Museum Het Rembrandthuis (Rembrandt House)
Book In Advance
US$49.74*
Holland Pass: Best Deals in Amsterdam and Beyond
Ranked #22 of 535 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Rembrandt lived and worked from 1639 to 1658 in this 17th-century house, which today is a museum that pays tribute to the artist's life and career.
Reviewed 16 May 2014

It was amazing to see where this great artist lived and worked. The museum has a lot of great information posted in each room, and there is even an artist showing printing in the old style of Rembrandt. After watching the demonstration, you can even design and make a print of your own to take home for free, which I highly recommend. This museum also houses a lot of Rembrandt's print work, which is very neat because most places focus on his paintings alone. It is truly surreal to walk in a master's footsteps. For those who enjoy a good bargain, there is a flea market right around the corner from here selling anything you could want from antiques to modern fashion. The market is open till 4 Monday-Saturday and closed Sundays. We paired the museum and the market and it made for a neat experience.

1  Thank meg m
Write a ReviewReviews (5,432)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I love to see historic homes. This was a very enjoyable and educational tour. I didn't know much about Rembrandt and felt that seeing his home gave me a new perspective on his work and they do also share a bit of his personal history. I'm not an artist, but I was thoroughly entranced by the etching demonstration done in one of Rembrandt's actual workshops. Walking through this museum I was able to imagine how Rembrandt and those of his time really lived.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I really enjoy Dutch artist. We especially enjoy Vermeer's paintings. I know it is the Rembrandt museum, but they actually have the largest collection of Vermeer's paintings in the world. All four paintings (there are only about 300 in existence) are at this museum. The Kitchen maid being my favorite. Rembrandt's Draper's Guild was my favorite. A bunch of business men sitting at a table busy at work and then you walk in and they all look at you and why your are here. I really appreciated the unpretentious dutch artist they exhibit at this museum. More common man then church influences in my opinion. Doesn't one art class in college make me an expert? My point is that this is the first museum that I have gone to that I could relate to and not try to figure out what the artist was trying to convey. Hope that helps.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had an interesting visit to see how Rembrandt lived and worked. You get to learn a little of his techniques and there are works to look at. Worth a visit

Reviewed 7 May 2014

You might think you saw enough of Rembrandt in the Rijksmuseum. You would be mistaken. His home and atelier provide wonderful insight into his aesthetic, down to the materials he collected and the pigments and plates he used for paintings and prints. There is an excellent lecture/demonstration of engraving on the top floor.