“Dissapointing”

Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam
Ranked #59 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The hotel and staff were lovely. I was there for a birthday weekend with my partner and they were kind enough to offer a free upgrade to a deluxe room and a complimentary drink at the bar during our stay . The tram from central station stops right outside the hotel. The dissapointing thing is we had booked a double bed however as lastminute are contracted for double or twin we were given two single beds pushed together causing quite an uncomfortable night sleep. Furthermore we were not advised of this apon check in. Whilst checking out I noticed another couple complaining about the same issue. Looks as though this could be a regular problem and id reccommended requesting a double upon booking and check once ur there as it isnt garenteed.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank TRU_REVUU
Claire C, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. Is is only through guest comments such as yours that we can constantly improve our service and standards. Double beds are a request, we have a certain amount of rooms with a double bed, please let us know in advance, we will try to accomodate the request as much as possible.
I do hope this will not deter you from visiting the Manor Hotel in the near future.
kind regards, Claire van Campen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,898)

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We've chosen to stay in this hotel because of its vicinity to the Hospital OLVG where a family member had to undergo surgery, so our stay was not really for fun. However, this beautiful building with a lot of history and personality of his own, the super comfy bed in a modern room, the superfriendly service from all the personel of the hotel and restaurant made our stay much better than we had expected. The "More than Welcome" slogan definitely applied to our stay. We will always choose this venue for future stays in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Our room faced the quiet garden on the back of the hotel. It was beautiful to let the sun in every m...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your visit to our hotel and ofcourse for leaving this pleasant review. We hope to welcome you again soon in better circumstances!

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay and would return again. Staff were friendly, professional and helpful and the room was clean. We asked for extra coffee a few times and more always appeared. Room rate was good, but 331 had no view to speak of. Any view at all would have earned the fifth star.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your visit to our hotel and ofcourse for leaving this pleasant review. We hope to welcome you again!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

My wife and I chose this hotel based on other reviews and location to the Train Station and the public transportation (Tram) directly in front of the hotel. Easy access to Dam Square and Centraal Station. Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. We were directly above the enterance and was concerned about street noise but were surprised that we never noticed and loud or annoying noises. The Blackout curtain was a plus to keep the light and sound to a minimum. The Staff were friendly and helpful. We were offered a discounted price if we purchsed breakfast at check in. We opted to purchase and we were pleased with the quality and choices. We ordered room service and our meal was excellent and well prepared and presentation was nice. We enjoyed our stay in this well maintained hotel and would recommend without hesitation to any looking for these qualities.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne I

Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. kind regards Claire van Campen

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend over New Year. The hotel is lovely and modern, the room was clean and the beds were comfy. Staff were polite but not very chatty. As soon as we arrived, we were asked to pay a city tax of €28 plus a deposit of €50. There are two lovely cafes just along from the hotel, Caffe Milo and Caffe Kuijper. On our first night we went for dinner at Caffe Milo, the food was delicious and drinks were so much cheaper than in the centre of Amsterdam. Both are lovely for breakfast too and much cheaper than the hotel. Would definitely recommend! We made the mistake of ordering breakfast at the Hotel and it was cold, very disappointing and €17 each! Not worth the money at all. There are several tram lines outside of the hotel, Tram 9 takes you straight to Dam Square and Centraal Station which was really handy. It was worth it being a little bit further out but it only takes 10 minutes on the tram until you're in the centre of Amsterdam.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Claire C, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - The Manor Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review. I'm very sorry to hear that your expectation didn't match the reality.
Sorry to read that the breakfast served was not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. With your input we can improve ourselves. I hope I may welcome you again so you can experience that we will do anything to give you a pleasant stay.

Could you contact me to discuss a proper solution for the caused inconvenience?

c.vancampen@hampshire-hotels.com

Reviewed 23 January 2014

really nice hotel. i loved the location and the building.
beautiful room and really kind people. never been to the internal restaurant but it seems a really good one. I recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

Thank you for your visit to our hotel and ofcourse for leaving this pleasant review. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I went there with my partner for a long week end and I took this hotel because it wasn’t in the centre, but it wasn’t so far, and it looked like a nice non-standard place.

I will start with the negative points:

First of all, the entrance: why there is a dressed table right in the entrance, which no one ever used? It’s just to say “hey, we have a restaurant”? I entered the hotel and I was already a little bit lost.

Then, the reception. I don’t know why you decided to have them like supermarket desks, but it’s a choice, and it doesn’t matter. But I had to wait, and too much, and then had a receptionist that wasn’t smiling at all … this is important for me, and it wasn’t a good start.

Property: the room was quite clean, except the fact that I found a hair in the bathroom wall near the toilet.. but the corridor to arrive in the room was terrible. Black stains everywhere, and not recent. I would heartily suggest to change the carpeting (also because the theme is awful).

In the end, the breakfast. Very well presented, large choice, ham, cheese, eggs, fruits but… 17euro?? Are you serious?? I had it once, then for 5euro I had every day a very good breakfast 50 metres from the hotel.

Positive points: very good position. There is a tram stop right in front of the hotel, and it goes directly to the centre. The bed is very comfy and the room is big enough…

Anyway, I would not suggest this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheBackpackGirl

Thank you for taking the time in wrting a review.I'm very sorry to hear that we did not meer your expectations.

Could you contact me to discuss a proper solution for the caused inconvenience?

c.vancampen@hampshire-hotels.com