“charming hotel”

Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam
Ranked #58 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights -- we were given a room on the ground- floor facing the street. At first we thought it would be noisy, but it was ok -- hardly heard anything, slept through the night comfortably. The room has high-ceiling, decor is very trendy and modern, the king- size bed was very comfy, flat-screen tv, wooden floors, complimentary 1-day in room wi-fi. We did not have breakfast at the hotel - so can't comment on that, and we're not really heavy into heavy breakfast -- but the room has hot water maker, instant coffee, tea and hot coco. Hotel is not in the center, a short tram ride (catch tram nr. 9 in front of the hotel) brings you in the center. We even walked to the center on our first night -- it was about 30 minutes walk. The hotel is very close ( 5-7 min. Walk) to Tropen Museum (Tropical Museum). Definitely recommend a visit. We really like the Eden Manor -- we'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Read MANY reviews on this hotel and was sure it would be fine!
Requested an upgrade prior to arrival for husbands 40th... had to pay extra. Room nice enough but the old hospital bit spooked me out. Trying to be a boutique hotel but not quite getting there. We dirtied sheets on first night with a dropped hamburger....they were not changed over our 3 nite stay!! dirty glasses from the bar and rubbish on bedside were not taken away either. not 4 star standard at all... Husband suffered with his dust allergy too... Concierge great. It is a tiny bit far out but didnt really bother us-last tram 12.15am..we bought a 3 day pass near central station-hop on hop off as you please. Not much atmosphere at all about the place,. On departure the receptionist blew it completely...totally cold and not pleasant...at all....our mistake was not bringing travel plug down from room!!! she didnt thank us for custom or say goodbye....no eye contact at all-will not be back!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank marlene968
Reviewed 24 November 2011

A bit late with this review, but my Partner and I stayed in this hotel over the Summer holidays. I had booked before the hotel had opened, and did my research prior to booking. I liked the idea of staying in the hotel as it was newly built and expected the quality to be high.

The major negative I have to raise is that the check in period was a nightmare, we arrived from the airport a little early and they didn't have our room ready, this was our fault and not an issue, reception offered to take our bags and suggested we went into the city whilst they prepared our room. On our return we were given our key and told that they'd send the bags up. So far so good.
However, when we arrived at the room it wasn't the room we had booked. I had specifically checked their rooms before making the booking and had paid extra for a room with a bath rather than just a shower, a “king size bed” and a view of the garden. The room we had been given had no bath, two single beds pushed together rather than a kingsize bed and no garden view. So I popped down to reception to see if a mistake had been made, the receptionist spoke to the manager and came back and told me that it was the room I had booked and that nothing could be done. So I went back to my room, checked my email on my iPad to ensure that I hadn't made a mistake, and checked the description of the room I had booked on their website, and back to reception I went and showed them their website, the room description and asked for the situation to be resolved. I was again told that there was nothing they could do, and that they had no rooms with kingsize beds at all and that the website was in error.

I was very unhappy about this and went back to the room to inform my fiancée who was disappointed as this wasn't the romantic break that we had planned.

I then reception called us and apologised for the situation, and I told them that it wasn't good enough, and that I hadn't got the room I'd paid for. The receptionist was very apologetic but insisted that the rooms that we had booked didn't exist. She then called back AGAIN stating that she had spoken to the manager and there were two rooms available that she would like us to look at, she came and collected us from the room and the first room she showed us was EXACTLY as the description had been on the website, a Kingsize bed that she had previously insisted they didn't have, a bath that she had previously said they had no rooms available with and a garden view.

We didn't see the second room on offer as that was exactly what I had paid for and what I had wanted, but it took the best part of 2 hours to sort out and some stress and upset on our half that was unnecessary if they had given us the correct room in the first place.

The rest of the stay was uneventful, other than the maid service not replenishing the coffee/tea one day we were perfectly happy, the bath was lovely and large and fit two people easily, the bed was clean and comfy and the rest of the room was modern stylish and well fitted. The restaurant was pleasant too and I wish I could remember the name of the lady who served us who was very jolly and pleasant in there and made the meal memorable. I would stay at the Eden Manor again, but I would warn all people planning to stay there to make sure they get the room they pay for if they book a Deluxe room, as they seem to try to palm people off into the cheaper “Superior” rooms.

You shouldn't have to complain so much so many times and be lied to when paying extra for a room, and I travel frequently and this is the first “Eden” hotel I've stayed in and gave me the worst first impression I've ever experienced in a hotel.

Over all its an nice location, most of the staff were very pleasant, the waitress in the restaurant and the concierge in particular deserve a mention. But I don't like being lied to, especially when spending so much money for a week stay.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in a Superior room if you paid me, they're small, on an unattractive side of...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lenderz
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Loved this hotel, although a tiny bit far away from the city centre but the tram n bus is a step away. The rooms r airy n breathy, w cofi n tea maker. Not many amneties in bathroom. Free wifi n v v lovely staff esp Minuo - the concierge who gave us excellent dinning recommendations,followed up on our lost baggage n was v v pleasant. Restaurant serves v good food too. Will definitely come back

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had to move Hotels on the day as my original ( Downtown Amsterdam) was a hole and this hotel had a room free on the day.
Lovely rooms , nice size , comfortable bed , luxury hotel and not a luxury price !

The Hotel is 10 minutes from Light Square but not many places to eat by the Hotel so I had supper in the restaurant which for me was very expensive and not worth the money at all ( sorry )

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2011

A converted hospital, nicely decorated with comfortable modern rooms. Service was friendly and attentive.
Beakfast was a little disappointing and car parking is a nightmare. The hotel has only a few parking places which need to be reserved (they lost our reservation) it is very difficult to park anywhere legally in this area.
location is good only a short cab ride to the city centre.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank steveAsserballeskov
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Modern design hotel. Not badly located : 15 min away from city centre by tram, 15 min away from P+R parking by bus (otherwise parking in the street or at the hotel is really expensive :25€/day !). Nice bar. Corridor a bit trashy, look better on the photo than in the reallity. Room has a nice design but materials are a bit cheap and sound isolation could be better. No view for the rooms at the first floor.

• Stayed: November 2011