“Not clean, Overpriced, stay away.”

Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo
Ranked #194 of 229 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Denver
“Not clean, Overpriced, stay away.”
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I had made a mistake with booking this hostel and they wouldn't let me fix it. Ended up charging me for 2 people instead of 1.

The room was smell, dirty, moldy, and overall just not clean in any capacity. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank joesmoe00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Aside from the fact that the hotel rooms and bathrooms were incredibly dirty and small the staff is by far the weakest point. We did not even stay a night before we decided to move elsewhere. I was traveling with a group of friends and from the very beginning the manager tried to squeeze every dime out of us. He tried to charge us additional fees on top of what we already had paid for with our credit cards. Before all of us reached the hotel he managed to get 100 euro in cash from my friend claiming it was a "deposit," which he later never returned.

We modified our trip to 2 nights instead of 3 well in advance and he refused to accept that. Instead he charged us for the night we didn't stay anyway and was incredibly rude. So rude that while we tried to resolve the matter, he gave our group the silent treatment. Not exactly what you expect from a grown man let alone a hotel MANAGER. Upon further investigation regarding the charges we faced, he provided false receipts and when we called him out on it he simply hid the receipt and refused to show it to us again. He also did not return the deposit for the key (10 euro). There was nothing we could do, even his colleague who agreed with us said his hands were tied. He said "there is no convincing this man." We called our credit card company to report this hotel, so heed my warning, STAY AWAY!

We were robbed of a day, over 100 euros, we were treated very poorly but thankfully there were other hostels in the area. Even the managers of those hostels know of Hotel Orfeo's miserable reputation. Budget travelers and hostels go hand in hand and the fact that this place tries to take advantage of that is truly pathetic.

STAY AWAY, PLENTY OF OTHER OPTIONS NEARBY...JUST ASK AROUND!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Akash K

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed 16 September 2011

As everyone has said good location
But a poor hostel. I can't bring myself to call it a hotel. Rooms are tiny, reasonably clean on inside. Difficult to get bags up stairs.

Biggest issue is that there is only ONE shower and toilet for a whole floor. So queuing is necessary. It really does not work.

You would be better to stay at Hans brinkler because at least you have access to bathrooms there.

I wouldn't think it is good value for money

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Mj252
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

DO NOT GO HERE!

1 star is too many.

We arrived for a night's stay and were disgusted by overgrowing mould in the showers, cramped beds with no privacy (and audible bodily functions from the half-cleaned toilet nearby) and, the final unbearable insult to the considerable injury, were charged over double the written price for the stay. I was asked to pay 200 euros upfront for the stay, but when I checked the bill, the cost came to 91 euros. I challenged this and was refused the opportunity to speak to the management, and when I threatened to take this up with the police, the acting manager ripped up the receipt in front of me.

Though no one expects luxury from a hostel, this would be substandard from hygiene alone. However, with the frankly criminal nature of the staff, this is a destination to be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank outraged186338
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 August 2011

i stayed in a oublic 4 room dorm for the last week there, no problems at all! friendly staff and the best value i could find for a small dorm. really close to leidseplein square, good for partying and coming back after a night out :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
AmsterdamHostelOrfeo, Manager at Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Thnx!!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I spent last weekend in Amsterdam with a group of friends. Unfortunately we were not happy with the accommodation, although the location was good. I have stayed in hostels before but this was grim and so overpriced. We thought that the price would reflect the condition of the place. I'd be happy to pay the amount they charged but we were extremely disappointed.
Firstly they ask you to pay as soon as you arrive, cash only. Before you have even seen the room. There were 5 of us in one room but we had to pay for an extra person, since there were 6 beds. The room was so tiny, it was more suitable for 2 people. You couldn't move and it was so hot in the night with the lack of space.
The ceiling in the shower/toilet was covered in black mould and it smelt bad, the extractor fan was caked in dust and filthy.
There was a night club right below the bedroom we were sleeping in. We were kept awake until 4.30am with the noise.
The next morning I tried to talk to the manager and explain that we were not happy with the size and state of the room and the noise we had to put up with through the night. He wasn't interested that we were unhappy, all he was interested was being paid. We told him that we wanted to check out but he threatened to charge the credit card that paid the deposit for all of us since we had booked for two nights. Maybe we were stupid and should have checked out but we didn't want him to charge us. We also didn't want it to ruin our short stay in Amsterdam so we stayed for another night.
Again we were kept awake until 5am, this time :(
Overall we were very disappointed with the customer service and the condition of the place for the amount charged. I think we got completely ripped off at 75 euros per night. Oh also forgot to mention the extra 5%charge on our bill that wasn't clear on the website.
See the photos attached, I took them just as we were packing up and ready to leave.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Paderborn, Germany
Reviewed 29 July 2011

So you understand my viewpoint, I'm not a regular Hostel goer, but have stayed in a few around Europe. I've also stayed in Amsterdam several times although this was my first hostel there.
The location is excellent for the Leidesplein area, can't go wrong with that. Typical steep Amsterdam stairs, to be expected. We had four of us in a four man room, which was the length of two bunk beds plus the door and the width of two beds wide. Oh and it had a small sink. Not exactly spacious, you needed to get dressed in shifts it was that tight. Beds were not comfortable having thin tired mattresses and some supporting steel bars across them showed up the thin matresses. There were 4 or 5 rooms on our floor and only a single toilet and shower. So 3/4 of us didn't get showers on the day we left as it was kicking out time before most of us could get in it.
The reception was friendly enough, didn't try the brekkie as it ends a bit early. Starbucks, mcdonalds and loads of places to eat surround the hostel. They do sell drinks and bits n pieces in the hostel reception which was handy.
We paid €60 each per night over a weekend in July. For €240 per room per night I reckon we could have got a room in the ritz carlton or something, and have a couple sleep on the floor and sofa. Even so we had a great weekend, literally sleeping a few hours and then out again, thats as much time as we spent there.
No-one in my room had any bed bug issues like some others have reported. we did use sleeping bags though.

Room Tip: try not to be on the first floor as there didn't seem to be a shower or toilet on that floor, no...