After reading all the glowing reviews of Cocomama and seeing the awards it had received, I booked it expecting it to blow my mind. It...kind of didn't, but I didn't have an overly unpleasant stay. These are my thoughts:
- THE LOCATION: it's pretty much right outside a tram station, on the line that connects you directly with Amsterdam Centraal station. Very handy! The area is also fairly quiet and I found it rather picturesque. Very good.
- THE SERVICE: The two staff members whom I had the most contact with (I can't remember their names, but they were a perky Australian girl who worked the desk and a Canadian girl who took us on the Sex Show tour - they were both awesome!) were great and went out of their way to help me when I had any questions. The Aussie girl also gave me an awesome run-down of the city + a free map when I checked in, which I really appreciated. I also had a really good night during the 'Sex Show' tour, and the Canadian girl walked me back to the hostel! So that was excellent - full points to those two staff members (whose names I really really wish I could remember, sorry!!)
- THE WIFI - worked well, I had no issues.
- THE ROOM: I was on the top bunk in the 'traffic' room, and from the second I walked in I was rather underwhelmed; two of the beds were just mattresses on the floor, and the bunk itself was very creaky. I wouldn't find that overly out of place in a regular hostel, but the fact that Cocomama touted itself as a 'boutique' hostel made my expectations somewhat higher...that, and I expected the price I was paying to reflect that.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Cocomama and found it pleasant enough. I'd recommend it for the location alone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cocomama offers the best of both worlds in a super central location in Amsterdam. The luxury and comfort of a hotel and the atmosphere (and budget) of a hostel. The rooms are all Holland themed and range from private doubles to 6-bed dorms (and everything in between). You might share a bathroom in some of the dorms, but those luxurious mattresses and feather duvets are everywhere. Even more importantly, at MAMA, you're not on your own. Travel stories are shared, as is the dinner table. It's a place where you'll make friends and hang out with other international trotters alike in the private garden, living room, cinema, or cook dinner in the fully-equipped kitchen (perfect to keep costs down). And if that doesn't keep you busy enough, the staff organises tons of activities, and Joop (the adorable house cat, a.k.a. man of the house), is there to get cuddled 24/7 too. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld and Agoda so you can book your Cocomama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocomama Hotel Amsterdam