“Great Service & Clean”
Review of Cocomama

Cocomama
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Every Staff member at Cocomama was welcoming and very professional. It was my first Hostel Experience, I normally stay at full service hotels. When I checked in they gave me history of the establishment, a map, and walked me through the various points of interest. The room slept 6 with a bathroom, all of the guest were friendly, fun, respectful. There is a great lounge and nice back yard. Cocomama promotes an environment of community as they try to have special events every night and all of the guests are invited, from night tours of the area to clubs. The price was fine, the place was very clean and walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank James M

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Great Hostel, friendly knowledgable staff and brilliant themed rooms. Cocomama is located away from a lot of the other hostels but I loved walking back along the canals in the evening and everything is Amsterdam is walking distance. There is a market nearby along with the museums and the kitchen is well equipped. Also the hostel has a cat who is wonderfully unfriendly and made me a little less homesick for my own pets. I stayed in the cheese room and because of this ended up visiting a cheese tasting one day to see what all the cheese stuff was about. Turned out to be a highlight of my trip. I recommend seeing the city on a bike which you can hire from the front desk. My room was clean and the bathroom was the best I've seen in a hostel. Staying in an old brothel in Amsterdam is a brilliant story that everyone will want to hear about when you get home, but you'll be too busy planning your next trip back there to tell it in full.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Forget about the Rijksmuseum or the Jordaan... they are great and lovely, but the main reason I would return to Amsterdam is to stay at Cocomama again!

Despite the dashing reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect...after all, it was going to be my first hostel experience. What did I find, you may ask?
1) The best staff I have ever encountered, boys and girls who go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and solve any tiny or big problem you may have.
2) A super cozy kitchen/living room which turned into an incredibly social place. As Cocomama isn't a huge 500-bed hostel, you got to meet most guests, who always had a story to tell or a place to go to. If you need to save a few bucks, the kitchen is fully equiped and free pasta and coffee is provided. The "honesty bar" is also a great idea and, in some way, embodies the spirit of the place.
3) An event organised by the staff every single night. It could be from pasta night to a pub crawl. It is a great opportunity for solo travellers to meet other guests and have fun.
4) I stayed at a 6-bed dorm and it was clean and functional. Many lockers inside the room (bring a big padlock or buy one at reception) and plugs by each bed. The ensuite bathroom was also spotless clean. The beds are very comfortable and as this is not a party hostel, you can get a good night sleep (no smoking allowed inside, which is a plus for me)
5) Bike rentals for only 5 euros (less than half the price anywhere else). You are in Amsterdam, so you must rent a bike!

Overall: Thank you, Cocomama staff! I had a blast and met a lot of great people! The only bad thing is, well, leaving. Some reviewer said this previously: from now on, you will compare every other hostel/hotel to Cocomama and they will never be that great!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dominique0810
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'm feeling very nostalgic writing this review, I had a great time in Amsterdam, Cocomama had a lot to do with it.
The location is very central, yet far from the madness of the RLD.
Any hostel is about a bed to sleep on at night, a clean bathroom, a cool group of people, this hostel has all of that and more.
The staff is very nice and helpful, I still owe Nicole about 3 Euros for a tram ticket because I didn't have any change on me at that moment.
The hostel is very social, and all the organised activities help to create this friendly social environment, the sex tour is not to be missed.
The only negative experience I had there was on the last night for me there one of the guys in the room came back from the pub crawl with a girl, thank god they didn't have sex when I was in the room, but the heaviness of her presence was felt, I'm not sure what is the hostel's policy when it comes to bringing strangers to the dorm rooms, and if there is no such policy, it should be developed.

Room Tip: I slept in the 4 beds dorm, the only negative thing about it, it was close to the reception, so it c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After reading all the glowing reviews of Cocomama and seeing the awards it had received, I booked it expecting it to blow my mind. It...kind of didn't, but I didn't have an overly unpleasant stay. These are my thoughts:

GOOD:

- THE LOCATION: it's pretty much right outside a tram station, on the line that connects you directly with Amsterdam Centraal station. Very handy! The area is also fairly quiet and I found it rather picturesque. Very good.
- THE SERVICE: The two staff members whom I had the most contact with (I can't remember their names, but they were a perky Australian girl who worked the desk and a Canadian girl who took us on the Sex Show tour - they were both awesome!) were great and went out of their way to help me when I had any questions. The Aussie girl also gave me an awesome run-down of the city + a free map when I checked in, which I really appreciated. I also had a really good night during the 'Sex Show' tour, and the Canadian girl walked me back to the hostel! So that was excellent - full points to those two staff members (whose names I really really wish I could remember, sorry!!)
- THE WIFI - worked well, I had no issues.

BAD:

- THE ROOM: I was on the top bunk in the 'traffic' room, and from the second I walked in I was rather underwhelmed; two of the beds were just mattresses on the floor, and the bunk itself was very creaky. I wouldn't find that overly out of place in a regular hostel, but the fact that Cocomama touted itself as a 'boutique' hostel made my expectations somewhat higher...that, and I expected the price I was paying to reflect that.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Cocomama and found it pleasant enough. I'd recommend it for the location alone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear guest,

thank you for leaving us a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, albeit not to the standard we aim for. Sadly right before your stay one of the beds in your room was broken so as an emergency solution we used two box springs with mattresses (not just mattresses on the floor!) while awaiting the delivery of new bunk beds. Both the box spring and the creaky bunk bed are now replaced by new bunk beds with new mattresses.
We wish you safe travels and look forward to having you back!

Warm regards,

Lotje & team Cocomama

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Great experience and I had real good times there. Clean, safe and staff are very helpful. The only thing you need is a padlock to put in your locker (but they are sold for 4€). Excellent localization, it's about 20 min walking from Centraal State.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

They have a bad bedbug infestation. Enjoy getting bit if you decide to stay at Cocomama. The worst part is the attitude I received when I informed the staff of the bedbugs. Totally unprofessional!

Besides the bedbugs, the rooms were dirty and the service was below average.

I would recommend staying at the Flying Pig or another hostel in Amsterdam.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Amy G
Lotje H, Owner at Cocomama, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear guest, we are very sorry to hear you were affected by bedbugs during your stay at Cocomama. We take bedbug complaints very seriously and had the room treated the same day we received your email. We also removed all furniture and now have new beds and mattresses in this room, and are glad to report the room is 100% bed bug free.
We are confused by your comments about how we handled your complaint. You did not notify us until after your departure, and we replied to your email with apologies and sent you a refund.

Kind regards,