“The Place to Stay”
Review of Anco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anco Hotel
Ranked #180 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Vancouver, Canada
“The Place to Stay”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Excellent location, quality breakfast, fun and attentive staff. When my partner and myself return to Amsterdam we'll certainly be booking our shelves back into the Anco. The location doesn't get any better in Amsterdam for gay men looking for all the bars, clubs and restaurants. The owners and staff make you feel very welcome. It was our home in Amsterdam for 13 nights and we are very happy to have selected that hotel, - we'll be back!

Room Tip: The large room first floor at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brianrio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

When I first arrived I thought this hotel was very good. But after staying for one night this wasn't the case. First of all, it is very annoying that after 10pm the reception is closed and so to get out and in of the hotel you have to walk up 3 floors and then walk down 3 - ridiculous, especially if you've had a bit to drink. Then the breakfast is very average and limited not to mention the nasty concentrated orange juice. I only drink pure organic. It was also annoying I had to go to the floor above to use the bathroom which was a bit disgusting to be honest, definitely needs refurbishing. I also saw a mouse running in my room. Vile! However the location is very good and I did to be fair only pay €45 a night. It's also good you get new towels every day.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank mike h
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Before the Anco was taken over by new management I really looked forward to my trip to Amsterdam.
Anco was taken over recently. The staff and management shouldn't be anywhere near hospitality jobs.
They made me feel uncomfortable at every level.

There is a member of staff who abused me when I asked him to call me a Taxi to go back to the airport. The member of staff refused to make the call as "I wouldn't make any money in commission" Surely my hotel bill would of been enough. I suggest that since the change over I'd avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank Taz699572
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Do you want to meet friends without really knowing them in advance? Welcome to Anco Hotel!

The place where the staff are your unknown friends just waiting to get to know you. You have to understand the Dutch humor, and you have to have the same sense of humor yourself. If you do, you will feel most welcome and at home while staying at Anco Hotel. I took a bit of a chance. I placed two bookings for this hotel even before my first stay, but I only needed to spend one minute here to realize that I had made the right choice. The people here are friendly, the breakfast i great and the location is perfect. I arrived here on a friday and went out to the bars and clubs for the night, which made me sleep through the breakfast. When I got downstairs to have my morning cigarette, the staff looked at me like they were really offended askin "And where were you this morning? We missed you at the breakfast" followed by a great smile.

The rooms here are typical Amsterdam size. Not too large, but it was okay. Most rooms have shared toilet and shower in the hallway, which were kept clean all the time. Hotel staff knocks your door every evening asking if you need fresh towels. Breakfast is served from 9:00 - 11:30 and is included in the price. Free WiFi internet for all guests with good coverage and bandwidth. The rooms are equipped with a cable TV with several channels including two free adult tv channels. The only thing I missed during my stay was some ventilation. I stayed here for the hottest weekend ever recorded this year with approx. 34 degrees celsius at the hottest.

Getting here is easy. Looking at Google Maps can give an impression that getting here is hard because there are no metro or tram station nearby. That impression is very wrong. I took me not more than a five minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal to the hotel. Just follow Damrak south to Oudebrugsteeg. Then follow Oudebrugsteeg and cross Beursstraat and Warmoesstraat, and continue in the same direction until you hit the canal. Cross the bridge, take to your right, and you're there. Ten minutes walk stoned or drunk, five minutes walk sober :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Stian M
Bellshill, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Just back from a weekend in Amsterdam. Stayed in the ANCO hotel for the first time and its a great place to stay. Its right in the centre of the city, about 5 mins walk from Central Station. The rooms are very clean and the beds comfortable. Towels are change every day and breakfast is served until 11.30 if you fancy a long lye in.
The staff are all very helpful and couldn't do enough for you. The room rates are also very reasonable. Cant wait to go back !

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ronnie G
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This is a great place to stay for Gay Men. The staff are friendly the Breakfast is good and the rooms are clean. My room was small but I had a single so I knew what to expect on arrival. Same with steep staircases very common in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Tımothy B
Chicago
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I have stayed in hostels that are much better quality. Staff gave off a sense of indifference. Staff or friend of staff mocked my answers to their questions while smoking on the front porch. Rooms narrow and poor quality furniture. Very disturbing event one night when the fire alarms went off at 3 am due to someone apparently smoking in their room. On-site staff ferociously yelled at this person (room across the window from me) with a huge argument and threats to kick the person out on the street then and there, with very degrading language towards hotel guest. For the red light district the location felt safe. Shared bathroom smelled like mold and was minimal levels of clean. Should have been cheaper for this low quality.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo