“Nice enough.”

Cocomama
Cairns, Australia
“Nice enough.”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After reading all the glowing reviews of Cocomama and seeing the awards it had received, I booked it expecting it to blow my mind. It...kind of didn't, but I didn't have an overly unpleasant stay. These are my thoughts:

GOOD:

- THE LOCATION: it's pretty much right outside a tram station, on the line that connects you directly with Amsterdam Centraal station. Very handy! The area is also fairly quiet and I found it rather picturesque. Very good.
- THE SERVICE: The two staff members whom I had the most contact with (I can't remember their names, but they were a perky Australian girl who worked the desk and a Canadian girl who took us on the Sex Show tour - they were both awesome!) were great and went out of their way to help me when I had any questions. The Aussie girl also gave me an awesome run-down of the city + a free map when I checked in, which I really appreciated. I also had a really good night during the 'Sex Show' tour, and the Canadian girl walked me back to the hostel! So that was excellent - full points to those two staff members (whose names I really really wish I could remember, sorry!!)
- THE WIFI - worked well, I had no issues.

BAD:

- THE ROOM: I was on the top bunk in the 'traffic' room, and from the second I walked in I was rather underwhelmed; two of the beds were just mattresses on the floor, and the bunk itself was very creaky. I wouldn't find that overly out of place in a regular hostel, but the fact that Cocomama touted itself as a 'boutique' hostel made my expectations somewhat higher...that, and I expected the price I was paying to reflect that.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Cocomama and found it pleasant enough. I'd recommend it for the location alone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear guest,

thank you for leaving us a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, albeit not to the standard we aim for. Sadly right before your stay one of the beds in your room was broken so as an emergency solution we used two box springs with mattresses (not just mattresses on the floor!) while awaiting the delivery of new bunk beds. Both the box spring and the creaky bunk bed are now replaced by new bunk beds with new mattresses.
We wish you safe travels and look forward to having you back!

Warm regards,

Lotje & team Cocomama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Great experience and I had real good times there. Clean, safe and staff are very helpful. The only thing you need is a padlock to put in your locker (but they are sold for 4€). Excellent localization, it's about 20 min walking from Centraal State.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

They have a bad bedbug infestation. Enjoy getting bit if you decide to stay at Cocomama. The worst part is the attitude I received when I informed the staff of the bedbugs. Totally unprofessional!

Besides the bedbugs, the rooms were dirty and the service was below average.

I would recommend staying at the Flying Pig or another hostel in Amsterdam.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Amy G
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear guest, we are very sorry to hear you were affected by bedbugs during your stay at Cocomama. We take bedbug complaints very seriously and had the room treated the same day we received your email. We also removed all furniture and now have new beds and mattresses in this room, and are glad to report the room is 100% bed bug free.
We are confused by your comments about how we handled your complaint. You did not notify us until after your departure, and we replied to your email with apologies and sent you a refund.

Kind regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was our first visit to Amsterdam and by and large we were happy with most things at Cocomama. Upon check-in we received a comprehensive run-down of the hostel and the city, which included a map and some places worth visiting. We really can't fault the enthusiasm of the staff. They're all super friendly and go out of their way to help you, especially Nicole.

The best thing about Cocomama was the other travelers we met and hung out with. It's by far the most communal hostel we've stayed at. People just seem to talk to each other more here, and that's largely due to the many group events and the staff who encourage people to get involved.

Now the not so great... When we checked in on the Sunday, we were told we'd have to move to a different room on the Thursday. Okay - not ideal but it's a hostel so we can live with that. But on the Wednesday evening we arrived back and were told we needed to move that night and by the way our possessions had been bundled up and relocated to our new beds, without us being told. How about a quick phone call to apologise for bumping us early and to ask if we mind our staff being moved while we're out? Not impressed.

Finally, we found it strange that the staff meetings were held in the common room, where the guests hang out. While there obviously weren't many large areas suitable for meetings, do you think travellers need to hear about guests disputing payment, unfair reviews and why one staff member left for another job? Guys, family business should stay in-house.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you for leaving us a review. We are sorry about our staff informing you with the wrong date of changing rooms. It is not our policy to pack guests’ belongings and moving them without their presence or prior approval and we apologise for the inconvenience. We tried to call you but were not able to reach you.
As for our staff meeting, you are correct - we do not have any other large enough space to have these. We will check with any guests present if they mind us having our meeting in the same space next time, but we just feel we have nothing to hide from our guests and like to keep things open and transparent.
We will keep your comments in mind when planning our next staff meeting and see if we can come up with a better solution.

Best wishes,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

When I read the reviews of this hostel, I was really excited! Seem to be really fancy, really boutique. I went to Amsterdam many many times and went to many hostels, all of them were fun or OK but this one seemed to be great.

But it actually was not. It is sold as "The first boutique hotel" but no... It has nothing of boutique. Its just decorated kind of nice (only the common area is) and has a great beautiful garden where you can't smoke weed which is legal in Amsterdam and nothing could be more glorious than smoking in the beautiful garden rather than the smoky and packed coffeshops. So it is like "OH enjoy the garden! But yeah, you can't smoke".

It doesn't have breakfast, which OK you know it doesn't because you read it before but really? A boutique hotel without breakfast? ALL the other hostels I went for less price had a nice breakfast.

Then the room. We got there and went up the room. All the beds were taken. The staff is REALLY nice so the lady fixed that but still not a good experience. The room was tiny tiny tiny the 6 beds packed no room to move, horribly decorated with a Red Light District theme but all it had was a board with sex ads and some weird red plushy cloth hanged from the beds. EW - gross.

As you can see this all made me very mad...Its ok if people say its a normal hostel (because thats what it is) I just don't see why it gets inflated in price and reputation. You'll pay less, have more room, have more fun and have breakfast in the Flying Pig in Vondelpark. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Just don't choose any room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paula D
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest,

We are very sad to learn your stay with us did not live up to expectations.

Maybe our definition of a boutique hostel differs (note: we never claim to be a boutique hotel). In our view a boutique hostel is a place with themed rooms, personalised map tour we give our guests at check in, daily events our staff organise, custom designed beds with huge comfortable hotel mattresses and feather duvets, beds already made up when you arrive, clean new private bathrooms in every room, small dorms for 4 or 6 people, private rooms for couples, real art, local knowledge and help with making your trip in Amsterdam memorable, free pasta, rice, cornflakes, coffee and tea in the kitchen and cheap bike rental among many other small touches.

Smoking weed is not legal in Amsterdam despite what many people might think. You may purchase and consume weed in coffee shops and in your private home, however smoking on the street, parks or residential gardens is not allowed.

We aim for every guest to have a great experience staying with us and it saddens us we were not successful in doing this for you. It seems you are more mad at the hundreds of great reviews we have received than your actual experience, and all that is left to say is we wish you a great time staying at another hostel next time, we tried our best but maybe Cocomama just isn’t your cup of tea.

Best wishes,

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hostel May 5-12. I had a wonderful time and was very sad to leave. The staff was awesome. They were always helpful, courteous and had a great attitude no matter what! They had organized events which was nice, although I never participated. This hostel was more pricey than most others but well worth the extra money. I enjoyed the common area in the kitchen which was great for meeting other guests if you wanted to. I recommend the Cheese Room, (4 person mixed) I had it the first 2 days of my stay and it was by far the best choice and I only wish I could have had it for the remainder of my stay. I would recommend this hostel very highly and I can't wait to go back, just to visit with the lovely ladies that were working there! It was very easy to get via tram from Central Station. The place was always clean. I used the laundry service which was very convenient! I can't say enough good things about this hostel. I feel the location was good and safe, which is important for me since I was traveling solo. I also recommend going for breakfast to the Pancake Carousel nearby. (Pancakes in Amsterdam are not what Americans call pancakes, they are Crepes!) There is also a grocery store near the hostel if you want to purchase items to cook. Someone Left a "bad" review below which was a shocker to me. I can only guess that they never stayed at a hostel before & did not know that people at all hostels come in all hours of the night, that is why you bring ear plugs! A hostel is not the same as a hotel, nor are the prices. This place is fantastic!

Room Tip: Cheese Room ( 4 person mixed)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tammybeck
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The first time i stayed in coco mama was last year on march and the experience we had was so wonderful! The staff is absolutely the most friendly, happy and willing to help at all times. The rooms are super comfortable. Excelent location! Also, the staff always prepares every day a new activity or surprise for the guests so they feel like in "a home away from home". I would like to add, that I got engaged in this hostel in our first visit and since it was such a marvelous place, we came back to celebrate our honeymoon. :). We definetely recommend it!!

• Stayed May 2014