“Best Hostel Ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cocomama
Dallas, TX
“Best Hostel Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hostel May 5-12. I had a wonderful time and was very sad to leave. The staff was awesome. They were always helpful, courteous and had a great attitude no matter what! They had organized events which was nice, although I never participated. This hostel was more pricey than most others but well worth the extra money. I enjoyed the common area in the kitchen which was great for meeting other guests if you wanted to. I recommend the Cheese Room, (4 person mixed) I had it the first 2 days of my stay and it was by far the best choice and I only wish I could have had it for the remainder of my stay. I would recommend this hostel very highly and I can't wait to go back, just to visit with the lovely ladies that were working there! It was very easy to get via tram from Central Station. The place was always clean. I used the laundry service which was very convenient! I can't say enough good things about this hostel. I feel the location was good and safe, which is important for me since I was traveling solo. I also recommend going for breakfast to the Pancake Carousel nearby. (Pancakes in Amsterdam are not what Americans call pancakes, they are Crepes!) There is also a grocery store near the hostel if you want to purchase items to cook. Someone Left a "bad" review below which was a shocker to me. I can only guess that they never stayed at a hostel before & did not know that people at all hostels come in all hours of the night, that is why you bring ear plugs! A hostel is not the same as a hotel, nor are the prices. This place is fantastic!

Room Tip: Cheese Room ( 4 person mixed)
1 Thank tammybeck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The first time i stayed in coco mama was last year on march and the experience we had was so wonderful! The staff is absolutely the most friendly, happy and willing to help at all times. The rooms are super comfortable. Excelent location! Also, the staff always prepares every day a new activity or surprise for the guests so they feel like in "a home away from home". I would like to add, that I got engaged in this hostel in our first visit and since it was such a marvelous place, we came back to celebrate our honeymoon. :). We definetely recommend it!!

• Stayed May 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Im not going to say it was a perfect stay- a few things went wrong but I ultimately the staff do everything they can to remedy issues and make guests happy. The facilities are great, WIFI right to top floor, common room with cooking facilities and free consumables like Pasta and oil etc, lovely garden. Organised Events are cool- staff always join in and some live in the hostel to so hang out with guests in the common room. Location is easy with a tram stop just down from hostel. Overall great hostel.

Room Tip: I was in traffic room 4 Person mixed- good as only one set of Bunks and 2 Singles.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

To start off, I have never written review before, but I had such an amazing experience at Cocomama that I decided I had to rave about it. I stayed here while on a grant trip through Holland. I have stayed at many hostels, and you never know quite what to expect. This hostel is clean, and has great facilities. It is in a very centrally located area. The rooms are beautiful, and the wi-fi flows freely (literally). While all the basic accommodations were great, far surpassing those of most hostels, the best part of my stay was the atmosphere. The hostel leaders were friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to offer any help or advice that they could. In addition, they plan activities like pub crawls and tours of the red light district, so that people travelling alone (like I was) can get together. This is a safe hostel offering a unique and wonderful experience! Totally worth the money! I would urge anyone considering a hostel (or even a hotel) in Amsterdam to look no further!

Room Tip: The private room is nice. A bit pricier, but it has its own private bathroom and is right next to th...
1 Thank icl2
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

On the positive side, it was clean, the beds were comfortable, and you can pretty much live off of the free pasta/leftovers people leave in the fridge. On the negative side, the rooms are not very sound-proof and the halls are resonant so you could hear drunk people coming home at all hours of the night, they have a cat they don't mention in the booking which was a problem from an allergy standpoint, and the beds were extremely creaky. Overall it wasn't bad and it's pretty perfect for the college-student population.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear guest,

We are sorry to read you were disappointed with your stay. Our cat's presence is very clearly announced on our website and booking websites. Beside that, he is not allowed in guest rooms, he mostly sleeps in a corner of our living room and we offer allergy pills free of charge to anyone with allergies.
As for the noise, this is not a complaint we receive frequently but we wil happily investigate and include your comments in our next refurbishment plans.
We are curious how you came to give us a 2 star "poor" review when the conclusion of your review is "not bad, and actually pretty perfect for a college student".
We hope you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam regardless of the noise and cat allergies.
Kind regards,

Lotje H. & team Cocomama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Made to feel very welcome on arrival and throughout the stay by the staff. Good communal area, free coffee & tea available. We stayed in the Tulip room which was very comfortable and well equipped including Bluetooth speakers. Only downside is that it was at the front, on the street so a bit noisy with people outside in the early hours and the roadworks starting at 7am. Overall though great stay!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Simply the best hostel I have ever stayed in, yes its more expensive than most hostels but it is totally worth it.

Staff are fantastic always happy to help, Nicky, Moo and all the others

Beds are comfy, rooms are clean with a great common room and garden.

Stay here you wont regret it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo