“A flavour of the Artist”

Museum Het Rembrandthuis (Rembrandt House)
Book In Advance
US$49.67*
Holland Pass: Best Deals in Amsterdam and Beyond
Ranked #23 of 536 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Rembrandt lived and worked from 1639 to 1658 in this 17th-century house, which today is a museum that pays tribute to the artist's life and career.
Reviewed 12 December 2013

A combination of carefully restored rooms, a collection of paintings that were important to Rembrandt and his studio with easel and pigments. This was a great way to get to know how Rembrandt lived.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,427)

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Went to Rembrant House as I wanted to know more about the man behind the artwork.
We found the house easily and were welcomed with a smile.
The house is full with lots to see and think about. I was most impressed with the 'wood' marble doorfames.
At the top of the house we were able to complete our own etchings. I am not an artist to any meaning of the word however I was able to get a feel for what it would have been like. The fellow that was instructing you what to do was insightful and passionate about art. I was walked through all the steps, even getting ink on my arms, then made prints of my etching. My print was then stuck up on the wall for others to see. (I also go to take home some prints too)

All together it was great to attration to see and do.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Museum Het Rembrandthuis. The scale of the museum is very modest - this in not the Rijksmuseum - but it is was engaging and held our interest for almost two hours. This is a faithful preservation of the house where Rembrandt lived and worked during some of his most productive years. Rembrandt's bankruptcy provided the detailed information for the museum's recreation of the kitchen contents, living areas, and studios. The aspects of the museum that really stood out for us were the presentations by docents on printing of engravings, creation of engravings, and compounding of artist's paint. Each of the docents was well versed in the technical and historic details of his or her field. Rembrandt's influences were well explained in the galleries beside the house.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We were surprised that Rembrandt lived very modestly. You are simply in awe when you visit his studio and think of all the great masterpieces that he painted there. I really recommend a visit.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The staff are very helpful and friendly. There are demonstrations and workshop sessions for the production of etchings and demonstrations on the preparation of paint. It was informative and enjoyable.- and a free coffee next door!