“Good Hotel”
Review of Anco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anco Hotel
Ranked #181 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 December 2009

This hotel is right in the red light area so can be a bit noisy but has the advantage that everything is at your doorstep. The rooms are very basic but adequate - the all-day movies were a bonus! The stairs to the top floor were a killer but that is expected in Amsterdam. Breakfast was casual and filling, very pleasant. Staff were helpful but allowed you to have your privacy. If you are a light sleeper, take ear plugs or ask for a room at the back!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 October 2009

This hotel is perfect for singles or couples that need a simple crashpad from which to explore all that Amsterdam has to offer.

3 of 5 points

Bed: 0 points - The very soft foam mattress, along with hard wood boards underneath was very hard on my back. Single rooms provided only a small twin bed.

Bathroom: 1/2 point - Bathrooms and showers are shared on each floor with 3-4 other rooms. Still, the bathrooms are spacious, immaculately clean, and there's plenty of hot water. Also, each room comes with a sink en suite.

Service: 1 point - Simple but efficient. Free and consistent high speed wifi. The owner of this small hotel personally checks each person in and out. The daily breakfast (which is open until 11.30am) is delicious, and the owner will fry you an egg if you ask. I paid 65 Euro/night for a single. The owner upgraded me to a double for free because I was a return customer.

Location: 1 point - 5 minute walk from Central Station. Couldn't ask for better.

Environment: 1/2 point - The rooms are basic but comfortable. Hallways are narrow as are the staircases. It can be very noisy at night. Some rooms are a 3rd floor walk up. However, this 18th century Dutch is charming, and front rooms look out over a beautiful canal.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RowdyCub
Reviewed 20 October 2009

When I arrived at this hotel, I knocked on the door and said, "hello there , I have a reservation" . My reply in an very off handed and VERY unfriendly manner was "oh really " ! I thought it was a wind up ! The room was damp and the bed linen looked unclean and smelt very damp, ESPECIALLY the pillow case which smelt disgusting, damp and i'm POSITIVE it hadnt been changed since the last guest as I could smell an unclean odour on it ! So much that I didnt want to rest my head on it and had to spray it all over with deodrant ! The next day, I thought perhaps I was just unlucky with the male staff who was on duty (re: the most "unwelcome" welcome at a hoteI I have ever had after travelling the world, but to my surprise the person on breakfast duty was SO rude, ignorant and off hand, I thought it must be a set up and that jeremy beadle was going to jump out from behind me ! It was like I was being given the "silent" treatment and made to feel like I shouldnt be there ! (B.t.w. I am the most fiendly and polite person you could wish to meet I can assure you! ) APART from this, the location was perfect for the gay scene (2 mins walk) and amsterdam and the rest off the duch people were wonderful ! WHY OH WHY can a hotel like this not know that the fundamental basics are to show even just a LITTLE bit of good manners and be a little bit sociable to its paying guests ? After all they are PAYING to stay there !! Still full of disbelief !!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank james6969
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The Anco is a basic value gay tourist hotel. the location is excellent for the cruisy gay nighlife.

The room we stayed in was small, clean and basic with shared toilet and shower, which were kept clean and we never had to wait for. The room was to the front of hte building which overlooks the canal and a charming church with regular chimes which seem to stop after about 11pm. There was some street noise from hte bars across the canal.

The clientele seemed to be regular guests and were friendly enough at breakfast which was a perfectly adequate buffet affair which ran until 11.30.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Back from Amsterdam and had a great stay at the ANCO. If I go to Amsterdam i try to do a combination of night life and culture.
The reasons I stay at the ANCO:
1. It is the only GAY MEN Hotel left over in Amsterdam. The rest is gay friendly. For me it is important that I can be myself the way I am without any judgement etc. . If I meet someone I can take him back to the Hotel and there will be no one who asks questions ....
2. Staff is great, after being there several times they became friends ... They are helpfull. Because I am a regular guest they store some stuff for me what saves me a lot of weight while I travel.
3. The Hotel is basic, but the price is basic as well for Amsterdam standards. You can make your stay as expensive as you want. They have dormitories, single rooms, double rooms, all shared facilities and a studio with private facilities.
4. The breakfast buffet is good. They prepare eggs for you in the morning the way you prefer them.
5. The Hotel is in the middle of the Gay district with all the cruising bars so you only walk a few minutes back to the Hotel after being out.
6. It has a lot of regular guests what creates a family type of atmosphere with the same intersts..... If you stay in your room nothing will happen and you won't meet anyone from the Hotel.
7. The Hotel can be interesting late at night after being out, you don't know who you will meet. Met some interesting people.
8. They have a computer for internet use, free of charge.
There is also WIFI available for those who travel with there laptop.
9. Hotel is clean and well looked after.

Conclusion: ANCO Hotel is for what it is supposed to be (meeting gay men, cruisy, easy going etc.) a GREAT Hotel. It is men only, everyone man is welcome...... and you can be yourself ... ENJOY YOUR TIME IN AMSTERDAM.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TerjeOslo
Reviewed 24 November 2008

I wanted a single room but they were sold out. They offered me 2 nights in a dormitory type room with 4 other beds, in addition to a shared bathroom and shower etc... Although I admit I was a bit nervous about this, I decided it would be an adventure and a welcome break from the usual experience.

The hotel is in a perfect location, close to everything. You can crawl from the Warmoes leather bars if needed.
It was clean and very friendly. My roommates were very nice. A German, a Scot and a Brit. Although I did not see them much as we were all out on the town most of the time. There was never a wait for the bathrooms or showers and I felt comfortable. I was concerend about being able to clean up before a big night on the town, but there was no need to worry.

In the morning, Bill made me a breakfast omlette at the bar. Was very nice and much more than I expected for the price. They also had free wifi and even a computer to use.

The only issue I had was getting my luggage up and down the stairs early in the morning when the main corridor (bar) was closed, but I managed without waking up the entire building. But I recommend you plan ahead if you have lots of luggage or checkout at a normal hour when they are open.

Bottomline. It is what you make it. If the Warmoes leather bars are your scene, you are friendly, social and you are not a prissy queen. You will find this hotel to be a great bargain and a fun experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Nutzwet
Reviewed 29 March 2008

Good hotel with reasonable prices... for gay lads, leathermen and skinheads... friendly, comfortable atmosphere. Central location is great if you're heading out for the night to the nearby leather clubs. Shared facilities, plenty hot water and clean, a bit dated but does the job. Didn't try breakfast though it looked fine to start your day.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family