“Great Hostel - Good alternative for a last minute booking”
Review of Cocomama

Cocomama
Los Angeles, California
“Great Hostel - Good alternative for a last minute booking”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The hostel is a little outside the city center, but the city center is easily accessible by tram or subway. The guests at the hostel seemed to be younger (mostly people in their 20's). The staff were really nice and helpful. I would highly recommend renting a bike from the hostel because it's cheaper to rent one at the hostel then to go to a bike shop. The 6 bedroom dorm I stayed in was a bit outdated but clean. There was a nice kitchen and common room where there was always people chilling. The hostel was right near a good grocery store. It wasn't noisy at night and I slept well.

Room Tip: Rent bikes at the hostel and save lots of money. The hostel is the cheapest place to rent a bike.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I don't know what was going on in Amsterdam when we stayed but the hotel prices were through the roof! We weren't staying on a weekend either... This was recommended by a friend and somehow they got a really good deal compared to ours. So besides the price, the private room we had was on the bottom floor and smelled a little mildewy or damp or something. This room, the 'tulip room' was just alright. The bathroom fixtures seemed to be newer but the room itself seemed to be quite unkept. I didn't fit in the bed very well at 6'2" and the outside talking/smoking/chatter and door opening and closing was quite annoying. On the other hand, my girlfriend said the bed was amazing and she slept well every night. Besides the price and mediocre room, the service and attitude were superb. Every employee seemed to enjoy their work and made it a point to be friendly and informative. The community area was friendly and cozy and I loved the trust system for food and sodas and shared fridge. It reminded me of my favorite hiking hostels along the Appalachian Trail. The location was great for me as I didn't want to be right next to downtown. I highly recommend renting a bicycle and riding through downtown and to the Rijksmuseum and looking for parakeets along the canals. We were a few minute walk from a big grocery store which saved us a lot of cash in Amsterdam. Staff is great, I hear the prices are great for the hostel, we just must have come at a super busy time. Thanks again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my first hostel experience and (like others have said) they have set the bar pretty high! From Amsterdam central, the hostel was very easy to find. Once there, I was welcomed with a smile and given plenty of info about where to go, what to do and what not to do as well. Within walking distance to the Heineken Experience and Leidseplein (pubs, restaurants, coffe shops etc). Best part about the hostel are the staff! They are always willing to help with any plans and there to chat. If there was a negative, it would be the cramped bathroom but being that it's Europe, what do you expect. I would definitely recommend staying here and I myself would stay here again. Thanks for everything Cocomama!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bob H
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Cannot recommend Cocomama enough. We stayed at hostels all over europe and Cocomama was definitely the best. The team there are amazing and create such a good family feel. In most hostels, i tend to avoid the communal areas but at Cocomama we were in the communal living area more than we were in our private room (which was gorgeous). We met tons of cool people, and made the most of the organised activities and super cheap bike rental. Its not super central but the tram stop is at the front door and it's so easy to get around. Mellow Yellow around the corner is one of the best cafes in A'dam. Will definitely definitely be back

Room Tip: The forest room is super cool. Bit noisy as it is on the bottom floor near the reception and you can...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bianca J
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Every Staff member at Cocomama was welcoming and very professional. It was my first Hostel Experience, I normally stay at full service hotels. When I checked in they gave me history of the establishment, a map, and walked me through the various points of interest. The room slept 6 with a bathroom, all of the guest were friendly, fun, respectful. There is a great lounge and nice back yard. Cocomama promotes an environment of community as they try to have special events every night and all of the guests are invited, from night tours of the area to clubs. The price was fine, the place was very clean and walking distance to everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank James M
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Great Hostel, friendly knowledgable staff and brilliant themed rooms. Cocomama is located away from a lot of the other hostels but I loved walking back along the canals in the evening and everything is Amsterdam is walking distance. There is a market nearby along with the museums and the kitchen is well equipped. Also the hostel has a cat who is wonderfully unfriendly and made me a little less homesick for my own pets. I stayed in the cheese room and because of this ended up visiting a cheese tasting one day to see what all the cheese stuff was about. Turned out to be a highlight of my trip. I recommend seeing the city on a bike which you can hire from the front desk. My room was clean and the bathroom was the best I've seen in a hostel. Staying in an old brothel in Amsterdam is a brilliant story that everyone will want to hear about when you get home, but you'll be too busy planning your next trip back there to tell it in full.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Forget about the Rijksmuseum or the Jordaan... they are great and lovely, but the main reason I would return to Amsterdam is to stay at Cocomama again!

Despite the dashing reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect...after all, it was going to be my first hostel experience. What did I find, you may ask?
1) The best staff I have ever encountered, boys and girls who go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and solve any tiny or big problem you may have.
2) A super cozy kitchen/living room which turned into an incredibly social place. As Cocomama isn't a huge 500-bed hostel, you got to meet most guests, who always had a story to tell or a place to go to. If you need to save a few bucks, the kitchen is fully equiped and free pasta and coffee is provided. The "honesty bar" is also a great idea and, in some way, embodies the spirit of the place.
3) An event organised by the staff every single night. It could be from pasta night to a pub crawl. It is a great opportunity for solo travellers to meet other guests and have fun.
4) I stayed at a 6-bed dorm and it was clean and functional. Many lockers inside the room (bring a big padlock or buy one at reception) and plugs by each bed. The ensuite bathroom was also spotless clean. The beds are very comfortable and as this is not a party hostel, you can get a good night sleep (no smoking allowed inside, which is a plus for me)
5) Bike rentals for only 5 euros (less than half the price anywhere else). You are in Amsterdam, so you must rent a bike!

Overall: Thank you, Cocomama staff! I had a blast and met a lot of great people! The only bad thing is, well, leaving. Some reviewer said this previously: from now on, you will compare every other hostel/hotel to Cocomama and they will never be that great!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo