“GREAT GUIDE TO ARNHEM BATTLEFIELD”
Review of History Trips

History Trips
Ranked #26 of 450 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours are very much personalized because they are limited to 8 persons and guided by a qualified historian. Enjoy Amsterdam in the Golden Age (walking tour). Starting from Amsterdam, other tours discover the Middle Ages, WWI, and WWII. Examples of trips: A day in the Middle Ages (Bruges or Castle tour), Battlefields of WWI (Ypres), Retrace the Battle of Arnhem (Market Garden 1944).
Reviewed 14 August 2014

History Trips is a one-man operation, but the proprietor is a terrific guide. We were very pleased to go with him all over the battlefield of Arnhem (seen in the film A BRIDGE TOO FAR). Unlike Normany or WWI battlefields, this one is all over then place and less physical sites are available to see, so the guide really has to know his stuff. If you want to do a tour of this battle or of Amsterdam, I can recommend this company. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Bondanella
"deep knowledge"
"world war ii"
"subject matter"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Murk gave our small group a guide of two castles. Murk is very professional, very knowledgeable, and quite entertaining! He even picked us up and dropped us off from where we were staying. If you are in Amsterdam and looking for historical tours, I can't recommend him enough. He was even willing to modify the tour to our specific interests.

1  Thank Ryan492
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I just got back from the medieval castle tour with Murk. He is the man! From the beginning it was clear that he loved what he did and Murk did a great job explaining the Middle Ages in a fun and very informal manner. Additionally he is very flexible. Upon learning that our party was full of WWII buffs, he made a detour to the "Crossroads" battle and another detour to the British drop zones. Even with these spontaneous accommodations, he still had maps to go along with his expert explanations. I cannot stress enough how great of an experience this was. Definitely worth it- the tour was very affordable compared to other rates, but I almost felt guilty at the end because I felt that I had stolen something as I got way more than I paid. Thanks Murk!!!

1  Thank BillFromOhio
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Murk is extremely knowledgeable and such a friendly fellow. My husband and I were on a tight schedule with only a day in port but Murk managed to give us a wonderfully interesting and informative day in Oosterbeek and Arnhem. With visits to sites of paratrooper drops, cemetery, memorials, museum, the John Frost Bridge, and the escape routes of the armed forces, Murk's historical knowledge of this battle area gave us an intimate insight into this wonderfully interesting battle area. A fantastic tour and a real life history lesson. Murk should be your chosen guide in this area for anything historical.

1  Thank AustraliaMoz
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I received an excellent overview of Dutch expansion and economic boom in the 16th and 17th centuries from Murk Dijkstra. He provided an architectural overview of styles from different decades and was able to explain Amsterdam's growth and prosperity during this era. The walk took us from the original walled city around various canals and walkways in the Old Town. Some of his personal anecdotes and insights added a lot more perspective on Dutch history and Dutch culture.