“Don't go there!”

Ranked #192 of 226 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Noventa Padovana, Italy
“Don't go there!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We booked a room via Hostelbooker one month before our arrival and i payed 10% in advance . Then 2 days before they cancelled our booking because they were not able to use my credit card ( standard VISA, used worldwide , and with enough money on it)
I try in any way to ask them not to cancel the reservation, i propose to use other card, other payment methods, to pay cash at arrival and so on, but they only wanted to cancel the reservation (i suspect they found someone that payed more than us, so they prefer to change guests...)

At the end of the day, I payed 10% money for nothing, i had to search at the last second for anothe accomodation so i payed 4 times more.

Moreover they were extremely unprofessional and not kind in any way in all this situation

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pierema

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The hostel has a very good location, but average rooms. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Breakfasts are poor, but you can have coffee or tea during the daytime for free. There is free wi-fi, but poor connection in the hall, and not enough place for many people.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Well, I'm not sure where to begin with this one. I guess I could start by saying that the location was excellent; very, very good. However, that is the only positive thing worth mentioning: The rooms (or prison cells) smelt absolutely horrible. Our room (the beds and the sink) weren't clean and the room was very small. The mattresses were fine, though. There were two power sockets to share between the four of us, which proved to be an issue when it came to charging our stuff.

I had a shower, but that was the only one I had. Not very clean at all. My friend even came back into the room to grab his flip-flops as they were "desperately needed" in the shower. I stank pretty bad when I checked out, but had I showered again, I wouldn't have survived to come out at all. The bathroom and the shower were shared for the entire floor and were small and unclean. There wasn't even any soap or towel to clean and dry my hands with. I think this place should be expected as I believe it is unhealthy to stay here. It it is inspected, I wouldn't be surprised if it were shut down.

I wok up one morning to hear the guy at the front desk swearing unpleasantly at a guest. Not sure what the drama was all about, but not the kind of thing I expect to hear from the man on front desk. There was also a lot of noise outside of our room almost every night. The stairs are narrow and incredibly steep; I feel for the people who have to carry heavy suitcases to the top floor. I was told I couldn't use the washing machine in the kitchen, so I had to wash my clothes elsewhere and pay quite a bit of money to do so.

Breakfast was satisfactory and consisted of bread, jam, peanut butter, marmalade, coffee, and tea. It isn't bad, but it's nothing special. The guy on front desk wanted to charge us 1€ for a city map, which is rediculous. On that note, this is definitely not worth the price you pay; you pay a lot for what feels like not a lot.

I have travelled the world and stayed in many hostels and none have been as dirty or as unpleasant as this. If I am ever back in Amsterdam, I will be avoiding this place like the plague. You should, too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SPayan

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

If looking for a lively location in the heart of Amsterdam then this fits the bill. The price you pay is complete squalor. Photo is misleading it is of another street. Place is ill maintained and filthy. Breakfast is bread available to toast, tub of margarine, jam & tea or coffee. Would avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2013
Wales
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Only positive aspect to this hostel was the location.

Now for the downsides - Firstly we arrived to a very unfriendly grunt to say that we are early at to leave our bags at return at 1pm. This was ok but could of been explained better. Now, the room (prison cell) was far from comfortable - there was no space and if you have big bags you cannot move at all!

Shared toilet and shower - toilet was grim, very dirty and not very nice - refused to shower due to cleanliness.

Breakfast - if you count bread, hardly any butter and half a tub of jam next to a toaster, you will enjoy breakfast - otherwise, don't expect anything decent when your told 'breakfast is included'

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank WalesAdam_121
Angers, Pays de la Loire, France
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Hostel Orfeo offered comfortable beds (although the rooms were quite small) at a great price. The toilets and shower facilities were fine for the price. Free WiFi and breakfast was included. The hotel staff is VERY friendly and helpful. Great location, located right near a major tram stop.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street side are quieter because there is a bar next door to the hostel.