“i give it 3 stars”
Review of Amistad Hotel

Amistad Hotel
Reviewed 4 December 2013

booked it as a last minute resort and was very surprised that it's only a 2 star. explanation is simple: no elevator. room was cosy with everything inside including coffee, safe, minibar and desktop pc. stairs are steep. breakfast was excellent. staff was a very nice person that is off at 1800 and leave you the front door key. notice however that due to construction (nov-13) the near by tram line was shut and there is 15min walk to the closest tram station.

Room Tip: steep stairs, go for 1st floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Overall excellent. There were things about the trip that surprised me, but Joost and Mike do everything within their power to make your stay pleasant. One of the surprises was the absolute lack of any interaction between the guests at breakfast, which is served in a common room. I was hoping for some conversation, but alas... This was nobody's fault, though. Joost and Mike aren't Julie from The Love Boat. They're not there to entertain you. And when I thought about it, a lot of the guests are speaking different languages. So after a few days I just slept in and went to breakfast when no one else was there. I had very pleasant conversations with both J & M. The breakfast was good. Very standard fare, but in their defense, Mike did ask me specifically if there was anything I wanted for breakfast, since I was staying for 7 days. I declined, but hey, he offered. And Joost made an apple pie on Sunday that no one even tried, so I'm sure they get tired of putting in extra effort for no reason. This hotel caters to a gay clientele, so imagine the attitude they must encounter at times. It would try the patience of a saint.

At the suggestion of other reviewers, I got the room with bath on the ground floor. I have no idea what the other rooms look like, but for a European hotel room, it was large. One bed (I think it was a queen), a computer (which I didn't use), a safe (which I did), a private balcony for smoking (tobacco or weed), nice bathroom with a shower and tub (which I was told was unheard of for Amsterdam). The best part, though, is that this is one of Amsterdam's "hidden rooms." It's tucked away underneath the stairs, and if they would put a bookcase in front of the door, you would never know it's there. It's a place you could hide someone, ala Anne Frank. I thought it was very cool. Sheets and towels were both nice. The room is super quiet. They cleaned every day around the same time. Free wifi in the room, which was serviceable. Don't expect to do any heavy downloading.

The location is near the Leidseplein, which puts it within walking distance of the old center. Everyone walks or bikes, but there is also a tram stop within steps of the hotel. I bought a tram pass for the week (32 euros) and used it all the time. Don't underestimate the power of the tram.

I was surprised that the price they quoted me when I made the reservation was not all-inclusive. When you get there, they add a substantial city tax. The difference in what they quoted me and what I paid was 68 euros, or almost 100 USD. Nothing in their confirmation email mentions the tax. I prefer quoted prices to be "loaded", with all taxes, fees, etc. Maybe that's just me.

Room Tip: If you have the money, go for the room with bath on the ground floor.
Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BradBoney
Reviewed 28 November 2013

As other reviewers have confirmed, the location is great. In a busy shopping area but away from the trashy part of the city (which is towards the station).

I would class it as a guest house/b&b rather than a "hotel". The guest room we stayed in felt very much like somebody's private bedroom rather than a hotel room. That may appeal some people more than it did us.

The owner and manager have superb customer service skills. Warm, friendly and helpful.

Our only criticism is the horrendously noisy plumbing in the guest room that we stayed in (4). On the first morning we were woken up about 7am thinking there was a pneumatic drill outside. On the second morning we realised it was the water pipes in the wall. I am not sure if this problem related to this room only so it may be worth requesting a room without this problem. Apart from this, the guest house is quiet despite the busy location.

As a matter of interest even though this is one of the city's longest established "gay hotel's" we found the majority of guests appeared to be straight couples on the weekend we stayed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with quiet plumbing!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank a m
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I go to Amsterdam every year for business and this is one of the best experience I had in the city. When I arrived, I found my name with a big Welcome on the main door. The bell is directly connected to owner. Immediately the owner arrives with a big smile and positive energy to take us in. He helps me take my bags in the room. The room is the biggest room I have ever had in Amsterdam. Clean, very well equipped and with a good minibar, TV, coffee machine, hair drier, computer, safety box...etc. My room was on a little street, very nice to wake up and start enjoying the city and get the sun light in. Also bed was very very big and comfortable! Best part of our stay at Amistad was breakfast which is SERVED till late! You sit down and they just take very good care of you, with coffee, toasts, eggs, juices...very enjoyable. A coffee shop is right in front of the hotel if you like and you have easy access to a very good shopping area. Hotel is definitively gay friendly. You can tell from the care of details, cool look of the rooms and excellent service...from beginning to the end. I recommend this hotel even to very demanding business travelers who also need to relax!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I can't recommend this hotel enough, the staff were wonderful, the breakfast set up was great, our room was spacious and clean. Great location, computer in room and would stay there again for sure!!! A+

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The rooms are quite small. That might be okay but especially the doors are very bad insulated. So, if somebody is walking along the corridor the stairs or entering the room beside your room it's like somebody is walking directly through your bed. In conclusion I woke up every night several times because somebody was entering the neighbor's room.
Clearness of the floor could be better.
Breakfast was quite cheap supermarket quality: no fresh breakfast rolls no croissant. The omelette were really tasty. The service quality was very much dependent of the guy who was in charge and his mood.
So, to come to a conclusion: Amsterdam has very outrageous hotel prices. But 188 € was to much for a small and loud hotel room together with a lousy breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank WrongPlanet
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Starting from the location (Leidsplain) where shopping,restaurants,Cafes,Museums,Night life and more is only a few steps away! not to mention public transport (Trams & buses) only a few feet away.

the hotel is a cozy small and very friendly Gay and straight friendly with Amazing and lovely Staff starting with the owner Joost and the Manager Mike & the Lovely Dikky who are so happy to help and serve in anyway.

The rooms are lovely with free wifi,small fridge,DVD player and flat TV with international and local channels,tea & coffee and a PC to use (in case you forgot ur laptop or iPad)

the best part for me is breakfast were it is served on a huge table were you can meet all the guests and enjoy a lovely chat or share tips about where to go and what to do.

I have been staying in this hotel since 2009 and would never stay anywhere else anytime am in Amsterdam (I visit almost 4 times a year and have been in so many hotels)

• Stayed: June 2013