“BIERBERG aMSTERDAM”

Bilderberg Garden Hotel
Ranked #112 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Had a great stay there.
Friendly staff rooms were superb, they put a cot in for my grandaughter in her mums room.
Lovely touch of turning your night light on and leaving 2 apples every evening when you return to your room.
Close to tram system, high street of shops but not many restauarnts to choose from.

Hotel bar food menu excellent, restaurant looked lovel but we didnt use it as the cost was expensive but the menu was n't suitable for an toddler any way.
Definitely reccommend.
K and D pEACE oCTOBER 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have just returned from a weekend break to Amsterdam with a friend, I found the hotel to be everything it said it was. The staff were lovely and very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfy, WIFI worked well wherever we were in the hotel, breakfast was good and there was plenty to choose from. The hotel is situated in a nice area close to the centre and quiet. We did not eat dinner there so I can not comment. Bar staff were great! If and when I return to Amsterdam I would be more than happy to stay there again, by European standards I can see why it has 5*s by UK standards I would say it is more of a 4*.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SaraHaywood
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is a second rate hotel at first-rate hotel prices. Strengths are staff who are always willing to help, and a location in a very pleasant part of the city where you are away from the swirling masses of tourists and instead can watch how Amsterdamers live and go about their daily lives. There is a Starbucks just 5 minutes walk away and you can sit outside and watch the world go buy. There are several other cosy cafes on the same street too.

Then there are the weaknesses. The rooms are bland, decor is uninspiring and TVs a bit on the small side. All internet must be paid for - even for use in the lobby! The heating system in my room would only blow out cold air. When I asked for this to be seen to, I was given a little fan heater to plug in. Why pay 200 euro a night to sit in a room with a little fan heater plugged in? This made it feel more like a bedsit than a hotel room. Took me back to my student days.

The hotel bar is tiny and no use. Fortunately, the Hilton is just across the road and they have an excellent bar where I drank good martinis and watched the busy action at the bar. There was also a log fire and a generally good atmosphere. The bar food was also good. I had some reasonably priced champagne and caviar. A great snack.

As many others have said, the breakfast is expensive and boring. The whole experience was one of being in a place whose prices matched its pretensions but not its quality.

Next time I stay in Amsterdam it will be the Hilton.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is often tagged as a 5 star hotel - and the prices of the restaurant €22 for breakfast and hefty prices for starters and entrees would seem to support this. Overall though it is probably stretching it to say it is 4 star. It looks the business, all staff uniformed etc, but the underlying infrastructure etc lets it down a bit. They insist on €50 per room, per day in either cash or a credit/debit card, up-front to cover costs booked to room - even if you state you will not be having breakfast etc. We rarely had top ups of the meagre tea/coffee making items - but they do like giving you apples - everywhere you go there are apples!!!!! Room was fine though, very comfy, and the staff were very helpful. As this is the second time we've used this hotel, next time we may try somewhere different, but overall we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colincoach
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We have stayed at this Hotel before and rebooked based on old memories. Sadly it did not like up to its old reputation. We made a last minute reservation for 4 nights and were disappointed with the size and dull view from our room. Far too expensive. They used to offer a really special breakfast now for 20 odd euros it is mediocre. The tables were not re-laid from earlier diners and everything had to be requested eg tea and coffee, adequate hot water, fruit juice glasses even fruit juice, poorly cooked and cold. Wouldn't risk it again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Booked a room three weeks in advance, arrived on the day of my reservation, checked-in and went to my room, only to discover that my "deluxe double or twin room - one large double" (I quote from my reservation), was in fact the sitting room of a suite, with a large table, where a collapsible sofa-bed had been placed. Went down to the reception and asked for a room with a proper bed. Long discussion on what a bed actually is, which finally ended in their conceding that the hotel was full, and they had adapted the sitting room of a suite. Why give it to me who had booked three weeks in advance? "Because the management thought it was only for one night and you wouldn't mind" Insisted in having a room, smaller, bigger, whatever, but with a normal bed, no way. They offered a discount, which I turned down and volunteered to pay more if necessary, but to give me a room with a bed, which I thought was not asking too much.
Eventually they moved me out of the hotel, to the Hilton across the street. Which I recommend warmly.
Whereas regarding the Bilderberg palace, if you really have to book there, make sure there is a real bed in your bedroom.
Sole good thing: the young lady that took care of me at the reception was very nice.

Room Tip: if you really have to book there, make sure there is a real bed in your bedroom. (I enclose picture...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RomaMurena
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I'm not sure i can think of one positive thing to say about this hotel, except for the politeness of the staff. It is not 4* let alone 5. It resembles an old-peoples home (and the elevator smells as such). The rooms are ok, but of 3* standard. There is a 17€ charge for internet access, but the icing on the cake is the 17€50 charge for access to the fitness centre 'over the road'. I've never stayed in a 5* star hotel that charges for such facilities!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business