the manager and there were two rooms available that she would like us to look at, she came and collected us from the room and the first room she showed us was EXACTLY as the description had been on the website, a Kingsize bed that she had previously insisted they didn't have, a bath that she had previously said they had no rooms available with and a garden view.

We didn't see the second room on offer as that was exactly what I had paid for and what I had wanted, but it took the best part of 2 hours to sort out and some stress and upset on our half that was unnecessary if they had given us the correct room in the first place.

The rest of the stay was uneventful, other than the maid service not replenishing the coffee/tea one day we were perfectly happy, the bath was lovely and large and fit two people easily, the bed was clean and comfy and the rest of the room was modern stylish and well fitted. The restaurant was pleasant too and I wish I could remember the name of the lady who served us who was very jolly and pleasant in there and made the meal memorable. I would stay at the Eden Manor again, but I would warn all people planning to stay there to make sure they get the room they pay for if they book a Deluxe room, as they seem to try to palm people off into the cheaper “Superior” rooms.

You shouldn't have to complain so much so many times and be lied to when paying extra for a room, and I travel frequently and this is the first “Eden” hotel I've stayed in and gave me the worst first impression I've ever experienced in a hotel.

Over all its an nice location, most of the staff were very pleasant, the waitress in the restaurant and the concierge in particular deserve a mention. But I don't like being lied to, especially when spending so much money for a week stay.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in a Superior room if you paid me, they're small, on an unattractive side of...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lenderz

Reviewed 17 November 2011

Loved this hotel, although a tiny bit far away from the city centre but the tram n bus is a step away. The rooms r airy n breathy, w cofi n tea maker. Not many amneties in bathroom. Free wifi n v v lovely staff esp Minuo - the concierge who gave us excellent dinning recommendations,followed up on our lost baggage n was v v pleasant. Restaurant serves v good food too. Will definitely come back

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had to move Hotels on the day as my original ( Downtown Amsterdam) was a hole and this hotel had a room free on the day.
Lovely rooms , nice size , comfortable bed , luxury hotel and not a luxury price !

The Hotel is 10 minutes from Light Square but not many places to eat by the Hotel so I had supper in the restaurant which for me was very expensive and not worth the money at all ( sorry )

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2011

A converted hospital, nicely decorated with comfortable modern rooms. Service was friendly and attentive.
Beakfast was a little disappointing and car parking is a nightmare. The hotel has only a few parking places which need to be reserved (they lost our reservation) it is very difficult to park anywhere legally in this area.
location is good only a short cab ride to the city centre.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank steveAsserballeskov
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Modern design hotel. Not badly located : 15 min away from city centre by tram, 15 min away from P+R parking by bus (otherwise parking in the street or at the hotel is really expensive :25€/day !). Nice bar. Corridor a bit trashy, look better on the photo than in the reallity. Room has a nice design but materials are a bit cheap and sound isolation could be better. No view for the rooms at the first floor.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Nice Hotel, stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and the staff were excellent and the restaurant and bar was very good.
It is about 15 minutes from the city centre by tram or bike, we did not use the taxi's so I do not know how much they cost. The rooms were comfortable and clean, We did not do the Breakfast buffet which seemed a little expensive. we bought breakfast across the street in a store.
If you like quite and a good nights sleep and do not mind traveling to and from the city we would recommend this hotel. If you do not want to learn the trams or rent a bike you should stay closer to the city

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We got a great deal on this hotel using frequent flier miles - the hotel was fresh and new! The property had fun, quirky decor and all the amenties we wanted. The buffet breakfast was wonderful - fresh fruit, cereals, yogurt and a coffee/espresso/latte machine, and the restaurant setting was quite nice. There is a tram stop (#9) right outside the door that will take you straight to Centraal Station. We were on the top floor & could open the windows & look down on the backyard area & let in the breeze. We would stay here again.

Only complaint was that in the room, the area by the mirror was open to the bedroom area. This might be very stylish in terms of interior decorating, but is quite lacking in practicality. If traveling alone, this is not an issue - but please, doesn't everyone at least want the OPTION of being able to have privacy in the bathroom???

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple